Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Anyone Shooting Film? specifically the Pentax ME?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

curtis_g

Aug 3, 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Anyone Shooting Film? specifically the Pentax ME?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, are all the good shots posted here from DSLRs?

Is anyone out there shooting high quality film shot?
Please reply here so I can marvel at your pictures.

And is anyone using either the Pentax ME or ME Super?

I have the ME but broke it and no shop around here will repair it for me.
They say that they just don't work on the Pentax ME...they won't even look at it. So I'm going to open it up and try a home repair.

thanks for any replies

peace
Curtis

melekzek

Aug 4, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone Shooting Film? specifically the Pentax ME? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try keh.com

trenchdigger

Aug 4, 2006, 2:30 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, are all the good shots posted here from DSLRs?

Is anyone out there shooting high quality film shot?
Please reply here so I can marvel at your pictures.

And is anyone using either the Pentax ME or ME Super?

I have the ME but broke it and no shop around here will repair it for me.
They say that they just don't work on the Pentax ME...they won't even look at it. So I'm going to open it up and try a home repair.

I still shoot film on occasion. Some transparency, and some B&W when I have access to a lab. All of the B&W shots I've posted are B&W film. A few of the color shots are transparencies.

Some of the top shooters here shoot slide film... I don't recall exactly which ones. I would suspect most shoot Canon/Nikon for quality and selection of lenses. It ain't about the camera, it's about pointing it in the right direction, turning all the knobs and switches to just the right places, and pushing the button at the right moment.

What "broke" on your camera? What are the symptoms? You're probably best off sending it somewhere or getting a new body (Pentax ME bodies will cost less than most repairs).

pico23

Aug 5, 2006, 1:20 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I still shoot a mix of film and digital. almost all my shots on here are transparency. a few are c-41 and i think only 2 are digital. all shot with an assortment of Pentax film cameras.

i like my digital point and shoot but honestly small chip digicams suck. Too much noise and it has nothing to do with MP's. That said, I get a fairly fast 2.8-4.8 lens in the 35-135 range that fits in my pocket. I also can add a wideangle adapter that fits in my other pocket. 20-135 in two pockets.

i'd love to see a APS-C pocket cam though. it would be just about as big as a film P&S but with similar quality.

But for adventure photo where I'm feeling like carrying a real camera I shoot Pentax film. A Program Plus or Ist with a small lens (24 2.8 or 35 2.0) isn't that much bigger then most point and shoot d-cams and it's a lot better quality. And the whole kit can be tossed off a cliff and replaced for about $200.

pico23

Aug 5, 2006, 2:34 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I would suspect most shoot Canon/Nikon for quality and selection of lenses. It ain't about the camera, it's about pointing it in the right direction, turning all the knobs and switches to just the right places, and pushing the button at the right moment.

BTW, any major shop will work on the ME if they still make parts for it. But consider that a minimum repair is around $100 perhaps more. If your camera is in great shape then it might be worth fixing. If it's beat to hell you might find the same model for a better deal.

Also, if you really want lens quality. I mean if that is your priority and all you care about is owning the best lenses. Then Leitz, Zeiss, Schneider, or Rodenstock are your best bets. Just buy a rig that mounts those and you will have your pick of truly the best lenses in the world. Bokeh and sharpness are not touched by many other lens makers except in a few select lenses here and there.

trenchdigger

Aug 5, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I would suspect most shoot Canon/Nikon for quality and selection of lenses. It ain't about the camera, it's about pointing it in the right direction, turning all the knobs and switches to just the right places, and pushing the button at the right moment.

BTW, any major shop will work on the ME if they still make parts for it. But consider that a minimum repair is around $100 perhaps more. If your camera is in great shape then it might be worth fixing. If it's beat to hell you might find the same model for a better deal.

Also, if you really want lens quality. I mean if that is your priority and all you care about is owning the best lenses. Then Leitz, Zeiss, Schneider, or Rodenstock are your best bets. Just buy a rig that mounts those and you will have your pick of truly the best lenses in the world. Bokeh and sharpness are not touched by many other lens makers except in a few select lenses here and there.

All good points... right on the money. For those that don't know, these "highest quality" lenses are truly excellent, but you do generally have to give up some to be able to use them. Many do not autofocus, and some may require manual aperture control.

pico23

Aug 5, 2006, 6:57 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

All good points... right on the money. For those that don't know, these "highest quality" lenses are truly excellent, but you do generally have to give up some to be able to use them. Many do not autofocus, and some may require manual aperture control.

Very very true. Although, I'm not convinced you "need" autofocus for most things. For instance, dedicated climbing shoots are extremely slow and static in nature. Prefocusing is perfectly usable (perhaps better). Also, for landscapes I MF 99% of the time. And with my wide angle primes I usually set f/5.6-11 and hyperfocal so I just bring the camera to eye level and fire away. In saying that I've gradually sold off my manual focus lenses (although I still use my MF primes). But part of why is because I refuse to wear glasses and AF helps keep that the case. I still have several MF lenses though that i use on both AF and MF bodies and they are a joy to use.

Everything is a tradeoff a sorts to get the end results you want. My only point is that don't be fooled into thinking that just because a company has "Pro" support on site at an event that most people, other then the working pro, benefit in any way . It's also foolish to think that the right camera for someone else is the right camera for you.

Look at what you want out of a camera and look at what you realisticly need, and are willing to spend. Also, try to pick up the bodies, weight and ergonomics do matter. Keep this in mind if you are using them for backcountry stuff or travel. Then go from there. Most important thing is to buy a camera that suits your needs. I wouldn't take a view camera on a hike to shoot snapshots of my friends. Nor would i take an F5/D2 on a 3 week backpacking trip.

melekzek

Aug 7, 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Prefocusing is perfectly usable (perhaps better).

I never missed a climbing shot because I was manually focusing, but I lost some to a wrong autofocus.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook