RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

theirishman

May 15, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #1 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

i need awsome all day shoe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im looking for a very comfortable all day trad shoe. I have anasazis but they hurt after 3-4hours to the point of my having to climb in bare feet on trad!!!!!!!! I need a good crack shoe that wont wear out soon and has great comfort, i look at the 5.10Pitons but i dont know about there comfort, i also looked into trad master, anything els?

dudemanbu

May 15, 2006, 1:09 AM
Post #2 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Re: i need awsome all day shoe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the tradmasters are what tommy caldwell used on most of the pitches to climb the nose and freerider back to back in a day.

I've been looking at the pitons myself because 5.10's tend to fit my foot better than sportivas. I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter.

thegreytradster

May 15, 2006, 1:25 AM
Post #3 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might try Boreal Aces also. I think they are about the last of the board lasted shoes out there.

Wish I could get a new pair of Kalculators.

tonloc

May 15, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #4 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pretty sure caldwell wore the miuras but i may be wrong...if you fit a shoe right, any shoe can work all day, i wear anasazi's all day now rarely taking them off because i fit them right and the shoes work for me...

r_fisher

May 15, 2006, 1:28 AM
Post #5 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Re: i need awesome all day shoe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Five Ten just made a new shoe specifically for Trad called the Altia. Foam lined with a shock absorbing heel. They certainly look comfortable.

http://www.zappos.com/...p/10733316/c/11.html

Partner hosh

May 15, 2006, 1:36 AM
Post #6 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had nothing but good feelings from my Evolve Bandits. I really appreciate the fit, they form to my foot well, and they perform. I know that there will be a lot of differing opinions on this, but that's my vote.

hosh.

dudemanbu

May 15, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #7 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
pretty sure caldwell wore the miuras but i may be wrong....

you are wrong.

tonloc

May 15, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #8 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

got a pic or a site or something i haven't seen any pics of him wearing anything but miuras, just interested not meaning to be annoying...so ill hold off on being wrong for now

dudemanbu

May 15, 2006, 2:52 PM
Post #9 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
got a pic or a site or something i haven't seen any pics of him wearing anything but miuras, just interested not meaning to be annoying...so ill hold off on being wrong for now

You don't need to hold off on being wrong. You're wrong. :lol:

He wore tradmasters for the majority of the pitches on both of those climbs. Check the photo spreads from the rag's. It's pretty obvious he's not in miura's... and it's mentioned in one of the articles.

krusher4

May 15, 2006, 3:11 PM
Post #10 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you tried on those 5.10's there like wearing freaking hiking boots. Unless your a really strong climber I do not see you being able to break the 5.10 range with those babies.

microbarn

May 15, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #11 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had mythos and now tradmasters.

I like the tradmasters. They are what they advertise. They are comfortable all day shoes. They make your feet sweat like you wouldn't believe though.

However, the tradmasters lack in the precision department. I expect I will not get them resoled in the future. I will probably go back to mythos. When sized appropriately, the mythos are comfortable, and the precision is not totally lost. I have not found the padding that is present in tradmasters to be of an advantage. Maybe aiders differ in opinion from me.

The tradmasters didn't stretch, but the mythos stretched a tremendous amount.

***The mythos are a different version now then when I owned them. I don't know if they changed anything other than the color of the shoe though.***

domx

May 16, 2006, 6:56 PM
Post #12 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just got a pair of 5.10 coyote and i have tryed the muira, trad master, and many other. The straight design make it really comfy, quite stiff for crack yet sensitive to my standard and good c4 rubber for slabby moves

caughtinside

May 16, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #13 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The real key is fit. You can climb all day in any shoe, so long as it's not sized too tight. I climb all day in katanas frequently.

I'll point out though, that I take my shoes off just about every pitch. More for sweating reasons than comfort.

Good luck.

aimeerose

May 16, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #14 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The new Evolv Evo's are really nice and comfortable, although you may consider asking them to put a thicker sole on them if you're looking at an all day shoe.

alpine_monk

May 16, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #15 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I swore by the trad master until I tried the Red Chillie tornado... great shoe, super comfie and suprisingly acurate toe!

blouderk2

May 16, 2006, 7:15 PM
Post #16 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Skip both of those shoes and get a pair of Evolve Bandits. My favorite trad shoe and they are comfy for all day and then some. End of story.

-Tom

tradclmbr

May 17, 2006, 2:20 PM
Post #17 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would not get the tradmasters myself. I looked at them the other day, tried them on ....... if you want a sense of how they feel go put a couple of condoms on at the same time. Waaaay too stiff and insensitive for me. FYI I was looking at some mags last night while waiting for my wife at a bookstore - Caldwell wore Miuras on really technical pitches and the tradmasters for burly offwidth on Freerider.....so dudeman your WRONG. I bet they are a good offwidth shoe, but since offwidth is a neccesary evil for me rather than a sought after climbing style I wouldnt own these boards

boulder_junky

May 30, 2006, 3:04 AM
Post #18 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am Probably severely under qualified to put in my two cents but I will anyways. Personally i really like the Evolve Kaos shoes that I own now. Sadly, I am the product of modern, gym climbing and have only been climbing outdoors once :( (although this will change soon). However, I can climb all day in them and I find that they are really comfortable, although this could be because (as others have mentioned) i sized them bigger than most may.

tonloc

May 30, 2006, 3:45 AM
Post #19 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Would not get the tradmasters myself. I looked at them the other day, tried them on ....... if you want a sense of how they feel go put a couple of condoms on at the same time. Waaaay too stiff and insensitive for me. FYI I was looking at some mags last night while waiting for my wife at a bookstore - Caldwell wore Miuras on really technical pitches and the tradmasters for burly offwidth on Freerider.....so dudeman your WRONG. I bet they are a good offwidth shoe, but since offwidth is a neccesary evil for me rather than a sought after climbing style I wouldnt own these boards

Thank you Tradclmbr for restoring my faith in myself and the community of RC.com

dudemanbu

May 30, 2006, 5:02 AM
Post #20 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

No i'm not. You'll see when the new dosage comes out. He wears them on the vast majority of the pitches, and only puts the miuras on for the hardest pitches (think over 5.12) Not to mention you can see him clearly wearing the tradmasters in most of the shots in alpinist 15.

I realize i may have come off as a jerk earlier, but that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to get across what a great shoe the tradmasters are for all day (and night) trad.

freeledgeledgy

May 30, 2006, 5:10 AM
Post #21 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mythos or evolv quest

rallen

May 30, 2006, 7:14 AM
Post #22 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Boreal Ace is a very comfortable shoe. It is board lasted, so besides being very comfy, it is also ideal for jamming into cracks. Overall it is good except for very little sensitivity.

Partner climbinginchico

May 30, 2006, 7:24 AM
Post #23 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've had nothing but good feelings from my Evolve Bandits. I really appreciate the fit, they form to my foot well, and they perform. I know that there will be a lot of differing opinions on this, but that's my vote.

hosh.

What he said. Basically the only shoes I wear anymore.

Partner climbinginchico

May 30, 2006, 7:27 AM
Post #24 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

hosh.

What he said. Basically the only shoes I wear anymore.

slimper

Jun 3, 2006, 7:30 PM
Post #25 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For day long routes, my vote goes to the Mythos. They're made of leather thats from the belly of the cow. This leather is higher in fat which makes is softer. So the shoe can stretch to conform to the shape of your foot. However, because of the soft leather these shoes do stretch a full size. So buy small.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook