RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

tx713tx

May 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #1 of 7 (947 views)
Shortcut

HELP, what mountaineering boots are recommended
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have talked to many outfitters and read everything I can, I need to know from someone who actually uses mountaineering boots to give me some recommendations...Koflach Degre or the more expensive model, Scarpa (inverno), man, this gets confusing!! and no one has pairs to try one in hot and humid Houston. Do I go plastic or the newer materials?

The game plan is climb Aconagua this year and then Denali Mt McKinley, at least that's the goal and I dint want to buy two pairs if one is adequate or upgradeable with different inserts.

Thanks for all the help.

KR

mtn_geek

May 16, 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #2 of 7 (947 views)
Shortcut

Re: HELP, what mountaineering boots are recommended [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just curious as to what brings you to the Degre and Scarpa Inverno?

Granted I have never actually used either, yet the store I work at sells and rents them and I would not have those be my first suggestion for 20,000+ mountains. Our store owner has climbed Denali numerous times and swears by the Koflach Arctis Expe because it's so nicely warm. At 20,000 feet it is insanely cold. So take this reply as you may considering it is only secondhand knowledge as of now.

erclimb

May 16, 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #3 of 7 (947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the koflach degre is for smaller peaks (i.e. rainier)...if you're going high--and especially denali--you'll need the beefier koflach arctis expe, and you'll still need overboots...i found the koflachs to be much more comfortable than the scarpas

anykineclimb

May 16, 2006, 4:40 AM
Post #4 of 7 (947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you say you've talked to a lot of outfitters. What company are you going with to do Aconcagua and Denali? what are their suggestions?

I'll have to second (third?) the suggestion for expes. One option is to order them from REI. Try them on in your house, wander around a bit on the carpet. If they don't fit, return for the right size.

I guess another option would be the LaSportiva Olympic Mons or ever the Millet Everest.

altelis

May 16, 2006, 6:27 AM
Post #5 of 7 (947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i started with the invernos and moved to the expe----climbing in maine and nh i LOVED the expes. a little more ice (vs mtneering) oriented and a HUNDRED times warmer. i was NEVER cold, no matter the wind, wet snow and other fun things mt washington can throw at an ice climber. i swear by them....

of course now that i'm in ut i've traded in the plastic for trango nepal evo and will never look back (at least for straight difficult ice----i will definitely use my expes in the greater ranges....)

so, moral of story----get the expes!

kricir

May 16, 2006, 7:05 AM
Post #6 of 7 (947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I met a guy who climbed Aconcagua in running shoes, no joke!

alpine_chris

May 17, 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #7 of 7 (947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed Aconcagua (south face) and Denali (Cassin) in Scarpa. Depending on the route you are going to climb, you cannot use overboots. Scarpa sells an expedition inner boot. I used it, had as everyone else occasionally cold feet but all in all it worked very well. Enjoy your expes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook