RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

youngceaser

May 31, 2006, 2:21 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Back flip or Front flip Dismount
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been slacking for a while and can do most of the common things on the slackline and recently Ive wanted to try a back or front flip dismount I can do both on a trampoline and am fairly good at the slackline can anyone tell me how hard these are or and methods for practicing without breaking your neck. Thanks

Partner slacklinejoe

May 31, 2006, 3:29 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Re: Back flip or Front flip Dismount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I wouldn't call them easy but if you can learn to do them on the ground and already have decent slacking skills then you can probably learn them in a few weeks (or quite possibly an afternoon). I practiced the front flip and never really got it, but the back flip I got with practice but still am not reliable enough to do it without pads. Several others on this site seem to have it down cold.

A large crash pad (bouldering pad) is quite suitable for practicing over. Use whatever makes sense to land on, old matteresses and such. Just remember that with softer landing zones you increase risk of turning ankles.

Others might disagree but I'd suggest learning on solid ground first. I never was that good at it on either but when learning on solid ground form is more important on the ground vs just relying on a huge bounce on a trampoline (which you probably can't / might not get and still be stable on a slackline) to do the work for you.

veganboyjosh

May 31, 2006, 4:52 AM
Post #3 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cru jones couldn't pull the backflip until luke took the mattreses away.

youngceaser

May 31, 2006, 4:09 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The line that I usually use is about 35 feet long and between two trees so I can adjust the height as needed. About how high would you recommend the line being before i tried one on it. Thanks

niles

May 31, 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first time I tried a backflip I had someone right next to the line to spot me. They just held their arms ready to support the lower half of my back in case I under roated and came down on my neck. All they have to do is support your weight a little so you can get to your feet. We also had a large crash pad. Just one with the confidence of a spotter was all it took. I did the second one solo and it's been easy since. The first one's the hard one.

Trying it over water isn't a bad idea provided you don't slip on wet webbing.

I agree with Joe too, try doing some back/front flips off of something that doesn't move (and a little higher than you'll set your line), like a bench or boulder, a few times before going for broke. If you go with a spotter this would be a good time for them to learn how to best spot you too.

As for the height of your line...find out how high you need to be on something solid before hand, then set your line at that height or a little lower.

Good luck,
Niles

mushroomsamba

Jun 1, 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #6 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started doing front flips off the ground and now I can do them with no effort off a slackline.

but I would get a pad first and practice with people around so you dont die without people knowing

porcelainsunset

Jun 1, 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #7 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All good advice above. Personally, I find front flips more natural so that is what I started with. I ended up with a really bloody nose and a concussion after my first afternoon of trying. Damn near landed it my first two trys, but on my third my face got to know me knee real well. I didn't try it for another couple of weeks, and then stomped it. Make sure your line is taught as hell when you go for it. Also, weight long enough for the line to spring upwards rather than just asorb your force. Most people who try this for the first time try to just jump off the line to hard and to soon. Waite for the line to push you. Set the line at a comfortable distance, but still somewhat high. Make shure that you are able to stay in complete control when you are jumping onto it, and stay calm. Otherwise, don't break your nose, go for it, and have fun. Good luck.

eric_t83

Jun 4, 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #8 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you guys stand sideways when jumping off? I've always jumped off standing like I do when I'm walking, but in the videos I've seen they've always jumped standing sideways.

niles

Jun 4, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stand the same as if I was walking.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook