RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

bman505

Aug 21, 2006, 2:34 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1530 views)
Shortcut

lucky to be a climber?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My long time friend and climbing partner and I made the uphill approach to our local crag on Sunday
morning. The August heat of 95 degrees had us both sweating before we even hit the clifftop to set up our toprope
anchors. Once we got to the ledge where we would be setting up, the vibe was good, as we had met
a few other climbers and were chatting about sharing ropes and what routes we would be climbing.
Primarily a gym climber myself, I was happy to be outdoors and on real rock again. We
had just been in the park a few days prior and I was looking forward to making another
attempt on a route that finished by
pulling through a large roof and up a slab to a ledge. Once our toprope rig was finished , we set
out to the 4th class scramble that would put us at the bottom of our route.

Once at the bottom of the crag, a large terrace that sits about 30 feet above the ground, we continued
to talk and casually get ready to climb. The climbers we had met were setting up about 10 feet to the left
of where our line was. They dropped their rope, and made a few adjustments. I remember looking up
to the top of the 70 foot face, and as I watched them setup, I thought "I hope they're careful. " Although not terribly dangerous,
watching someone set up near the edge of the cliff always makes me nervous. Chris climbed, and easily
made it to our anchors below the large roof. I lowered him, and tied on my chalk bag.

Then, while facing the cliff, I heard a loud buzzing noise, followed by the impact. Whatever had fallen had
cleared the ledge we were on, and landed about 30 feet below in the woods Within
what seemed like only seconds, we agreed that it had in fact been a person although neither of us had
actually been looking in that direction. Chris quickly put his tennis shoes back on and began to scramble
down to the body, as I called 911 and began to recount what had happened to the operator. Upon arrival to the body,
Chris confirmed that the person was not responding or moving, and that it wasn't anyone who we had
been talking to. Had it been one of the climbers setting up , they surely would have landed right next to where we stood.

I began scrambling up to the top of the area to head to the ranger station, and to meet the EMT's upon their
arrival. I noticed before I left, that two other teenagers had made their way down to the body as well.
Unsure of the circumstances of the fall, I began to go through in my head all the possibilities of what had
happened. Was somebody scrambling near the very top, which sits about 30 feet above our toprope anchors, and
slipped? Was it a climber? Upon arrival at the top, still thinking someone had fallen accidentally, I expected to see
distraut friends or family members. No one was in sight.

After the paramedics arrived, I pointed them towards where the faller had landed. I then began to scramble down
to where our gear was when I saw Chris and the two teenagers making their way back up. One of the teenagers had witnessed
what had happened. She indicated that the jump was intentional. It did make sense, because of the various ledges throughout the
cliffs. If someone had slipped, it's likely that they would have scrapped down the face, and landed much closer to the base.

We came to the park to climb. Somebody else came to take their own life. We did everything we could
to walk out of the park with our own lives as far as safety was concerned . I began to grow sad after the initial shock of the
situation had worn off. I never saw the face of the man, but I began to wonder about the details of his life, and what would
force him to take such drastic measures.
Like many on this webiste, I work all week, looking forward to climbing with friends on the weekends. I am blessed
and lucky to have such a great wife, friends,
and family. It's hard to imagine that things could be so bad to want to end your life. Tonight, I am feeling lucky. I feel lucky to have
such a thing as climbing,
because for me, among many other things, it is something to live for.

my_name_is_fake

Aug 21, 2006, 2:45 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Re: lucky to be a climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, must have been quite a shock for you guys...

freakyclimber

Sep 9, 2006, 3:17 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW so touching :shock:

rockguide

Sep 9, 2006, 3:25 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Difficult situation - and can be traumatic.

I hope you are doing OK.

sick_climba

Sep 9, 2006, 3:44 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, Im sorry you had to go through that, just goes to show you, that taking your own life not only affects the ones you love but also those who didn't even know you.

sky7high

Sep 9, 2006, 3:46 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we're all lucky, every single one of us, just because we use a computer to comunicate. Anyway, instead of preaching about being humble, I hope this incident helps you and others so that they do not commit suicide. This is very touching though.
Whenever you're down, cheer up, life's good, climb on!

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook