RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

reach

May 8, 2006, 1:19 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

REI accepts returns on climbing gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I bought a harness from REI a month ago. I found a better one for a better price before I used it. My experience with other retailers had been that they don't accept returns on any climbing gear. I understand the policy and support it. Once the gear leaves the store there is no way of knowing what shape it is in. This is why I was very surprised to learn from a friend that REI DOES ACCEPT RETURNS ON CLIMBING GEAR!! I didn't believe it. I went down there yesterday to try and return the harness. They were happy to take it back. They didn't even inspect the thing. I could have taken a huge fall in the thing or cut the belay loop for all they know. In my opinion this is a bad policy. I for one won't be buying any more gear from REI simply because they have no way of guaranteeing the quality of their product. What does everyone else think of this?

treez

May 8, 2006, 1:22 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Re: REI accepts returns on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They will destroy it and we will collectively take the hit. Thanks!

sbaclimber

May 8, 2006, 1:30 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I doubt they will destroy it. It will probably just end up in the bargin bin (or eBay :lol: ). Just as long as they do not sell it as unused.... :shock:

boondock_saint

May 8, 2006, 1:34 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if I can return my climbing shoes? The toes are getting pretty busted ...

schmidtya8

May 8, 2006, 1:35 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They don't sell any climbing equipment that is returned, with the exception of somethings that they'll sell in the "scratch and dent sale" (ex. shoes, so I have heard). Their policy is for every customer to 100% satisfied, that is why they'll accept returns.

stuckinmidwest

May 8, 2006, 1:36 AM
Post #6 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With harnesses they typically cut off the buckles and leg loops and toss it in the trash. Thats what they did at the one I worked for. No climbing gear gets returned to the shelves and resold. Hardware (caribiners, cord lengths) got used in our warehouse or destroyed.

sbaclimber

May 8, 2006, 1:40 AM
Post #7 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
With harnesses they typically cut off the buckles and leg loops and toss it in the trash. Thats what they did at the one I worked for. No climbing gear gets returned to the shelves and resold. Hardware (caribiners, cord lengths) got used in our warehouse or destroyed.
I stand corrected.....impressive. I am glad to see a business that considers customer satisfaction worth the extra cost incurred (even though it is eventually passed back to the customer anyway).

jcasper

May 8, 2006, 2:14 AM
Post #8 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a pair of Mad Rock flashes from REI once upon a time. I tried and tried to break them in to my feet. Stretching them with a metal rod, wearing around the house, etc. After a month or so I gave up on them, they just aren't shaped for my feet, and threw them in the closet. Almost a year later I heard REI was great with returns so I pulled them out and took them in. The shoes were pretty beat up from trying to break them in, I could very well have been using them for months, I didn't have a receipt (but they had a record of my membership account), and they took them back, full cash refund, no questions. I was certainly a satisfied customer.

It worked out well for them, I used the cash and an extra $20 or something to buy some Galileos. Something I probably wouldn't have purchased if I wasn't able to take the Flash's back, and if I had, it might not have been at REI.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

May 8, 2006, 2:16 AM
Post #9 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

REI is a co-op - as you probably know... ergo, buying/returning commodity that makes up the business you've bought into...

re: shoes... they have attic sales... most of the shoes are BARELY worn... a lot of new climbers buy the wrong size and/or try the shoe once after its purchase... those are resold (if not in funky state) at the sales... friend bought my recent katana's (priced at 109$-130$) for less then 15$... they were not smelly, broken into, and/or had worn soles... tag indicated that size was the factor of its return...

blk

Partner climboard

May 8, 2006, 2:42 AM
Post #10 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So let me get this straight- you don't believe that REI should allow returns on climbing gear, yet you took your harness back to save a few bucks, and now you are complaining about it?

So if they told you to get lost would you be praising them?

jakedatc

May 8, 2006, 2:53 AM
Post #11 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So let me get this straight- you don't believe that REI should allow returns on climbing gear, yet you took your harness back to save a few bucks, and now you are complaining about it?

he's a bastard... and cheap.. he's a cheap bastard.. you can't expect a whole lot.

but yea. ive only seen shoes during the garage sales for climbing gear. EMS will also destroy any gear returned also.. but i bet they are more selective with what they are willing to take back.

saxfiend

May 8, 2006, 3:06 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the OP sounds like a major ingrate!

I also find it strange to see so many negative comments about REI in other threads, as if they were some sort of WalMart . . . I prefer to support my local climbing gear store (all things being equal), but there's nothing wrong with REI.

JL

climbingbums

May 8, 2006, 3:09 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you to rei for the service, but people taking advantage of this may cause it to change. just remember, be honest about your returns and make sure its a good reason for a return. bad karmas a bitch!!!

bobby

rhythm164

May 8, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #14 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I doubt they will destroy it. It will probably just end up in the bargin bin (or eBay :lol: ). Just as long as they do not sell it as unused.... :shock:

no no, they're most definitley destroy it, it's company policy in most chain shops like that to do whatever to make the customer happy, but they won't resell the gear.

[quote="jakedatc. EMS will also destroy any gear returned also.. but i bet they are more selective with what they are willing to take back.
I work for EMS, and the company will take back pretty much anything. Even stank ass used hiking boots. As far as climbing gear goes, shoe will get restocked if they're not manky, but any hardware is destroyed or used for this or that around the store.

alwaysclimbing07

May 8, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like that they allow returns, cuz whenever they get enough returned equipment, then they have a huge sale of the stuff, and i was able to get a pair of prana pants and 3 pairs of prana shorts all for 18 dollars. so i guess i probably wouldn't trust a buying a pre-used harness there, but i think all in all there's nothing wrong with accepting returns

madhardclimber

May 8, 2006, 5:17 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea the return policy is nice and the only climbing gear that gets resold is shoes or like prana pants. Any thing beyond that is destroyed to make sure no one gets a hold of used climbing gear that might be damaged. Really a good policy overall and fairly responsible on rei's part. The garage or attic sales are a good way to get new shoes for super cheap.

thetroutscout

May 8, 2006, 7:10 AM
Post #17 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Multiple times I've had REI employees market their return policy as a "try before you buy." Specifically, I was trying on soft shells and was deciding between two. The guy helping me told me to buy them both, try them out for awhile and then bring back the one I didn't like. I've overheard the same thing at the climbing display. Some guy was deciding what kind of ascender to buy and again they employee told him to try two different ones out. There goes $60 down the drain for REI and they brought it on themselves. I don't get it. I try not to abuse their policy. If I go out and snag a thread on my new poly breathable tee I'm not going to take it back. On the flip side I do enjoy buying all that stuff at the garage sales. I do rest easy knowing that if there is a problem it can be easily fixed.

Does REI train its employees to use such selling tactics or are these isolated individual decisions?

^^ike

carp

May 8, 2006, 8:34 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are isolated individual decisions. The employees in question may have understood the gear, but unfortunately they did not understand the point of the return policy and proper customer service (nobody's perfect). The 100% guarantee is there as the customers' safety net; we try to get people the right gear the first time, so they don't have to mess around with returns.

The "they'll make us pay for it some how" cynicism is also misplaced. I've heard a number of people say things like that, but it just isn't true. If a product has enough warranty issues that it becomes a financial liability, REI is not going to charge customers more for it.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook