Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 87 Next page Last page  View All

microbarn

Jun 1, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #651 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Re: Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

don't know who stole them, but I have been wondering how much it would have been to replace them myself. It has been a pretty big pain to me as well.

How do you donate to the SWPA bolt fund??? I hadn't even heard of this before, or am I missing the joke?

tanderson

Jun 1, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #652 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah that was a joke...

I tried to put together a SWPA bolt over the years. hasn't go so well. Only one person in 14 years has ever offered to help cover any cost of bolts, hangers, equipment, etc that I've used in the development I've done. Then to see it stolen..... What a bummer. I hope the theives crater trying to clip one of the stolen hangers.

For those that don't know... its expensive to put up routes. A bolt and hanger are at LEAST $4 each. The average local route has 5 plus shuts We'll say $30.00 a route (average). The lost crag has 70+ routes... thats a cost of about $2100.00 in development hardware costs. Now factor in a $600.00 drill plus all the bits and every thing else... Thats just the cost at one crag. Yeah it burns me up to see my routes raped of bolts, etc...

The route development I've done around here is my investment towards good local climbing for us and future climbers. I hate to see it ruined.

Now that I'm done ranting...

WHO WANTS TO GO CLIMBING!!!

microbarn

Jun 1, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #653 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had said previously about how I haven't helped to place any bolts or support their purchase. I will help. My difficulty is that I just gave more generously to the NRG bolt fund then I should have. I will have to get a couple more pay checks to pay that off.

microbarn

Jun 1, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #654 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ps

we appreciate your conservation and clean up work as much or more then your bolts

thanks

kubi

Jun 1, 2006, 8:42 PM
Post #655 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim,

I'd love to make a donation to the SWPACC. My prefered method of donating would be buying the hardware and a case of beer and helping you put up routes all day long.

send me a PM if there's any way I can help.

Jim

tanderson

Jun 2, 2006, 6:32 AM
Post #656 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great... Glad to see some excitment. Let's get some serious efforts together if people are interested. Myself and several other local climbers plan to start development in the very near future of a -NEW- undisclosed area in Connellsville that will keep us busy for quite a while. Limestone crag with beautiful views. First ascents for all...

I've got the drill and several hundred bolts and hangers. All those serious about pitching in please PM me.

Let me know where we can go with this...

victor999

Jun 3, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #657 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd like to offer some assistance.... use my car for carpooling, buy some beer, help pay for a route, etc..... every little bit helps, i suppose.

can't help but appreciate the work someone did everytime i clip a bolt... breakneck is a nice little crag.... that sucks about the anchors. jerks.

victor

climbinvixen

Jun 3, 2006, 4:19 AM
Post #658 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi boys,

It's been a while.

I'm glad this forum has become so useful.

Where are my sisters, though?

I'd like to get out some time, so please think of me kindly.

If I meet a bolt bandit, I'll skin him slowly.

Anyway, toodle-oo, and be careful with anchors and rappels. The death count is rising.

The Vixen

victor999

Jun 3, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #659 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, claire and i are a little spooked reading about the table rock fatality... although we didn't know the woman, our hearts go out to her husband and the families.

this (plus my friend's recent injury) has made us re-evaluate how we rappel, clean routes, etc. we're going to re-learn the auto-bloc to provide redundancy on rappels.... i mean, why not? it only takes an x-tra minute to do... we're open to other ideas to provide x-tra measures of security.

victor

microbarn

Jun 3, 2006, 9:55 PM
Post #660 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey vixen,

you keep threatening to get out climbing, but all I hear is threats. :)

If you are looking for females, I can only name Lam (my fiance) and Claire (victor's wife). They are the only ones I know getting out on a regular basis.

victor999

Jun 4, 2006, 1:08 PM
Post #661 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

claire would love to climb with another female. girl power! :lol:

pm me for claire's info.

victor

microbarn

Jun 4, 2006, 1:38 PM
Post #662 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lam would also love to climb with another female. We should make it a point to climb together sometime.

PS ...seems we are planning on going to the new next weekend. Maybe others would be interested in going down again?

victor999

Jun 4, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #663 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we just sat down with our schedules for june... we're thinking about NRG, Meadows, and/or Summersville this weekend, friday - sunday. we might have the kids with us. we'll know more later in the week. but i'm itching to try some of the 5.5 - 5.6 trad routes at the Meadows.

i'll be out of town the next weekend on business.

for the 23rd - 26th we're seriously considering a 4-day trip to red river gorge. we'll definitely be w/o kids and could take 2 additional people with us in our 4runner.

we'll be at the Wall tues and thurs nights this week, 7'ish - 9'ish.

victor

slowhand

Jun 5, 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #664 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are there any climbers here from around the Johnstown area. My partner recently moved away ( right when we were starting to get out alot ). I'm somewhat new to it, but looking forward to doing some trad as soon as I can find someone to teach me..

ericbeyeler

Jun 7, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #665 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be out near Cranberry next weekend (16th and 17th). Probably going to McConnel's Mill. Been there once but didn't climb that time. Anyone interested in joining up?

Eric

victor999

Jun 7, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #666 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone know if they fixed the gas leak at the climbing wall?

sucks driving out there and the place is closed.

:evil:

microbarn

Jun 7, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #667 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello eric,
I am sorry, but I probably won't be getting out this weekend. I hope you find someone to meet up with.

I never heard about the leak at the wall. When did it start? Usually they fix gas leaks very quickly. Otherwise, there could be some major problems.

victor999

Jun 7, 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #668 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i emailed TCW and they're open again (after the gas leak forced an evacution) ... but of course i can't go tonight.... sigh

tanderson

Jun 12, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #669 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YOUGH GORGE work day:

ATTENTION SWPA Climbers:
All those who are interested in volunteering time, efforts, money, whatever towards the development of the fresh new YOUGH GORGE crag. We are planning a work day:

Those wishing to help clear trails, clear brush, develop new routes, etc... We are meeting this Saturday JUNE 17th at the Valley Dairy Parking lot in Connellsville. Anyone interested in breakfast be there at 9:00 a.m. We plan on pulling out of the parking lot at 10:15 am. From there we will drive to the crag to start work. The road to the crag is a very rocky dirt/ gravel road that is NOT suited for the average passenger car. An all wheel drive Subaru, etc. should do fine. Please don't plan on taking your honda accord... If you need to ride with someone please let me know ahead of time so we can make arrangments to have vehicles for all to ride in. ALSO if you have an SUV, pickup, AWD car with extra room for a passenger or two please let me know to help in making arrangments for others.

A little about this crag. It's located high up on the Youghiogheny River gorge outside of Dunbar. It's a Limestone outcrop that is mostly cool and shaded this time of year. At certain points you get nice views of the river gorge below. It ranges from about 30' to 60' tall and follows the gorge at least 1/2 mile probablly more.

I went there today (Monday) and started to do some basic work. Clearing some basic trails to make access easier for the group on Saturday. The rock needs some cleaning, but the potential looks good. Numerous nice cracks are waiting to be climbed as well as steep faces and quite a bit of friction climbing. I worked on trails along the first several hundred yards of rock band. Some loose rock, but it mostly seems solid.

Useful items to bring and needed items:
Gloves
Wire brushes (several)
blow tubes for clearing after brushing. (aquarium tubing or a ball point pen tube usually works for me
Anything for clearing high weeds
Shovels
Hoes (NO...your significant other doesn't count)
webbing to leave behind as rap stations
rap rings
anything else you think would be useful....

If you have any questions please PM me on here or email me at climbpa@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Tim

chronicle

Jun 14, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #670 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a wedding to go to Saturday. :cry:

Tim, you say there is 1/2 mile of rock there eh? Sounds like a lot of potential. Is it mostly sport, or does it look like there are enough features for some decent trad climbing?

tanderson

Jun 14, 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #671 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At least a 1/2 mile of rock band. Went up yesterday and cleared more trails and built a set of stone stairs up a 15' steep hillside to make access to the cliffband easier as well as cut down on erosion. We cleaned and climbed 2 lines that were very nice. One was much harder than I expected. The other was actually a rap line that I setup on a tree in the one section of cliff. Turned out to be a nice moderate climb. I'll have to relocate the rap station to another less desirable line. I quickly found out how much different the limestone is compared to our normal "Gritstone" Not nearly as grippy.

There are definately trad lines all over the place. I just question how well cams would hold in the limestone cracks... They seem rather polished and able to slip out. I'm just thinking of instances that I've heard about over the years at bellfonte quarry. I havn't taken my trad rack to the new crag yet. Soon enough... The climbs are also longer than I initially thought. At least as tall as Breakneck most are actually taller. So there's definately something for everyone.

Cheers,
Tim

mountainman

Jun 18, 2006, 2:44 PM
Post #672 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trip report:

There was a nice turnout for Yough Gorge Saturday. Dan, Lam, Steve and Mark came down, and an extraordinary amount of trails were built. The engineering talents of CMU were certainly put to good use with the copious number of steps up and down the steep hillsides.

There was more climbing done than I thought there was energy for. Five climbs were set up and the quality is very high. The climbs are 65 to 70 feet high. Everyone climbed very well, although not up to the standards of resident hardmen Carl Samples and Tim Anderson.

By five everyone was exhausted, but all agreed it was an exceptional day. Another day or two like that and the trails will be largely done! Hopefully we can get a big turnout next weekend.

Come contribute to the development of what will soon be a world class destination!

microbarn

Jun 19, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #673 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was an excellent weekend. I had a blast. I really look forward to returning this coming weekend.

tanderson

Jun 22, 2006, 3:32 AM
Post #674 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We're having another climbing/work day at the Yough Gorge crag. Same time and place as last Saturday. Anyone else interested in joining in. Contact me.

Tim

victor999

Jun 22, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #675 of 2156 (51364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Claire and I are heading down to the NRG this weekend and staying at Chestnut Creek campground. Bringing the mountain bikes in case the weather turns bad.

First page Previous page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 87 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook