Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

renohandjams

Jun 9, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #1 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Climber keychain?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When I first started trad climbing about a year and a half ago I had a small biner "not for climbing" and a couple of keys. Some of my climbing partners started using full size biners on their key chains and I picked up the habit. I think I'm addicted because I can play with my helium biner all day long, it clips onto my pant pocket, and I even added one of the camp hex key chains to it too. I feel like I'm the only one with such a big key chain. I also added the smallest zero cam, but that was too much so I took it off.

Kind of a weird topic, but I was just wondering what other people do to their key chains to remind them of climbing.

rhythm164

Jun 9, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #2 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climber keychain? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a troll on mine.

Kidding kidding kidding, just couldn't resist. I have a little Black Diamond keyabiner that I got as a freebie @ work.

anykineclimb

Jun 9, 2006, 4:08 AM
Post #3 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn Rhythm, I wish I could vote today!

I us a omega mini biner. been doing that for like, 10 years now. used to have one of little smiley's nuts but binned it.

Don't understand using a fullsize bine. their BIG!
but to each their own

secretninja

Jun 9, 2006, 4:42 AM
Post #4 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have actually taken to putting my keys on my rocklock screwgate in order to look hardcore. However, since i am short i biners have have been forced to belay off carabiners stolen off the top of trek brand beverages. Im pretty sure this is safe as there is a picture of a climber on the bottle. Comments?

Partner angry

Jun 9, 2006, 4:49 AM
Post #5 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have actually taken to putting my keys on my rocklock screwgate in order to look hardcore. However, since i am short i biners have have been forced to belay off carabiners stolen off the top of trek brand beverages. Im pretty sure this is safe as there is a picture of a climber on the bottle. Comments?

Should be fine. Trek energy drink is tasty, I'd assume they are as concerned about the strength of their biners.

I have a nuetrino, sometimes, other times I take it off and climb on it. Depends when I'm needy for biners. I also have a cam lobe from a yellow alien.

thetroutscout

Jun 9, 2006, 5:24 AM
Post #6 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a Camp Nano because it looks like it should be a key chain biner.

^^ike

bodyboarder

Jun 9, 2006, 7:54 AM
Post #7 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I use a Camp Nano because it looks like it should be a key chain biner.

^^ike

TAKE THAT NANO WIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

climbsomething

Jun 9, 2006, 8:30 AM
Post #8 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Mickey Mouse keychain because I am so hardcore I must be ironic and witty about it. My smartass Hot Topic-esque T-shirts just aren't enough...

phang_nga

Jun 9, 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #9 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a Mickey Mouse keychain because I am so hardcore I must be ironic and witty about it. My smartass Hot Topic-esque T-shirts just aren't enough...

Dude, that's so CORE! 8^)

reg

Jun 9, 2006, 1:00 PM
Post #10 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have some toy biners and 3mm cord at work so i can practice knots, z pullies, anchors, etc. i used to have a couple toy biners on MY RACK! - i carried my gloves on one, first aid kit on another, nut tool, then my mentor suggested i replace them with the real thing cause i may need them one day - plus it looks well....... :lol: - so i did.

reg

Jun 9, 2006, 1:02 PM
Post #11 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:roll:

shiggetyshiva

Jun 9, 2006, 1:04 PM
Post #12 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my miniature sock monkey keychain kicks ass! monkeys are badass climbers! :lol:

kubi

Jun 9, 2006, 1:27 PM
Post #13 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have two Petzl Williams Ball-locks on my keychain, so I can clip my keys to my belt-loop (opposite and opposed, mang) and know that I'll never lose them.

edit: I'd like to make it clear that I was kidding in the above post....since rc.com users are notorious for taking everything too seriously. The only climbing related bit of paraphernalia I've ever had on my keychain was one of those mini keychain tricams. I took it off, though. The nylon doesn't ride quite right on the metal ring and makes moving keys around difficult. Now, the only extraneous bits I've got are a Subaru medallion I got when I bought my car and one of those quick-release toggles connecting the keys for my car and the keys for my apartment/office/bike/etc.

Partner cliffhanger9

Jun 9, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #14 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have two Petzl Williams Ball-locks on my keychain, so I can clip my keys to my belt-loop (opposite and opposed, mang) and know that I'll never lose them.

Well...you ve certianly increased your chances that the biners wont open up. Carrying such big biners on your belt loops surely ensures that they will pop though.. :wink:

personally - i cant stand big keychains. its like a "pet peeve" or something. i m not the type of person that like everyone in the world to hear my keys jangling around when clipped to my belt loop - and the pockets are never anywhere near the belt loops to tuck them into so I end up tossing them in my pocket in which case i want them to be as low pro as possible

petsfed

Jun 9, 2006, 1:44 PM
Post #15 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a very old Omega-Lite offset d that my truck keys live on. Just clip it to the harness while i climb and I'm never locked out of the truck. Otherwise its a loop of 5mm cord that holds all of my keys, and my bottle opener. Makes less noise than a crab, just as clippable.

ao

Jun 9, 2006, 1:46 PM
Post #16 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got one of those "Go Climb A Rock" keychains from Yosemite. I used to rotate keychains, but since I got this one...no new ones in the rotation...

markc

Jun 9, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #17 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never understood why someone would want a bunch of superfluous junk hanging off their keys. I don't need five linked keychains to show off my individuality and create a major bulge in my pocket. I certainly don't need an expensive piece of protection and a full-strength biner dangling off my hip all day. That's what, about $60?

I have two sets of keys, one with all my personal keys, and another for work. The personal keys are on a stopper keychain, and the work keys are on a Husky tools fob. Both were free, are easily identifiable, and ride well in my pocket.

Regarding the jive biners while climbing, a lot of folks here have freaked out about them in prior threads. I just don't see it as a major issue. I use them on my radios, to clip shoes to the outside of my pack, etc. A partner uses one to secure her chalkbag. They're small, cheap, and functional, and the sort I have aren't going to be confused with the real deal. If I think I'll need spare biners, I'll carry them. You can carry the "you might need them" argument to the Nth degree. What's next, replacing shoe strings with tech cord?

anykineclimb

Jun 9, 2006, 2:15 PM
Post #18 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you know, I think the best reason for having a (SMALL!) biner for keys is it keeps them "hanging" in the pocket instead of lumped at the bottom. now THAT is annoying. I hate lloking like a janitor when I take out my keys and try to carry as few as possible

zeke_sf

Jun 9, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #19 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't need five linked keychains to show off my individuality and create a major bulge in my pocket.

OKOK, we get it Markc. You don't need any "bulge," as you put it, because you're already packing. No need to brag. Gawd! Some of us need compensatory equipment, allright?

I have one of those fake carabiners for my keychain. I like it because it allows me to easily take keys on and off to suit my various key needs. Maybe I'll switch it out with a real one one of these days.

coolklimber

Jun 9, 2006, 3:29 PM
Post #20 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a fattie blackdiamond that i cary around just to play with.

Partner csgambill

Jun 9, 2006, 3:35 PM
Post #21 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I carry my whole rack on my keychain. Obviously this won't fit in my pocket, so I have to carry my keychain on my shoulder harness. When I walk around people are all like, "What the hell is that?" I'm like, "It's my keychain, so shut the fuck up!" I work in the Sears Tower and security always tries to stop me and say, "You can't bring that in here." I say, "It's my keychain and I can bring it wherever the hell I damn well please, so suck my nuts!" I'm so cool with my 45 lb keychain. Hell yeah. Climbing? What the hell is that? This keychain is just so I can look core.

climbiniowa

Jun 9, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #22 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a couple of BD keybiners that my mom thought were cute, and bought me for christmas...one's on my keychain, the other is on my nalgene bottle belt.

reg

Jun 9, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #23 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can carry the "you might need them" argument to the Nth degree. What's next, replacing shoe strings with tech cord?

:lol: - if i could put 7mill through my eyelets - i probably would! - it's the MacGuyver in me

devils_advocate

Jun 9, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #24 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can I please request that excessively inane topics with high levels of susceptibility (i.e. how easy it is to point out the stupidity) are posted in the mid-morning, preferably in the 8-9am PST time. By the time I get into work and find the target dummies, its already beaten to death and I miss my shot. ...and that's just disappointing.

This isn't so much of a problem on the more mediocre posts, where it might take some thought to come up with something good. But if you're going to walk into the middle of the room butt naked and fat with a small penis and holding a "I love Milli Vanilli" sign... well, it doesn't take long for the peanut gallery to pick up on it. I'm just saying, I want to be a part of that peanut gallery.

Thanks for your future consideration.

markc

Jun 9, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #25 of 30 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You can carry the "you might need them" argument to the Nth degree. What's next, replacing shoe strings with tech cord?

:lol: - if i could put 7mill through my eyelets - i probably would! - it's the MacGuyver in me

You might be able to squeeze in some 5 mm tech cord?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook