Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Mountain Gear WTF!?!?! Why are you selling recalled MaxCams?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

geotracker

Jun 7, 2006, 8:28 AM
Post #1 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Mountain Gear WTF!?!?! Why are you selling recalled MaxCams?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so I just got my nice shiny MaxCams #1 and #2 from Mountain Gear. Guess what? The #1 is from the recall batch. So can someone please explain why the hell Mountain Gear did not pull that batch and return them? Now I have to ship this cam to Trango out of my pocket for a replacement. This is total BULLSH!T. Brand new cam and I have to send it back. Would have loved to try them this weekend instead I have to wait another week. WOO HOO!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

anykineclimb

Jun 7, 2006, 9:08 AM
Post #2 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mountain Gear WTF!?!?! Why are you selling recalled MaxC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Why are you bitching to us???

I bet if you contacted Mountain Gear, you would have been credited the return postage; at the very least.

Have you even contacted them? :?

geotracker

Jun 7, 2006, 9:15 AM
Post #3 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Recall started end of March. I ordered last Friday. You'd think they would have sent of all their recalled cams to Trango by now. REI had those Aliens off the shelf pretty damn quick.

I'm just saying Mountain Gear needs to be better than this. Selling recalled cams is not a good way to stay in business. And yes I will contact them, but seeing how it's 2am right now I doubt the right people would be awake in WA right now.

ronolsen

Jun 7, 2006, 9:18 AM
Post #4 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does the top of the head of the stem have a double-punch marking? If so, the cam has been repaired by Trango. See http://www.trango.com/pdfs/MCfaq.pdf for a photo showing the punch marks on repaired cams.

reg

Jun 7, 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #5 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I bet if you contacted Mountain Gear, you would have been credited the return postage; at the very least.

hey - they missed one - good help is getting harder to find these days!
I doubt MG is knowingly shipping these products. call them - explain - and ask for a pre-paid "shipping label" or return authorization number and send it back for credit or exchange

Partner j_ung

Jun 7, 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #6 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. MG is a stand-up company owned and operated by stand-up people. You should definitely give them the chance to make it right.

jonqdoe

Jun 7, 2006, 1:27 PM
Post #7 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's going on with mgear's site right now? They hardly have any climbing pro for sale, and the whole "active" section is gone. Is anyone else seeing this, or is my browser just crazy?

mgear_pres

Jun 7, 2006, 1:45 PM
Post #8 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mountain Gear Reply [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Below is the email I just sent to Geotracker, Thanks to those of you who pointed this post out to me. Sure we did not do it "on purpose", but if it actually is a cam subject to the recall we'll take care of it, figure out how it happened and fix it.

Hi Geo,
I think you might be the customer posting on RC.com about a Maxcam #1 that you believe was subject to the recall and was shipped to you. If that is the case please contact me personally (Paul Fish 800-829-2009 ext 200) and we will take care of you. I would love to have the cam back to take a look at and can ship you another one overnight that we have hand inspected so you will be climbing this weekend. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience so we can resolve this to your satisfaction. We want you to be confident in your gear and our company, I am not sure what happened here but promise that if we made an error we will learn from it.

Regards
Paul Fish
President
Mountain Gear, Inc
800-829-2009 ext 200

climbingnurse

Jun 7, 2006, 1:48 PM
Post #9 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Umm... Decaf dude. Decaf.

mowz

Jun 7, 2006, 1:54 PM
Post #10 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. I've always had good experiences with mgear, but the letter that Paul posted goes beyond what I expect from any retailer. Just goes to show that mom and pop stores do take care of their customers; beating the chains one customer at a time.

microbarn

Jun 7, 2006, 1:57 PM
Post #11 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What's going on with mgear's site right now? They hardly have any climbing pro for sale, and the whole "active" section is gone. Is anyone else seeing this, or is my browser just crazy?
works for me

mgear...thanks for being a stand up company. Seems like you definitely are going above and beyond the called for measures. Geo didn't even give you a chance to clear things up before exploding. Good for you guys.

glyrocks

Jun 7, 2006, 2:52 PM
Post #12 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Umm... Decaf dude. Decaf.

yea no shit, relax dude.

once again, mgear shows outstanding customer service.

wjca

Jun 7, 2006, 3:05 PM
Post #13 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Notice that the post from mgear is from the president of the company, posting his direct phone number for the world to see, not some lower level customer service rep. That is a company that wants to take care of its customers. Very nice to see from a company to whom I have sent more money that I care to recall, never with even a slight problem.

bluering

Jun 7, 2006, 3:16 PM
Post #14 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now that's customer service....

Mountain Gear rocks!!!!!!

carl12

Jun 7, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #15 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Relax for a second. I just got my #1 Max Cam from ACME Climbing and freaked out because it was from the recalled batch. BUT, I talked to a nice guy at Trango who explained that if it has the two dimples punched in the to of the stem, (see picture in the link posted above) it means that it has been inspected and/or repaired by Trango, and it is good to go. I can't wait to go play with mine soon.
Carl

climbingbetty22

Jun 7, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #16 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear Mr. Fish,
I second the statement that "Mountain Gear rocks!" I would like, however to offer a suggestion to help MGear rock even more. Perhaps Mgear can implement some sort of frequent-buyer incentive. Ten percent off of your future orders have you spent x- number of dollars, reward points, etc. I love the selection that MGear offers, but with frequent-buyer incentives, I often find I can obtain a certain item cheaper through another company. I'm certain us dirtag's would really appreciate it:D
Oh yes, an impressive response to our over-caffeinated, cam-buying friend! Bravo!

Sincerely,
Climbingbetty

dingus

Jun 7, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #17 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wow. I've always had good experiences with mgear, but the letter that Paul posted goes beyond what I expect from any retailer.

No way bro! That is basic customer service 101 right there.

We all get used to Walmart and then act durprised when we come across a retailer who doesn't offload customer service onto the customer and we act surprised!

Good job mgear.

DMT

hemp22

Jun 7, 2006, 3:51 PM
Post #18 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do hope that the original poster checks out the Trango link above to see if the MaxCams were still in the recall, or if they'd already been inspected

Nice work Paul. It's refreshing to see that level of customer service, and once again it makes me feel good about buying from mgear.

(now if we could just hurry up with those mammut 6mm dyneema slings that I've been waiting for... :wink: )

sumo

Jun 7, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #19 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Recall started end of March. I ordered last Friday. You'd think they would have sent of all their recalled cams to Trango by now. REI had those Aliens off the shelf pretty damn quick.

I'm just saying Mountain Gear needs to be better than this. Selling recalled cams is not a good way to stay in business. And yes I will contact them, but seeing how it's 2am right now I doubt the right people would be awake in WA right now.

Actually REI wasn't even one of the first companies to take action to the Recall.

Who decided to pull test their inventory?
A: Mgear
Who really got the ball rolling and the word out about the recall?
A: Mgear

It is unfortunate that you received a recalled cam and I am glad you noticed . To say Mgear doesn't care about the safety of their gear seems a little over the top.

Climb safe

S

reg

Jun 7, 2006, 4:18 PM
Post #20 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi Geo,
I think you might be the customer posting on RC.com about a Maxcam #1 that you believe was subject to the recall and was shipped to you. If that is the case please contact me personally (Paul Fish 800-829-2009 ext 200) and we will take care of you. I would love to have the cam back to take a look at and can ship you another one overnight that we have hand inspected so you will be climbing this weekend. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience so we can resolve this to your satisfaction...... I am not sure what happened here but promise that if we made an error we will learn from it.

Regards
Paul Fish
President
Mountain Gear, Inc
800-829-2009 ext 200

W0W! that's what i'm talkin about! right on MG - you got my respect. oh by the way - are you publicly traded? what's you ticker symbol?

thanks again

geotracker

Jun 7, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #21 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, first off. I'm going to aplogize for flying off the handle. I admit I was a bit harsh in the post.

Secondly, thanks Paul for responding so fast. I see from this reply that MGear really stands behind their customers. Thanks again. :D

everythingelse

Jun 7, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #22 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i haven't purchased anything from mgear yet, although i do love there selection and have a couple things i'm planning on getting, but both of my browsers that i use (opera and safari) tell me that they are using outdated encryption methods on there website.
also some time ago they had an incorrectly advertised price in there catalog that they wouldn't give me (sad but not really a big deal).
maybe if they fixed there security on there sight i would purchase some of there stuff. i might just have to call them instead.

pwigg

killclimbz

Jun 7, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #23 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Below is the email I just sent to Geotracker, Thanks to those of you who pointed this post out to me. Sure we did not do it "on purpose", but if it actually is a cam subject to the recall we'll take care of it, figure out how it happened and fix it.

Hi Geo,
I think you might be the customer posting on RC.com about a Maxcam #1 that you believe was subject to the recall and was shipped to you. If that is the case please contact me personally (Paul Fish 800-829-2009 ext 200) and we will take care of you. I would love to have the cam back to take a look at and can ship you another one overnight that we have hand inspected so you will be climbing this weekend. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience so we can resolve this to your satisfaction. We want you to be confident in your gear and our company, I am not sure what happened here but promise that if we made an error we will learn from it.

Regards
Paul Fish
President
Mountain Gear, Inc
800-829-2009 ext 200

Now that is the type of response I would expect from a company. Kudos to Mgear for handling this in a professional way. A few of the other companies he have posted on this ***cough CCH! cough*** site could learn from Paul and Mgear. Mountain Gear's stock just went way up in my book.

mowz

Jun 7, 2006, 6:38 PM
Post #24 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Wow. I've always had good experiences with mgear, but the letter that Paul posted goes beyond what I expect from any retailer.

No way bro! That is basic customer service 101 right there.

We all get used to Walmart and then act durprised when we come across a retailer who doesn't offload customer service onto the customer and we act surprised!

Good job mgear.

DMT

I was surprised! I'm always pleasantly surprised whenever I have a "problem" with mom and pops like mgear, gearexpress, patagonia, backcountry and they bend over a bit backwards to deal with me. I admit I'm a tough customer, but they always go beyond what I expect.

Now, if only Burger King can go beyond that 2 Whoppers for $3 deal and give me x-tra onions and tomatoes when I ask for it. I mean, really, is an extra ring considered x-tra onions? Hook it up BK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m.a.h
Deleted

Jun 8, 2006, 1:09 AM
Post #25 of 31 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul's quick reply is why I spend my money with Mountain Gear - they resolve problems they don't make excuses!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook