RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

b_rock

Jul 10, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

red rocks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering this, I am going to Las Vegs (july 13-17) for a wedding no one else that is going climbs and I was thinking of heading to red rocks for a day. Do people generally mind taking on a stragler or am I being intrusive. I am coming from Ontario so I am not sure when I will be there again

jt512

Jul 10, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Re: red rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just wondering this, I am going to Las Vegs (july 13-17) for a wedding no one else that is going climbs and I was thinking of heading to red rocks for a day. Do people generally mind taking on a stragler or am I being intrusive. I am coming from Ontario so I am not sure when I will be there again

People generally mind climbing in 120-degree heat.

Jay

mink

Jul 10, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We climbed there in early June and ran into very few other climbers. Saw only 1-2 small groups each day, a small group being 2-3 people. It was almost unbearably hot, in the upper 90s, so I imagine its much hotter now. We climbed on the weekdays, Monday-Friday, so perhaps the lack of other climbers may have been due to people working during the week.

My recommendation would be to hit a local rock gym in Vegas and meet up with folks or use an alternate method to find a climbing partner.

The hiking is pretty awesome out there, so if you do want to chance it by wandering out there without a partner lined up, worst case scenario you go for a really nice, warm hike. :D

danutter

Jul 10, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Considering that when I was at the Gallery last October ona weekday, and there were exactly two other groups (of two) there, I'd bet it's the weekday effect as much as the heat effect.

Are the Wake-Up Wall and Black Corridor reasonable early in the day during the summer or no?

ikefromla

Jul 10, 2006, 7:03 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sure, people do dawn patrol at the Corridor... but that doesn't make it bearable. the high today is 106, the low was 82 and that was probably at around 4 am.

mink

Jul 10, 2006, 7:05 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We climbed in Black Corridor and the Hunter Thompson Dome. Black Corrider is pretty much in the shade all day - the top part is in the sun late morning. It was actually really nice climbing b/c there is a cross breeze that runs through the corridor - I would think by now that breeze would be a lot hotter. The approach to the Black Corridor is around 30 minutes, if you don't get lost, so with gear, it was really hot.

I'm not familiar with the other crag. Solly.

danutter

Jul 10, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sure, people do dawn patrol at the Corridor... but that doesn't make it bearable. the high today is 106, the low was 82 and that was probably at around 4 am.

Yeah, but it's a DRY heat, so that's like a 90 degree day at NRG in July.

Man, y'all are wusses...scared to climb when it's hot.

bsf

Jul 11, 2006, 3:14 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey b_rock:

While July is not ideal for Red Rocks there is still plenty to be done. I was able to climb a six pitch route today in fact, completely in the shade. The key is to know where to go.

I think the high today was 106, but that's for Las Vegas valley--Red Rocks is a couple thousand feet higher which knocks off a couple of degrees, add in a breeze and shade it's not bad at all.

All that said, other posters are right, you will not run into a whole slew of climbers or potential partners out at the park. The perception is that it's all too hot...

So if you're set on climbing at Red Rocks your best bet might be to hire a guide for a day. Contact Desert Rock Sports in Vegas.

Hiking is worse than climbing this time of year just because it's impossible to stay in the shade for very long.

Alternatively, you could always head up to Mt. Charleston which has tons of excellent hiking and good sport climbing for 5.12 and up crowd. The altitude keeps it 20-30 degrees cooler than downtown Vegas. If you go to the Hood or Robber's Roost on a weekend you're likely to find someone who'll give you a catch.

Good Luck

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook