Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
New climber from the Bay Area seeking advice.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

beaglebob

May 31, 2006, 5:57 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1053 views)
Shortcut

New climber from the Bay Area seeking advice.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm fairly new to climbing, but very enthusiastic. I have climbed in gyms a few times, and have very limited actual rock experience from several years back. I'm a student in college and so working on a budget, but I would like advice from some fellow Bay Areanite's that know what the best ways to really break into climbing are. I don't have any friends that climb, but I want to learn some of the basics (like what equipment does what, and general safety) so that I can begin climbing without killing myself. I have heard that the Yosemite Mountaineering School is excellent, although it is rather on the steep side financially, and I would have to rustle up a few more enthusiastic friends to come along and dish out as well.

Thank you all so much.

whoa

May 31, 2006, 7:27 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Re: New climber from the Bay Area seeking advice. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YMS is supposed to be great; save up some bucks and you won't regret it. But nearer home and less expensively, the gyms arrange courses on this and that (sport leading, anchors, etc.). Talk to the people at the front desk.

Also read books. Use the search function to look for threads recommending books. I got a bunch in a similar spot to where you are and my faves have been "Climbing: from Gym to Crag", and "Advanced Rock Climbing". It really helps to have read books before heading out---you'll recognize stuff and be able to focus on the stuff you can't get from books.

But ultimately you want to find experienced, safe people to show you the ropes. That can be people you pay or people you find who want a second or who are just stoked to share their knowledge. Meet them at the gym or find them here or post on craigslist for activity partners, or . . .

Go slow.

slablizard

May 31, 2006, 9:17 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup :)

I did a class too, a week long back when I started. You will be with people that actually want to teach you well, that is important, and you'll be with people that is learning too, that makes for a good partner.

Alternatively, go to the gym take classes, lead and then start going out with other people.

Have fun!

Paolo

brutusofwyde

May 31, 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It helps to bring beer for post climb refreshment.

Brewtus

slablizard

Jun 1, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heheheheh

starting teaching him the good habits first hm?

with beer and "other substances" you can pretty much bribe any "experienced" climber to take you along, not to mention that if you were say of the opposite sex it would have been a lot easier to find a mentor....
:)
ehhh so goes life. What's a climbing day without some beer?

In reply to:
It helps to bring beer for post climb refreshment.

Brewtus

mtn_geek

Jun 1, 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In regards to a school, you may also want to look into Mountain Adventure Seminars out of Bear Valley. They provide some great rock climbing courses. May I ask where in the East Bay? In light of purchasing gear, may I suggest visiting Sunrise Mountain Sports in Livermore. If you ask the right people, you may get an intro to rock climbing lesson with your gear purchase. Some of the staff also try to get out climbing at least once a week, so you may be able to tag along sometime in exchange for some gas money or something. A group is going to Indian Rock in Berkeley this Sunday, so you may want to head out that way and see if you can find them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook