RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

prana_37

May 31, 2006, 4:04 AM
Post #1 of 3 (476 views)
Shortcut

Beta on PDX climbing--or nearby
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, I'm coming in town for the weekend only and want to head out get some climbs in quickly. In friday and out monday. I was thinking that Horse Thieves would be a good area b/c its a sure bet it will be dry at least--but I don't really know the area or have a guide book for it. Is there one? If not, can anyone give me some beta on the climbs there. I'm top roping around 5.9-10, am willing to sport lead--but easy climbs only 5.6ish. I'm not sure what the anchor situation or bolts are like out there.

If you have any other recommendations that might be better for that level of climbing--by all means, I'm open to suggestions. Also if anyone cares to join me--u r certainly welcome.

Thanks! Kim

May 31, 2006, 4:32 AM
Post #2 of 3 (476 views)
Shortcut

Re: Beta on PDX climbing--or nearby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought Horse Thief Butte was mainly gear climbs (no bolt anchors)? I have not climbed there yet, so don't quote me on that. (I pass by it at least once a month)

The PDX weekend weather forecast does not look good right now for getting outside, as I am sure you know, but the forecast does change a lot. Maybe the good weather will shift into the weekend.

Will the climbing be a day outing or overnighter?

Day: Rock Butte (weather permitting)
Overnight: Smith

Or just come out to the east side, swing by Walla Walla, and we'll hit up Spring Mountain! :lol:

(Actually I'm working) :cry:

Ken

hemp22

May 31, 2006, 4:04 PM
Post #3 of 3 (476 views)
Shortcut

Re: Beta on PDX climbing--or nearby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Horsethief Butte is more likely to be dry than portland, although the forecast even for there looks kind of iffy for this weekend. There are no fixed anchors or hardware allowed at horsethief. you'll have to build your own gear anchors for everything. most of the climbs can be TR'd. there's not a guide to horsethief that I know of.

If you have a little more time, of course, there's Smith - 3 hours from PDX, but tons of quality stuff in the range that you're looking for, and it's also more likely to be dry than portland.

If it ends up being dry in town, then some of the local crags (Broughton's & Rocky) offer some decent TR'ing possibilities in the 5.10 & under range.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook