Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Sep 23, 2001, 1:10 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Cause for concern on the forums.
Report this Post
Can't Post

There have been some recent issues with people attacking each other on the forums lately.

Personally, I don't like it, but I respect your right to say what you want, I also respect your right to defend yourself.

If you think someone is doing something bad (ie. doctoring photo rankings) then bring it up politely and with some sort of proof to support your argument. If you just plain don't like someone, take it up in private. If you don't like the forum then please don't come here anymore.

I would ask that people not create alternate user names in order to trash the forum or other people. I can think of two examples in the last couple of days (mememe and alfred) where this has happened. If this is done then I will simply let everyone know who the alter egos are.
If you don't wish to state your opinion under your main username then just forget it.

We have become a community. Many climbers have met and found new friends here. We come here to discuss the sport we love, to ask questions, to make friends, and to vent our frustrations. Communities have their problems. People have bad days. These are acceptable excuses for some of the behaviour that will go on here.
But if you just had a bad day then why not apologize?

It's hard to make friends in this world. People in general are getting crueler and more close-minded. This should be a place to get away from all of that. We should make others welcome. We are not all going to get along but we can at least try.

I don't want the forum to get heavily moderated, I don't want to have to start banning users. I like this community and respect all of the members in it.

Please help it stay friendly, helpful and welcoming.

-Mark Feenstra
administration

blackaven

Sep 23, 2001, 1:30 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Cause for concern on the forums. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I, personally, praise this site's forums to anyone that I talk to about the site because of the wide variety of people that gather here to discuss things. In the "Terrorist Attacks" forum we have posts from civillians, firefighters, millitary, and others with a unique viewpoint, I'd hate to see people be harrassed off this site.

metoliusmunchkin

Sep 23, 2001, 2:28 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of banning people from the site jtlclimber, I have been hearing of people who have been banned from the site, and who's emails have been disrupted so that it can no longer be used to contact certain people of the administrative staff. These people do not know why they have been banned from the site, and would really like to know why. Some of them suspect that it was an act of sexism, because it seemed that only the girls were being attacked verbally on the site, and had there email disrupted. I would like to kindly ask for you, the staff to contact these people some how, and explain to them why they have been taken off the site, and explain how there actions have been unsuitable (if that is the case ofcourse). Thank you for you time.

kriso9tails

Sep 23, 2001, 4:39 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, that is (to the best of my knowledge) not accurate. I can only think of one person off of the top of my head who has been completely banned, and he was well informed. Some accounts were deleted a while back because the users hadn't used the site since they joined (quite a while ago), or perhaps there is just a glitch and they can't log in. If you think someone specific has been done wrong by then you can appeal directly to an admin and hear their side of the story.

metoliusmunchkin

Sep 23, 2001, 4:48 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K, thanks man

kagunkie

Sep 23, 2001, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We should show some integrity and stand by what we say. If you dont want people to know that its you then you probably shouldnt write it.
Show a little guts and stand by your opinions, if your wrong youll always be able to change. People respect that alot more than someone who tries to slime their way out of looking bad by trickery or trying to focus attention on someone els.

[ This Message was edited by: kagunkie on 2001-09-23 11:03 ]

jds100

Sep 25, 2001, 5:32 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Souldriver: the content of the postings that are at issue are only part of the matter. Even here, Mememe writes under this pseudonym that is different from the one under which people can find his true profile (name, etc.). So, one aspect of this is the issue of being courageous enough to be accountable for ones opinions and, in his case, personal attacks on another person at the website. Instead of taking up his personal concerns privately with the other person, he attacks anonymously and publicly. Sound familiar?

I admire the restraint shown by the administrators. Banning someone is rare and a difficult decision, but when it happens, it seems the person has worked hard to deserve it.

aulwes

Sep 25, 2001, 5:48 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No more politics!!! please,

talons05

Sep 25, 2001, 5:53 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I think the time has come to end the proliferation of so many non-climbing topics on this site. Let's get back to what we all love and try to leave some of the extranneous postings out. I also have to agree that if you have an opinion, have the guts to say it without hiding in anonymity. I also feel that attacks on a person or institution, rather than on the issue itself, is a display of inability to adress said issue.

AW

andy_lemon

Sep 25, 2001, 6:24 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:To the rockclimbing.com Taliban,

Hah hah hah! You are all such hypocrites! Let's bomb the hell out of Afghanistan. Let's send teenagers to fight for some politician's pride and die on foreign soil. You all wave American flags even though nationalism leads to the same hate as racism.

You willingly support those who ARE GOING TO KILL PEOPLE in the name of national unity, nato unity, or free world unity. But heaven forbid if someone should disagree with the ruling Taliban at rockclimbing.com who don't want to hear any dissent or unkind words or allow freedom of speech!

hypocrites...

signed,
afghani freedom fighter

P.S. I apologize.

Speaking of kicking people out of here. As long as I've been listening to Mr. mememe talk, he hasn't contributed a Damn thing to rockclimbing.com. No personal info, nothing related to rock climbing, etc. He is here to badger people and get on their nerves. I would have to say DELETE HIS BUTT!

From Brogan the Taliban sniper,
What comes around goes around.
Or
It all evens out in the wash.

[ This Message was edited by: broganadams on 2001-09-25 11:41 ]

spider_woman

Sep 25, 2001, 6:29 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock on lemon!!!

spider_woman

Sep 25, 2001, 7:43 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On a serious note, the aggression between user postings is totally uncalled for. This is just my opinion, but I think the forums were created in the hope that issues like this wouldn't arise. For instance, I will agree that a lot of people post things that are distantly related (if at all) to climbing. Forums "Community" & "General" were made for just that. There are also aggressive postings that pop at random in the middle of a topic. If a person does not agree with, or remotely like a topic, there is no reason for them to go in and start s***. Simply e-mail the administrator, that is why they are there. Climbers are lucky to have this site. The creators of this site and people who keep it up were open minded enough to give people options as to what forum to go to. Things like masqerading as a different user to cause disention is unbelievably immature, but then maybe that is to be expected from the age group that certain postings come from. Bottom line: This site was created for climbers, postings like the "rock climbing taliban", are crude and disrespectful. For those who would post that and any thing remotely similar...find another outlet for your stupidity,and get the hell out.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 27, 2001, 12:09 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, how prophetic...

copied from the 9-25-01 resonse to this topic:
"From Brogan the Taliban sniper,
What comes around goes around.
Or