RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

holdeddie

May 22, 2006, 2:47 AM
Post #1 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Training for the AT
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

(I know this is a climbing site but yall can help me with this)
Hello all,
I am going to the AT in July. I need to train because I want to enjoy my trip and not struggle through. I am going with knowledgeable people so I'm good there.
What works for training? I want to get good I live in north Alabama at about 550ish feet above sea level- how much will the altitude affect me?
How do I train- walk with pack, run with pack, run, walk- I'm really at a loss here
I am in good physical shape- I am a avid rock climber and I just need some help
Any training ideas, routines, or anything will help.
Thanks in Advance

rockclimbingpyro

May 22, 2006, 3:33 AM
Post #2 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Re: Training for the AT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well i dont know about training to much but i've always used the Sipsye Wilderness and Taledaga National forest (sp?) in N.Al for training grounds. Wish i could come with you on your hike, i'm hoping to do it in few years.

honus

May 22, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #3 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only way to get in shape for hiking...is hiking!!! just head out on a few weekend trips with a full pack and try to do as many miles as possible. most thru-hikers average 15-20 miles a day, often without any rest days for weeks in a row. my advice is to pack light, get an early start, and go until it starts getting dark. aim for 2-2.5 mph, consistently, and remember to enjoy yourself, there's nothing better than a good day's hiking.

anykineclimb

May 22, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #4 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a training plan I found a while ago and works well. not sure wehn you'll be doin gthe trip, but this plan is set up for a 6 month build up.

In reply to:
Begin with 20% of your bodyweight. Stay with that weight for 2-3 weeks. Accomplish 2-3 trips a week on days you are not running. The set distance is 5 miles. Every three weeks increase your weight but maintain your distance of five miles. Just like running you have to build one quality at a time. You can't run fast AND far at the same time. You get your distance down first, then you work on speed. In rucking, you get your weight bearing capacity down first for a set distance, then increase the distance, then the speed if necessary. If you push yourself properly (fast enough so talking is possible but a bit labored) you should have the speed you need at the end.

Progression is as follows:

week 1-3: 20% bodyweight x5 miles
Week 4-6: 25% x5 miles
Week 7-9: 30% x5 miles
Week 10-12: 40% x5 miles (do not exceed 40% of BW, for me at 175lbs this is 70lbs)
Week 13-14: 40% x6 miles
Week 15-16: 40% x7 miles
Week 17-18: 40% x8 miles
Week 19-20: 40% x10 miles
Week 21-22: 40% x12 miles
Week 23-24: 40% x15 miles

scottquig

May 22, 2006, 5:13 AM
Post #5 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You won't reach 7000 feet on the AT. The elevation should not be a problem. There is no rist of altitude sickness at that level. You may find yourself getting tired slightly more quickly, but it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

porcelainsunset

May 22, 2006, 6:29 AM
Post #6 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few points of advice...

1. Have fun. You are doing this to enjoy yourself most likely. Since you are going to be walking most of your day, go light, super light. Not stupid light, but just really light. Remember, light is not always right however, find gear that works well for you. Wow, can I say that word one my time in a sintance.

2. Hike the PCT next year.

3. Take rest days, every week even, just expect to be doing more than 15-20 miles a day, 20 should be a low mileage day. I have friends who have done 50 miles in one day while they where through hiking.

4. As far as getting in shape goes, I really wouldnt worry about it to much. There is no way you are going to be able to prepare yourself for this journey, unless you start commiting your life to exercise now. You would be better off spending your time working so you can buy a Western Mountaining Highlight sleeping (which weighs 1 pound) maybe a shelter from 6 Moon Designs, and so other crazy light stuff. When you do work out though, go hiking or trail running with a pack. Try and run every single day for like 5 miles or so in town, dont worry about speed obviously, endurance is what you are after. Take care of your body, and do as much as you can to prepare it for the punishment you are about to inflict on it.

5. Oh, and flask olive oil. You are going to need some fat out there.

Good Luck, have fun, and do the PCT next year.

Partner srwings

May 22, 2006, 9:36 AM
Post #7 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to the training hikes previously mentioned, I highly recommend using treking poles, trail runner footware (vs. boots) and investing in ultra light gear. Traveling very light is the key to putting in high mileage and feeling fresh at the end the day. My own kit includes a Go-lite pack, Pepsi can alcohol stove, 1 lb sleeping bag and a Hennessy hammock.

steelhands

May 22, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kinda of a late start for a thru hike. Even so, or even if not a thru hike, do hills for training. The biggest problem for me was going up, up, up for miles on end. then going down, down, down, for miles on end. Knees and toes hurt like hell after day three. Take some ibuprofin, "Vitamin i" with you.

Like others said, go light. Plan on low milage days. For me, my first days out were like maybe 10 miles. This is hard because you will be stopping before it gets dark and will feel like, "I should go on". Don't. Rest, look, take pictures, eat, drink, pee and absorb the surroundings.

I am a loner and never stay in the shelters. Too many mice and snoring, talking, farting, fumbling hikers for my tastes. Note: In the Smokey Mountain National Park, you MUST stay in the shelter because of bears. Avoid SMNP on the weekends, too many boy scouts, weekenders, etc. You must get a permit for SMNP also.

The section just beyond SMNP between Cleamons Dome to Hot Springs NC. is great. Especially, Max Patch. (Don't get stuck on Max Patch during a lightning storm!) The hot springs in Hot Springs are wonderful. (The AT goes right through down town Hot Springs.)

I assume you will be hiking South to North, which is what 90% of thru hikers do. You will actually see fewer people that way because you will be just behind or ahead of the group. If you go North to South, you will pass the crowd, dozens for a few seconds every day.

The thing to remember, is "Hike your own hike". It's your time there. Enjoy it.

Sam

krusher4

May 22, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #9 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a buddy who did the AT a while back, he says the only way to train for extended backpacking trips is to go on one. After two weeks, if you don't bail, your body will be quite use to to the riggours aka you will be lean and mean. It took him 6 months I think, and most drop out after 10 days or something so if you beat that time your pretty much gold. Good Luck.

jabtocrag

May 22, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #10 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I assume you will be hiking South to North, which is what 90% of thru hikers do.

Since the OP is starting in July, he should go North to South. If he heads the other direction, he'll be in for miserable summer conditions at the start and polar opposite winter conditions at the finish.

I also recommend a good non-fiction travelers book by Bill Bryson called "A Walk in the Woods". A very interesting take on hiking the AT.

jemco

May 22, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #11 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope the OP is NOT thru-hiking. If so, you are in for some rough times. Not only is the start time all wrong (most Thru-hikers start at Springer in March/April) but that is a hell of way to start your AT experience. I would treat the AT like any other hiking trip. Most people take too much food, too much crap they don't need and trash their feet quickly. I wouldn't worry too much about your body as much as your feet. I hiked 75% of the AT in trail runners and I would suggest the same--boots are unnecessary as the trail is very well defined and rarely loose. Get your shoes on, and walk. Breaking in your shoes and feet is the best you can do. Also, while most AT long haul hikers average 15+ miles/day, I would shoot more for 8. The point should be to enjoy yourself, not kill yourself. If you just want to be tired all the time, leave the pack at home and run a marathon.
jemco

builttospill

May 23, 2006, 8:34 PM
Post #12 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

does anybody know what the fastest time to complete the AT is? Just curious.

mustang_mike

May 23, 2006, 9:32 PM
Post #13 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last summer I was planning on goin to Yosemite to enjoy my last one off (between jr and snr year of college). Unfortunately I couldn't cz of shoulder/elbow problems so i just hopped on the AT and did West Virginia to Maine. Really didn't even plan. Read Ray Jardine's book Beyond Backpacking which is required reading for anyone hiking the trail (even tho alot of people haven't read it) You'll be fine and have a great time. If you want more info you can PM me cz I have alot of what I think is great advice. I can even point out a few opportunities for climbing along the trail (you could have your shoes for bouldering or even more equipment in a bounce box).

Training specifically? Don't unless you are trying to do a southbound thru-hike starting in july ... then a lil although i was friends with the last southbound thru-hiker last year. Your gonna have to get through the white mountains while not in winter (the trail goes through avalanche areas - although with extensive planning i could see it working out shadily) so your timing is a bit off for any possiblity of going north.

Going south is fun but I'd rather go north. The trail community is great .... but southpaw the last southbound through-hiker last time had a very different and more difficult experience than most thru-hikers.

krusher4

May 23, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #14 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I know a few people have ran the trail, with support teams of course. I don't know the times though.

jabtocrag

May 23, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #15 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Gotta luv google:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/.../50805002/-1/opinion

builttospill

May 23, 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #16 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Gotta luv google:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/.../50805002/-1/opinion

Good call, probably could have done that myself I guess. Thanks.

That's something like 46 miles a day. That' pretty damn impressive.

danutter

May 23, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #17 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods." That will be all the training you'll need.

powair

May 23, 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #18 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I havent hiked any of the AT but i'm hoping to some day. I read "A walk in the woods" its a quality book.

dynoclimber

May 24, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #19 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm doing the AT starting in Feb. 07! Good to see another AT hiker on here. But. It has been proven that after 2 weeks of backpacking, everyone will be at their peak. There's no better training for backpacking than backpacking. Also, try whiteblaze.net, it has a really good forum and it's almost as addicting as rc.com.

steelhands

May 24, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #20 of 20 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also read, "Walking with Spring" by Earl Shaffer, the first thru-hiker. Man, I hardly know what to say about Earl. Hiked it two more times later in life. He loved the trail and did TONS to keep it alive. He made it to just about every single trail gathering for dozens of years.

Earl was to the AT what JL is to climbing. He was a real hardman. Super nice guy. Signed everybody's copy of his book. Completely unassuming. Earl died about 4 years ago, still planning his fourth hike.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook