RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

aerili

Aug 3, 2006, 4:58 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Need recommendations on women's approach/hiking shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's time for a new pair of shoes. My most recent pairs were Merrell (Reflex?) hiking shoes and Adidas Pingora outdoor shoes. Both had their pros and cons.

These particular Merrells were a bit too wide. I have a very narrow foot and heel and need recommendations on a shoe that accommodates toward this.

The Merrells had great side-to-side stability but were slip lasted and were just not supportive enough on rugged terrain and/or long approaches/hikes. I have beyond-normal flexibility in my foot in all joints, so it MUST be board lasted!

The Adidas were more supportive than the Merrells but not made to handle quite as rugged terrain. The sole was not as sticky either, although has performed pretty damn well. The laces were tubular-shaped (not flattish) and never stayed tied tightly either. They also frayed at the tie-point.

I would love a sticky, true approach shoe but I don't think there is one out there which can give the support I might need for very long approaches with a heavy pack on at times.

So which women's shoes are board lasted, good traction, and narrow?

Thanks!!

valygrl

Aug 3, 2006, 5:57 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Re: Need recommendations on women's approach/hiking shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Montrail D7.

I have similar issues. I spent a long time searching for the perfect shoe. Narrow feet, bad knees, broken sesamoid, ankles that tend to turn, over-pronate.

Finally found the Montrail, and am quite happy with it. It's pretty inflexible, so it's good for hiking with a big load, has sticky rubber, edges ok. Wore it up El Cap, it was a good wall boot, and did great on the hike down with the pig. Hardly ever turn an ankle in them. The hard sole does make for sore feet, it's not the most fun standing-around shoe and definitely not a running shoe, but I think it's a good trade off for good support walking over pointy rocks. You can 'bridge' your foot across gaps between rocks and the shoe supports you. In terms of approach/scrambling, it's as good as anything else I've used, mainly because it is not too wide, so it doesn't rotate around my foot on sloping foot placements.

Previous shoes were Vasque hikers (don't remember the model) which were ok, Vasque running shoes which sucked, a couple of different pairs of 5.Ten high tops which sucked - way too wide, old skool La Sportiva Boulders, which were great (why did they stop making these?)... I can't wear any of the newer 5.tens, all too wide.

good luck.

lena_chita

Aug 3, 2006, 5:44 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have La Sportiva Rajas that I love.

http://www.mtntools.com/.../LaSportivaRajas.htm

I have narrow feet, too, and they fit great and feel very sticky and stable. I don't have much to compare them too... I got them free, and before I had then, I pretty much hiked in whatever running shoes I had. I'd say that they are definitely better than my merrels-- I like merrels, but not for rugged-terrain hiking with a possibility of ankle-twisting and heavy load.

aerili

Aug 3, 2006, 7:26 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Valygrl,

I have knee issues too (years of ballet dancing) and although my sesamoids were never broken, I suffered from sesamoiditis for several years (that shit is hard to get rid of! Two sports med docs, custom orthotics, PT, and still had problems!!)

You mentioned the D7 won't rotate around foot placements during scrambles. One problem I've had is that my foot tends to slide around inside a shoe on uneven terrain, esp. sloping rock ramps where you're hiking across the slope or down the slope and your intrinsic foot muscles have to work extra hard for stability on the surface AS WELL AS in the stupid width of the shoe. This usually gives me stubborn and limiting foot cramps a few hours to a day later.

People with wide feet are so catered-to!! :?

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook