RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

ucrclimber

Aug 2, 2006, 7:38 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Outdoor Wall Critique!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i know, another woodie question. sorry.

so im planning on building a wall at a house im renting out next year, but because its a renter, i gotta keep it free-standing. i was wondering if i could get some advice on what's good, what's not good, or things to make sure i dont forget, etc. here's what i have for my design:

http://members.cox.net/azndrummer/wall.JPG

again, any advice on design, structural physics, practicality, training purposes, etc. would be awesome. thanks in advance. =)

ucrclimber

Aug 2, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Re: Outdoor Wall Critique!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

wonder1978

Aug 3, 2006, 5:01 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi ucrclimber,
I'm building a woodie myself, my thread ain't too far down from yours. I haven't gotten much feedback either. My understanding is that people are more interested in discussing topics about "real rock" rockclimbing. I tend to be like that myself. I don't think I had ever clicked on the Indoor Gyms forum before I started my own homewall project.

Anyway, I can't give you much advice besides what I've read and the hands on experience I'm getting right now. One thing I'd point out: You seem to be going for a varying angle; that is going from 25degree to 35 (or 47?) degree over a 12feet wide section. You're doing this by changing the height of the kicker board. The Randy Leavitt book on homewall building mentions that kind of design but indicates that while interesting, this is by far the most challenging homewall to build, and doesn't really repay the effort in training value. It also mentions that in order to get the plywood to bend like that you would have to soak it in water for some time and screw it on soaked through. The book's example also has this done over a much wider section (16 feet I think it was, for a 10 or 15 degree variation). I expect you would also run into serious geometrical issues when cutting the plywood sheets to the right length. That is the practical building issue that I see.

The other issue has to do with training value. The consensus, in several books, websites, and forums, seems to be that the best training angle is 45 degree (or somewhere between 30 and 50 degrees), which also happens to be the simplest design to build. It also seems that the kicker board's training value is nil past about 12 inches (mine will be 8 inches). So, the homewall that repays the time invested in building it best is the single 45 degree wall with an 8 inch kicker board. If, like me, you want or need to have more than one angle, all the information I've gathered recommends building two separate sections with two different angles. I am building a 45 degree section and another at 20 degree, and uptill now, the design and building has been pretty straightforward. If I were you, especially since the wall has to be freestanding and you may have to bring it down some time later, I would definitely keep the design as simple as possible.

Going for 45 degree, you would simply have to build a cube, or rectangle, let's say 10' by 10' by 12' wide, and run a straight diagonal through. that way, there is virtually no angle to measure, and the wall is a solid as a house!

Also, there are many freestanding designs that I have seen that let them change the angle at will. It's basically the same thing, a big wooden cube or rectangle, but the diagonal can be unhinged and moved around. This is, I am sure, the best of both worlds, as you end up being able to train on anything from 15 degree to 50 degree. Best bang for the buck I'm sure.

Hope this helps,
steve

Partner ctardi

Aug 3, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having a curved surface will make it a PITA to get larger holds on it, or even some smaller ones, depending on the slope.

Partner thespider

Aug 3, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys,

I'm building myself a woodie this winter and I have been working on my design. While I am not a structural engineer, your design looks good. I wondered what size of wood your using for your supports. I might suggest a 4x4 for the bottom support (the two 10'). One website I found useful was http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/...meBoulderingWall.pdf. It is very nice for joining angles together.

good luck with your walls, post some pics when there done!

lowballin

Aug 3, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for some reason i cant send pics to this website but give me you email and i have a great way to build a free standing wall. Ill try to explain it. if you build 2 12foot tall 8 feet wide walls with 2x6s then use advatech instead of plywood it will last forever but it does cost more. set the walls faceing away from each other and set whatever degree you want then brace them off using X braces. so you will go from the top of one wall to the bottom of the other and repeat on the other side this sounds confusing but its not. Ill be glad to send pics of my wall at home if I had your email. Hope this helps

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook