RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

xpsucore09x

Jun 7, 2006, 4:14 AM
Post #1 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Helmets
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just started outside climbing and don't have a climbing helmet. I have been using a snowboarding helmet. It is mad heavy and hurts my neck when I look up. It's all I have for now, so I figured its better than nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good helmet? Nothing too rediculously priced, since I am a starving climber. Thanks!

grk10vq

Jun 7, 2006, 4:19 AM
Post #2 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Helmets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good helmet? Nothing too rediculously priced, since I am a starving climber. Thanks!

have you tried a watermelon?

xpsucore09x

Jun 7, 2006, 4:22 AM
Post #3 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, the seeds keep getting in my hair.

treez

Jun 7, 2006, 4:29 AM
Post #4 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shave your head.

weasel

Jun 7, 2006, 4:35 AM
Post #5 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a Petzl Ecrin roc, and I love it. It's a classic and I really trust Petzl's products. I had an Elios too, but either I didn't get the right size, or that was how it was supposed to fit, but I really didn't like it.

In Climbing's helmet review a year or two ago, the C.A.M.P. Silver Star won the editor's choice.

Both the Ecrin Roc and the Silver Star are about 75 bucks though. If you want to spend less, you're going to end up getting less.

Good luck, and good choice to buy a domepiece. It's worth it.

pink_chalk

Jun 7, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #6 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL...

This is what I wear and have been very happy with...

Petzl Ecrin Roc Helmet
$84.00 -- check out www.rei.com for comparables.

Yeah this stuff is expensive and a helmet (imho) is just as important to a good harness. scrounge change for a solid bucket. they can save your life :)

phang_nga

Jun 7, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #7 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got CAMP Rock Star helmets. They're sturdy and fairly comfy. I forget what I paid for them, but I remember them being very reasonably priced.

yetanotherdave

Jun 7, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #8 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my wife and i both have, and love, the petzl elios. really light, comfy, and good headlamp clips. Not the cheapest, but worth the $$.

davidji

Jun 7, 2006, 6:04 AM
Post #9 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If funds are tight you might look for a hardhat on Ebay. Plenty of deals, both good & bad to be found. Hardhats aren't the lightest, but they're comfy & inexpensive, and probably more reliable used than an expanded polystyrene helmet.

IIRC, my modern hardhats are in the 400g-450g range, and my newer boarding helmet also. My retired-because-it's-too-heavy boarding helmet was heavier.

Helmets usually list their weight inside. Check to make sure you're getting a lighter one.

phang_nga

Jun 7, 2006, 6:14 AM
Post #10 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder how hardhats rate on impact when compared to rock climbing helmets??

davidji

Jun 7, 2006, 6:56 AM
Post #11 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wonder how hardhats rate on impact when compared to rock climbing helmets??
Those aren't mutually exclusive categories. Plenty of hardhat climbing helmets in the Ebay link I posted.

reg

Jun 7, 2006, 12:31 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i first went outside - in order to save a buck - i bought a hard hat from grainger with a chin strap ( $15 or so) - i thought i was good to go! when my friend saw it he LOL and said no no - i'll lend you one of mine and went on to explain that climbing helmets were just that - designed for climbing and the associated hazzards. what i took away from that was: use the appropriate gear. you don't wanna use hardware store quick links instead of biners do ya? NO of course not - so get a proper helmet.
even with my kong helmet my neck still hurts from lookin up a lot.

bill413

Jun 7, 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #13 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, the seeds keep getting in my hair.
Trophy.

As has been said - it's best to use the helmet designed for the job. You're already experiencing the problems with using a helmet optimized for one job in a different sport. Yes, it does give you protection (and a hardhat would give some also) - but there are better designs, engineered specifically for rock cllimbing.

shiggetyshiva

Jun 7, 2006, 1:55 PM
Post #14 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually if you browse the sale sections of various websites (REI, EMS, mountaingear, and so on) you can find a helmet for around $40 plus shipping. I picked up a Petzl Elios for $45 and have no complaints. It's so light I forget I'm even wearing it sometimes.

redlegrangerone

Jun 7, 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #15 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Petzl Ecrin Roc. Love it. But my neck still hurts from looking up all day too.

buckyllama

Jun 7, 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #16 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an ecrin roc too. It sucks. They are very tall and heavy. They have minimal protection for the back of your head (think inverted fall).

I recently got a petzl elios. It's lighter, lower profile, cooler, has better back of head protection (though still pretty minimal), cheaper, and much more comfortable. I have no concerns about it's durabiltiy either.

For the ultimate in comfort, the new meteors are REALLY nice, but pricey and fragile.

davidji

Jun 7, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #17 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have an ecrin roc too. It sucks. They are very tall and heavy. They have minimal protection for the back of your head (think inverted fall).
One of the reasons I chose the Ecrin Roc was the shell is further from the back of the head than with the similar hardhat helmets I looked at. And it was more comfortable & cooler than the EPS-style (which may have improved since then: I've had the Ecrin Roc for years).

Anyway I've taken a fall where I banged the back of my head and I was impressed with how well the Ecrin Roc protected me. I've banged my head wearing various EPS helmets and they don't always protect very well. We like to think that EPS helmets are good and the other style bad for fall protection, but reality is much more complex.

As far as the weight, lighter would be nice, but not at any cost. I've got a lighter hardhat (Wild Country), but the Petzl fit adjustment is nicer, and the WC remains a spare helmet.

markc

Jun 7, 2006, 4:38 PM
Post #18 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The cheapest helmet I could find in a quick search was the Camp Rock Star, available for $50.

However, I'd recommend finding a comfortable helmet you really like and finding a way to pay for it. If you buy strictly based on price, you may find you own a helmet that you don't wear. I hate to encourage anyone to prey on people's fear of climbing, but tell your folks you were looking at some really nice helmets the other day, but couldn't afford the one you really liked. I'd be surprised if you didn't come out of it with a few bucks.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 7, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #19 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually got lucky and found a comfortable & light "no name" helment off pagangear.com. I have no idea who the mfg is, it just lists "rock helmets" but is likely a rebranded one like Climb Ace or something. It's rated and comfortable enough not to forgo it's use - that's all I needed and it was around $30.

Petzl has the Meteor III that looks nice too, probably not cheap but it felt pretty sweet to handle.

rhythm164

Jun 7, 2006, 5:02 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I traded my Ecrin Roc up for a BD Half Dome, which I like much better as it's lower profile, and I don't clunk my noggin around when I'm up under a roof. My suggestion would be to check the gear reviews on this site, as there are many of them all by climbers.

Partner gandolf

Jun 7, 2006, 6:52 PM
Post #21 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my Petzel Elios helmet. It fits well and is relatively cool on the head (an important feature in AZ). The price ($60) was very reasonable.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook