Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

climbsomething

Aug 16, 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #126 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Re: Eight Year Old Conquers World's High Peaks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

No, he wants us to know how cool he is by using the word milquetoast.

Incorrectly, by the way.

He did get the spelling right, though.

climbsomething

Aug 16, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #127 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously, I'm not. I'm interested in telling you you're wrong.

Duh.

I tend not to play games of pseudo-intellectualism.

dtew

Aug 16, 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #128 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No, he wants us to know how cool he is by using the word milquetoast.

Incorrectly, by the way.

He did get the spelling right, though.

I'm sure your obviously vast vocabulary includes the word "pedant." Wiki it if it fails ya.

In reply to:
Seriously, I'm not. I'm interested in telling you you're wrong.

Duh.

I tend not to play games of pseudo-intellectualism.

Read: "Nah nah nah nah you're wrong I'm right but I can't tell anybody why."

climbsomething

Aug 16, 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #129 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know what a pedant is too. (I'm a real smart gurl who went to the colege so nyah nyah nyah.) If that's your response, it sure sounds like "nyah nyah nyah" to me. And a little ironic too.

I think I made it pretty clear why I think you're wrong, but thanks for your help in the matter.

brolloks

Aug 16, 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #130 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will you two get a bed already?! I will refrain from any other comments as I am obviously not close to your level of education and/or knowledge. Big words scare me.
(Sheesh, how simple life is when you're stupid like me.)

Heh heh heh heh heh.

caughtinside

Aug 16, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #131 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about you guys, but this dtew character bears a striking resemblance to the rufus troll!

Although, the approach whereby one attempts to establish intellectual superiority on the intarweb is tired and not terribly compelling. (look at me, I use teh big werds.)

But I do enjoy a good flame! So carry on! hahaha

lewisiarediviva

Aug 16, 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #132 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, believe it or not, I thought the photo (in the context of this "discussion") highlighted a parallel between societies misconception of mentally "different" persons and jreds misconception of parenting.

You can't judge parenting by what it looks like, just like you can't dismiss a child as slow because he thinks differently.

And to use the term retard appropriately, jred's insistence that "Parenting Theory" be discussed with the proper attitude has retarded this discussion to the point that it can not actually be discussed.

My observations (prompted by this discussion) has shown that kids are actually better off then adults up their. Maybe because they have smaller lungs and fewer miles of arteries to pump oxygen through. . . I don't know-but their must be actual ideas and theories out their-

jred asked a scientific question and blocked all responses to his question because he had an ethical answer already.

One thing about parenting is that it gives you the chance to see things beyond the brick wall around preconceived concepts.

dtew

Aug 16, 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #133 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know what a pedant is too. (I'm a real smart gurl who went to the colege so nyah nyah nyah.) If that's your response, it sure sounds like "nyah nyah nyah" to me. And a little ironic too.

Read: "I called the guy a pedant ("obnoxious, affected ass"), outdid his pedantry (pointed-out supposed misuse of "milquetoast"), got the pedant card turned on me, and am right now trying to associate that with some sense of irony."

I mean, do I really have to drop in some "evar", "lolz" and "l33t" in there for you to be comfortable?

In reply to:
I think I made it pretty clear why I think you're wrong, but thanks for your help in the matter.

And that for you, boils down to 1) an objection to my sense of taste in communicating a point (which had nothing to do with the topic on hand, BTW), and 2) an objection to my usage of "milquetoast". Clearly, no better points can be made! :roll: :lol:

climbsomething

Aug 16, 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #134 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://mock-trial.uchicago.edu/...ves/ellis/shovel.jpg

You'll be needing this.

jred

Aug 16, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #135 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, believe it or not, I thought the photo (in the context of this "discussion") highlighted a parallel between societies misconception of mentally "different" persons and jreds misconception of parenting.

You can't judge parenting by what it looks like, just like you can't dismiss a child as slow because he thinks differently.

And to use the term retard appropriately, jred's insistence that "Parenting Theory" be discussed with the proper attitude has retarded this discussion to the point that it can not actually be discussed.

My observations (prompted by this discussion) has shown that kids are actually better off then adults up their. Maybe because they have smaller lungs and fewer miles of arteries to pump oxygen through. . . I don't know-but their must be actual ideas and theories out their-

jred asked a scientific question and blocked all responses to his question because he had an ethical answer already.

One thing about parenting is that it gives you the chance to see things beyond the brick wall around preconceived concepts.
You have admitted in the past to having no knowledge whatsoever about high altitude mountaineering, what makes you qualified to discuss such a matter? I work with children daily but wouldn't know anything about kids not being a parent, is that what you are implying?
My concerns about children mountaineering are based on.....? Please tell me because I am dying to know.

dtew, I think your point was missed due to your ill placed joke, it was appreciated by me at least (your point that is).

jred

Aug 16, 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #136 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JRed: Fuck these guys. If your question was about anyone else on any other topic that would be one thing, but if the news story involve parents, suddenly these ass-hats feel personally insulted by you. Suddenly you're the holy inquisition, breathing down their neck and telling them what they can and cannot do with their own children. I've seen it plenty of times before, and it's sick. Makes me wonder if some of these folks would rather not examine too closely what they're doing with their own kids. Don't know, but it just makes me wonder.

Y'all can call me any name in the book, go right ahead. I think you've got blinders on, and you see red any time anyone questions anything any parent does. How about this: how about if you calm the fuck down and behave like the adults you claim to be.

People fuck up their kids all the time, despite thinking what they're doing is right. Not saying I could do any better, but why is it so taboo to just ask the goddamn question? Seems to me that parents that fly off the handle at a question like JRed's have issues that aren't going to get resolved by putting a beat-down on an anonymous internet poster.

Oh, and I did plenty of stuff when I was a kid. Doesn't mean I have any problem with someone questioning where to draw the line.

GO

Cracklover nailed it a few months back. Why the outrage at simply questioning one activities appropriateness for young children?

Are the parents who agree with me not as good of parents as you are? How dare they hold their children back?

dtew

Aug 16, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #137 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
dtew, I think your point was missed due to your ill placed joke, it was appreciated by me at least (your point that is).

The post was obviously sarcastic, but the funny thing was that the pic really wasn't intended as a joke or commentary that had anything to do with the original topic. It's just a standrd thing people throw out into flamefests as a kind of a neutral damper, something to tell everyone that incessant arguing on a forum is a timewaster. I guess depending on who your audience is, people can either be precise, or they can choose to interpret things broad enough so that it becomes a slur.

I mean, based on your initial response you probably didn't read it as a slur either until climbsomething interpreted it as such, right?

That said, it's infinitely livelier now, with my very own turd-flinging nemesis. :wink: :D

caughtinside

Aug 16, 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #138 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but the funny thing was that the pic really wasn't intended as a joke or commentary that had anything to do with the original topic. It's just a standrd thing people throw out into flamefests as a kind of a neutral damper, something to tell everyone that incessant arguing on a forum is a timewaster.

and yet, your incessant arguing continues...

Let's see if you can guess what I mean by this: :boring:

climbsomething

Aug 17, 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #139 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No turds from me.

dtew

Aug 17, 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #140 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and yet, your incessant arguing continues...

To be completely honest, that's why I warn people about incessant arguing. :lol:

In reply to:
Let's see if you can guess what I mean by this: :boring:

I'm at a loss to explain what your emoticon is doing with his hand. Oh wait, maybe not...

In reply to:
No turds from me.

I'm almost disappointed. :cry: :wink:

lewisiarediviva

Aug 17, 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #141 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You have admitted in the past to having no knowledge whatsoever about high altitude mountaineering, what makes you qualified to discuss such a matter? I work with children daily but wouldn't know anything about kids not being a parent, is that what you are implying?

Answer to first question: Things can change. . . a discussion in the past may cause me to notice things that I may not have before- like the age of the youngest to peak, and the ages of deaths.. . just examples.

Answer to second question: Yes I am implying that. I once worked with kids all the time, then I became a parent. I'm sure you have opinions of some of the parents of your students. Notice that I am saying that I was once somewhat like you are now.

So why do you keep trying to pretend that I am for kids mountaineering at high altitudes? I've said I wouldn't take mine "that" high- and you acknowledged it- know would you please accept it, since we agree!

I do wonder how high is to high? 14,000ft? Kids climb to that often. Mine have been to 12,090. The only thing that was an issue were panic attacks by a particular child of mine- but those attacks happened down in the trees because he couldn't see the entire family at once. I'd say that has nothing to do with altitude.

:idea:
edited to add: I think I get it know. The problem with this discussion is that the question was not answered, instead parents attempted to ponder the issues they could relate too- bringing them around to hypothetical answers. And the fact that their was flaming before the question was answered angered some parents before they saw the question. And the question was so far reaching that parents may have felt that the question was a continuation of the flaming, which I ignorantly did not think until my response was responded to.

My personal issue with this thread is that the story [sorry, had to edit out my sapy personal stuff ] All I have been tryig to say is -relax."

jred

Aug 17, 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #142 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The post was obviously sarcastic, but the funny thing was that the pic really wasn't intended as a joke or commentary that had anything to do with the original topic. It's just a standrd thing people throw out into flamefests as a kind of a neutral damper, something to tell everyone that incessant arguing on a forum is a timewaster. I guess depending on who your audience is, people can either be precise, or they can choose to interpret things broad enough so that it becomes a slur.

I mean, based on your initial response you probably didn't read it as a slur either until climbsomething interpreted it as such, right?

That said, it's infinitely livelier now, with my very own turd-flinging nemesis. :wink: :D
You are correct in saying that I was not offended initially, I was not. Although I saw merit in climbsomethings point, I admittedly was quick to get on board the PC train. I am lame.

jred

Aug 17, 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #143 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Answer to first question: Things can change. . . a discussion in the past may cause me to notice things that I may not have before- like the age of the youngest to peak, and the ages of deaths.. . just examples.

Answer to second question: Yes I am implying that. I once worked with kids all the time, then I became a parent. I'm sure you have opinions of some of the parents of your students. Notice that I am saying that I was once somewhat like you are now.

So why do you keep trying to pretend that I am for kids mountaineering at high altitudes? I've said I wouldn't take mine "that" high- and you acknowledged it- know would you please accept it, since we agree!

I do wonder how high is to high? 14,000ft? Kids climb to that often. Mine have been to 12,090. The only thing that was an issue were panic attacks by a particular child of mine- but those attacks happened down in the trees because he couldn't see the entire family at once. I'd say that has nothing to do with altitude.
I will no longer be involved in this discussion with you as I am not a parent and therefore am not qualified to discuss children's activities or children at all.
Oh, and by the way, you were never "somewhat like me" and it is ridiculous of you to assume so.

sky7high

Aug 17, 2006, 1:12 AM
Post #144 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just when I started to feel cool...

Partner cracklover

Aug 17, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #145 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You would rather your kid participate in an extremely dangerous potentially life threatening activity rather than doing drugs, living in a war zone etc? How about neither?
There are kids in the world who are forced to make shoes for wealthy North Americans, there are parents who beat and molest their children, parents who leave their children home alone to look after themselves, allow their kids to play with guns and so on. Do I not have a right to an opinion on the subject because "it's not my kid"? f--- that! I think it is a bad idea to bring a child up a twenty thousand foot peak and I have yet to see anything to convince me otherwise other than "it is not your kid" and "you have no idea about raising a child with autism".

I am convinced that you need a few kids, badly.

if I were Jred, I might be either touched, or extremely offended by the above. Either way, what I'm convinced about is that you are uwilling or unable to see the perspective beyond your world, and you try to make every other situation fit your mold.

Taking this from the general to the specific: while your choices for your family may be perfectly sound, that does not mean they are universally applicable. Nor should people looking at other families' situations be viewed as a commentary on your choices. Yes, there may be parallels, but the ability to "compare and contrast" as they say in school, is where real discussion begins. Without that, we just get knee-jerk reactions. Ugh.

GO

lewisiarediviva

Aug 17, 2006, 4:43 PM
Post #146 of 146 (13025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll admit that I've been a little out of control in this thread, specifically towards jred. I was, in the beginning, offended that other parents were being put down by jred.

I was also offended that jred and I agreed- and he still argued with me on the specific subject.

I tried to to explain, rather poorly, that though I agreed with jred, I wasn't going to stand solid on my agreement because their was no evidence, just speculation on a weak educated guess.

I don't think having kids would revert anyone to my way of thinking. The act of raising kids inevitably brings a parent to the act of Letting Go. Letting Go requires that one have a pretty solid opinion on an issue and you choose to support your child in something you previously disagreed with, because the child is pron to the subject. I accept that Letting Go also refers to giving your child permission to be independent, but they only get their because we have been consciously and unconsciously Letting Go their entire lives.

(I have no concerns about jred being a parent, considering that he has agreed with me on everything except my insistence that he should listen to the parents telling him not to tell them how to raise their kids. He could have at least asked them why they thought he was telling them. He insisted he wasn't, but his language was harsh and sometimes unorganized, putting people on the defense.)

I am dumbfounded that parents could even get a child up a 20,000 foot peak, (let alone Rainier at the age of 7). It is my personal experience that it takes time and training to bring out the motivation and endurance in children to get them their- thus I can see why anyone would view such an act as selfish on the parents behalf. My personal experience is that it would take an awful lot of child focused work to get a child that high, thus depleting the selfish enjoyment. Every time I have even come close to expressing this I was harshly reminded kids shouldn't be up their- It is my assertion that this is why we never got on with a discussion of the article as a whole. And again I admit, that my responses to jred only added fuel to the fire, unfortunately I am very intrigued by this article

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook