RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

whiskeykid

Jul 14, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #1 of 15 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Jasper Guidebook??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What the heck is going on with the new jasper guidebook? I heard it was almost done way back in 2004, and the guidebook info on the rescue dynamics webpage hasn't been updated since sept 2005, where it says "The revised release date is now Spring 2006". Does anyone know anything? I have Dave Robinson's guidebook but it really is horrible, you're almost better off with nothing. Is there something we can do to speed up the process? I have a spare kidney...

macblaze

Jul 16, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #2 of 15 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Re: Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I stopped in a Gravity Gear a few days ago and the guy at the counter said the authors swore it would be out this summer... of course that still leaves a few months...

I remember my mom trying to teach about patience or something... but I can't remember what the point of the lesson was... : )

whiskeykid

Jul 17, 2006, 3:30 AM
Post #3 of 15 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Re: Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I was at GG this weekend and you could tell that they were tired of answering the same question over and over. I understand (and on occasion can even exhibit) patience. However, when the author keeps posting release dates, and they come and go with no book, it starts to get frustrating.

macblaze

May 2, 2007, 1:46 AM
Post #4 of 15 (5645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whiskeykid] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cyril has a tantalizing note on his website:
http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/...er.rocks/general.htm

Hopefully this means good news...

B

scrambled_legs

Jun 4, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #5 of 15 (5350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macblaze] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I guess my question has been asked for the last 4 years, is this the year then? Crazy

the_climber

Jun 4, 2008, 9:18 PM
Post #6 of 15 (5338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrambled_legs] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrambled_legs wrote:
So I guess my question has been asked for the last 4 years, is this the year then? Crazy

I've been waiting almost.... or is it waiting for over... hmmm.... lets just say I've been waiting a good 5 or 6 years for the new edition of Banff Rock.

I do fear Jasper's rock book is in the same boat.
Jasper is pretty active on a new routing standpoint, wich can put a guidebook author under pressure of both the volume of route information coming in and presure to have a comprehensive guide to the area. Add to that the difficulty of gathering old information.... you know the "I think so and so climbed that back in 1972 with some guy, you should track him down..." type of info.

scrambled_legs

Jun 5, 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #7 of 15 (5330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't get why they don't just release it with the info they have now and then do revisions. sport climbs in the rockies is on its 6 revision? It helps the author make more money and get the corrections and additions done as time goes on without people constantly pestering for the guide. I think this one was thought to be ready to go in 2004, 4 years is a pretty long time and someone else may just do a guide in the meantime. I know Kevin McLane is going to do a limited guide of the best of in the area and I may not buy the jasper one if its released after his. Just some food for thought.

the_climber

Jun 5, 2008, 3:08 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep in mind that writing a guide book for these guys is a pet project and not their Job. They really don't make much on guidebooks around here either, they do it more as a service to the community.

Regarding Sport Climbs in the Canadian Rockies, yes it's on the 6th Edition...
mind you the 2nd Edition (which I have and bought right when it came out) was released in 1998. Up dating an existing guide book in a well developed area every 2 to 3 years is a far cry from making the thing from scratch, that is a lot more work.... especially when you start going around to try and verify the routes/grades in an attempt to wite an acurate guidebook.

macblaze

Jun 5, 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The other thing to keep in mind is the Rocky Mountain Books (a great Alberta Publisher) has funded the production most of Alberta's guide books. There is no such deal for the Jasper book so not only is all the cost of research and writing born by the authors but production and distribution as well...

That said I did write Cyril 2006 and offer to help out but got no response. I'm in the book business --albeit gardening books-- but I'd help out for free... Maybe I'll try again

climb_eng

Jun 6, 2008, 6:26 AM
Post #10 of 15 (5281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macblaze] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For what it's worth, some Jasper locals are quite happy theres no guide book as it keeps the crowds away :D. Just sayin'

the_climber

Jun 6, 2008, 4:08 PM
Post #11 of 15 (5273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
For what it's worth, some Jasper locals are quite happy theres no guide book as it keeps the crowds away :D. Just sayin'

Even the locals there are starting to get impatient for the guidebook... TONES of new routing going on up there... the days of knowing all the areas and climbs is gone in Jasper... now if they'd just get away from short sportclimbs in the development.... WIDE OPEN for multipitch trad up there!

lhwang

Jun 6, 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #12 of 15 (5263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of the Jasper locals who've been doing lots of new routing deserve to have some of their hard work recognized and made available to the public.

For what it's worth, there's good beta on summitpost. One of the locals has put a lot of time into updating the topos and route information on that site.

the_climber

Jun 6, 2008, 7:35 PM
Post #13 of 15 (5257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
Some of the Jasper locals who've been doing lots of new routing deserve to have some of their hard work recognized and made available to the public.

For what it's worth, there's good beta on summitpost. One of the locals has put a lot of time into updating the topos and route information on that site.

Very much in agreement with you on that one. The effort that has been put into development in the past 3 years up there is outstanding!

erick

Jun 7, 2008, 5:37 AM
Post #14 of 15 (5214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ya the best info you can find on jasper rock climbs right now is on summitpost.org. thanks to aaron jones for putting that all together... it's great stuff.

i think now that the topos are hitting summitpost, the likelihood of the new guidebook coming out is slim. much easier to just post stuff online than to fight with getting something published, i would think. substantially less red tape.

scrambled_legs

Jun 8, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #15 of 15 (5156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erick] Jasper Guidebook?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Erick, and thanks Aaron for putting it together. I know Cyril's a very busy man but last time I talked to him, it sounded like whenever he was ready to send it to the printers, he'd find out about a new area that just went up, so he'd put it off. I just think it'd be to his and our advantage if the guide was released with the completed info to date and then as time goes on he can do revisions, making more money on his hard work and giving us something else to look forward to.

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook