Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
how do various methods of birth control affect you?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alexis_86

Jul 20, 2006, 4:15 AM
Post #26 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Re: how do various methods of birth control affect you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone experienced personality changes while being on the Pill? I read that Yasmin causes a decrease in the levels of male hormones in women and I'm not sure if that's a good thing at all. I mean, yeah, I like having sex, but I like the being a tomboy even more, you know? And I don't need to find out this way if my personality is determined by the levels of male hormones in my body or not. I'd get a tubal, but it involves IV's, needles and someone cutting me open. Ewrgh.

forthesunrise

Aug 18, 2006, 2:27 PM
Post #27 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i definitely gained weight when i first went on the pill, but now i am on a low-dose kind and i'm skinnier than i have been in years. it regulates hormones, makes my skin clearer, and you know that whole no-baby thing. i love it! my doctor helped me pick out the right kind because the 2nd pill i went on actually made me a raving monster- hehe you can ask my boyfriend... but the 4th one was the charm! it's the best. gotta just find something that works with your body.

rckgrl908

Aug 20, 2006, 1:07 AM
Post #28 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was on the othro birth control, and it worked like a charm(mine was for other reasons then birth control) my moodiness went away, it helped keep my skin clear, and my awful cramps went away it was SO NICE!! i did go off a few months ago, but i am considering going back on, it works like a charm :D .

alexis_86

Aug 21, 2006, 4:24 AM
Post #29 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, I'm on this pill my doctor gave me, Marvelon, I'm dealing with the mood swings and all, but I started spotting two weeks into it. Then my period turned up yesterday. I have another three more days to go on the pills until the opne week break thing. Is this supposed to happen???? Anyone?

lewisiarediviva

Aug 22, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #30 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alexis,

I was told that for myself, who was trying to stop my very next period, that their could be no guarantees for the first cycle. I started my period right on schedule, two weeks after I started on the pill (which had the best odds of eliminating my period during the next full moon). I guess it takes a while to fool the moon.

alexis_86

Aug 22, 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #31 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the strange thing, I wasn't supposed to have my period. I started on the Pill on the first day of my period and a week after it ended, I started light spotting again. Weird.

lewisiarediviva

Aug 22, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #32 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alexis,

I'd be calling the prescribing doctor if I were you. Sounds annoying, if nothing else. Either way, I wouldn't put up with it.

You have all actually discouraged me- I started the pill, with the intent to cut out my period, thus reduceing the mood and aches. But I'm wondering if it's worth it. I was led to believe that weight gain may not be as intense of an issue with the pill as with other methods. . . maybe I should at least give it an honest try.

comet

Aug 22, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #33 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexis_86, you don't have to start a pack on the 1st day of your period.

For me, my body is really stubborn, and trying to do that led to me having my period for 2 weeks straight: my usual week, which was unfortunately during week 3 of the active pills, and then the following week during the inactive pill phase.

Starting the active pills the week AFTER my period started lined up my cycle properly and worked much better.

erisspirit

Aug 23, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #34 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You have all actually discouraged me- I started the pill, with the intent to cut out my period, thus reduceing the mood and aches. But I'm wondering if it's worth it. I was led to believe that weight gain may not be as intense of an issue with the pill as with other methods. . . maybe I should at least give it an honest try.

Yea give it a try. I just started Yasmin, Im almost done with month 2. In month 1 it didn't really help much with the pain or mood swings, but they did tell me it could take a couple months. So far I have not gained any weight ... My boobs got a little bigger :) but I am actually slightly lighter than I was when I started. I think the wieght gain part depends on the person/ pill combo.

hstewart

Aug 23, 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #35 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has anyone experienced personality changes while being on the Pill? I read that Yasmin causes a decrease in the levels of male hormones in women and I'm not sure if that's a good thing at all. I mean, yeah, I like having sex, but I like the being a tomboy even more, you know? And I don't need to find out this way if my personality is determined by the levels of male hormones in my body or not. I'd get a tubal, but it involves IV's, needles and someone cutting me open. Ewrgh.

Yasmin turned me into a raving lunatic. I went off it the day I started having homicidal fantasies about stabbing my bf with a kitchen knife.

Messing with your natural balance of hormones is dangerous to your well-being. Use condoms.

alexis_86

Aug 23, 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #36 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think the wieght gain part depends on the person/ pill combo.

No s***, I actually lost weight after I started marvelon, as if I'm not skinny enough already. I was actually hoping that it might make me gain enough weight to start weighing like a normal person, not a 10 year old kid. Apparently, not. As for mood swings, I didn't really notice much difference, except that I had two very bad weeks after I started it, but my therapist was playing with my anti-depressent dosage then, so that could have been it.

wanderinfree

Aug 24, 2006, 2:42 AM
Post #37 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yea give it a try. I just started Yasmin, Im almost done with month 2. In month 1 it didn't really help much with the pain or mood swings, but they did tell me it could take a couple months. So far I have not gained any weight ... My boobs got a little bigger :) but I am actually slightly lighter than I was when I started. I think the wieght gain part depends on the person/ pill combo.

I've been using Yasmin for about two years. I love it. I no longer get my period--and I don't skip the placebos. I asked my gyn and she told me it was because Yasmin reduces the lining in your uterus, therefore much, much lighter (or no) periods. Prior to it, I tried Ortho-tricylene. I went wacko. Got hyperemotional, constant crying fits. After two months, I demanded a change. The key is to find a pill that works for you. Not all will.

s
Deleted

Aug 27, 2006, 5:33 AM
Post #38 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tried pretty much everything on the market over the past 10 years or so, including the IUD, with the last tried being the Nuvaring. The Nuvaring was by far the best and least noticible for me, but in the end I wound up having to have a partial hysterectomy; other issues prevailed and it wasn't an option.

While a fully functioning female, none of the methods I tried affected my climbing per se, but the anemia that I dealt with while having my period caused some pretty major issues, even when I was on the pill.

Now, I'm climbing harder than I ever have and have absolutely no side effects from added chemicals.

s
Deleted

Aug 27, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #39 of 48 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tried pretty much everything on the market over the past 10 years or so, including the IUD, with the last tried being the Nuvaring. The Nuvaring was by far the best and least noticible for me, but in the end I wound up having to have a partial hysterectomy; other issues prevailed and it wasn't an option.

While a fully functioning female, none of the methods I tried affected my climbing per se, but the anemia that I dealt with while having my period caused some pretty major issues, even when I was on the pill.

Now, I'm climbing harder than I ever have and have absolutely no side effects from added chemicals.

acacongua

Aug 27, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #40 of 48 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With Yasmin, I ate everything in site but still weighed less than I do off it. I had to quit taking it when my boss found me chewing on my keyboard.

reno_rock

Sep 4, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #41 of 48 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too have tried many different BCs, including Depo-Provera, Ortho-Tricylen, Ortho-cylclen, a diaphram, Desogen, Ortho-Evra (the patch) Alesse, and Nuva-Ring. I honostly wasn't going to settle for any side effects I didn't like. So far Depo proved to be awful for me. The best by far seemed to be the patch and the nuva-ring. I loved the patch but found myself messing with it all the time in the shower, or scratching at it during the day. Nuva Ring so far hasn't made me gain weight, moody, sick, and its idiot proof. When I was dating... my boyfriend prefered it because I never had to cart pills around with me when we went places, I was never sick, and didn't have to worry about "forgetting." I thought it was great. I'm still on it.

rockwraith

Sep 26, 2006, 2:00 PM
Post #42 of 48 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What you may find is that the best form of birth control for you will change you get older. What worked for you five years ago may not be so hot now. That tri-cyclic I took at 21 was heinous on my system at 25. I did okay on a monocyclic, but now that I'm 38, I don't really appreciate fighting the weight gain. I switched over to an IUD with progesterone (Mirena). It has a higher rate of success (e.g., you don't become a mommy) than birth control pills. One drawback is insertion. I read the fine print after I passed out in the OB-GYN's office, which says that your blood pressure will drop somewhat upon insertion. After feeling like death warmed over for the next three hours and having cramps for a month, all systems were go.

mother_sheep

Sep 26, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #43 of 48 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm currently taking a progesterone only pill (POP). Since I'm a migraine sufferer, I'm at high risk of having a stroke taking a pill loaded with estrogen. The ONLY side effect I'm dealing with from the POP is that I have to take it the same time every day. This can be tough. But I haven't gained weight, I'm still horney as ever and I'm not any more moody than normal. The stringent schedule is a pain in the butt but I will take that over using a condom any day!

erisspirit

Sep 26, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #44 of 48 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I've been using Yasmin for about two years. I love it. I no longer get my period--and I don't skip the placebos. I asked my gyn and she told me it was because Yasmin reduces the lining in your uterus, therefore much, much lighter (or no) periods. Prior to it, I tried Ortho-tricylene. I went wacko. Got hyperemotional, constant crying fits. After two months, I demanded a change. The key is to find a pill that works for you. Not all will.

In the beginning did you have any issues with Emotion swings on Yasmin? now that I am finishing my 3rd month, I have noticed that i have been having some crazy emotion swings and they are annoying as hell... everything else tho has been fine...I just called my doctor and hopefully she will have some insight on if its time to try something else.

boulderluv

Sep 28, 2006, 9:01 PM
Post #45 of 48 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hello... i am the OP (i've changed my user name since then, simply for the reason that i wanted a new one) for this thread and thought i would update on my desisions/experience since since my first post.... mostly because of the fact that i was so confused and freaked out at the time, and the info that people posted and the personal messages i got were so helpful that i want to add my experience for the next woman who comes along with similar questions.

i decided to go off the pill (Trinessa) i was on and have now been off it for a couple months. the pros have been these:

- found out that my recent (at the time) weight loss of about 8 pounds was enough to change the way i was reacting to my pill as estrogen is stored in body fat (at least that is the way i understand it). at least i know that if i ever go on hormones again that my weight flux could effect more then just the way my body looks ;)

- hard to tell for sure, but i think my weight loss ramped up just a bit after going off the pill. i know for sure that i lost at least half a size in my boobs... a great thing for me as i prefer to be smaller.

- WAY less breast tenderness off the pill and less cramps for the most part.

- more "real" feeling cycle... i am back on my best friend's cycle timeframe (weird i know, but i tend to be on the same cycle as the women around me when not on the pill) and i get less days of flow and more days in between too.

- took a few months but i feel much calmer emotionally. this is a huge reason why i wanted to go off and i really feel more like myself now... not nearly as much crying and i feel much more in control of stressful situations in all aspects of my life.

- have not had another migraine headache since i went off... my doctor never told me that as a migraine sufferer i was more at risk on the pill. makes me furious, and of course i have changed doctors already. i may look into the pill that mother_sheep mentions above if i ever decide to go bak on the hormones again (though that is not likely).

as you can probably tell, i am really happy to be off the pill now... the pros far out weigh the cons which is basically this:

- having to use a condom. this sucks big time. my BF is thinking about having the snip procedure done... however the whole issue is causing some problems in our relationship... maybe this is a good thing as it is forcing me to confront/deal with communication problems that we have as well as a few other things. we'll see what happens with it.

on antoher note, i felt a bit of guilt when i first went off the pill... as if i was not taking advantage of something that was offered to me as an easy solution that "everyone" uses. while i love that i have the option of the pill (and would never want that to go away), i wish that culture and health care providers would not promote it so heavily as the only option... men and women both need to remember that it is a drug with side effects just like any other drug. and if a woman's health, emotional or physical, is comprimised even in small ways, it is completely within reason for that woman to decide against the pill as a method of birth control even though it may not be as easy a solution for the woman and/or her partner. just my 2 cents.

anyway... wanted to share my experience in case others find it useful. i think the more well educated we are on issues like this, the more empowered we are in our lives.

reese_7

Sep 30, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #46 of 48 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using Seasonal for a while now. I only get 4 periods a year (that rocks) plus my periods are really light. My skin is clearer. My moods are fairly stable; I have a few, not so happy days right before I get my period. It didn't help with cramps and I weigh about 10 lbs more than I did before I started taking it.
Over all I like it, I went all summer without a tampon :P

fernregan

Nov 8, 2006, 7:55 PM
Post #47 of 48 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got 6 months of free sample Tri-Ortho Cyclen before leaving on a climbing roadtrip. I had been taking various types of bcpills for 4 years. However, the TOC made me INSANE and definately affected my climbing ability. It took me 18 months to find a doctor who would admit that birthcontrol pills can 'possibly' affect moods. After reflecting on the years prior to the TOC, I realized that the pill had always been making me moody, lethargic, and depressed, and that the TOC was just pushing me over the edge. It took 24 months to find a doctor who still didn't listen, but finally suggested the NuvaRing. I was on the NuvaRing for 3 weeks and it was the most miserable 3 weeks of my life. I took it out one day when I couldn't finish my regular run, I started walking, I didn't care, and I cried. I talked to the gyno about a non-hormonal IUD, and she said that since I've never had a baby she wouldn't recommend it. My gyno had no solutions except to keep taking different kinds of pills. That was the last time I saw her. I've been totally HORMONE FREE for 4 months and I feel pretty good. I can climb above my gear without having an emotional breakdown, I feel energized and motivated, most of the time. However, there are still a few days a month that aren't quite right. PMS is a real thing and even further PMDD, premenstrual dysphoric disorder is real (http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct02/pmdd.html). No doctor ever mentioned these things to me. Thank you internet for your unending source of information. And for my alternate hormone free solution to birthcontrol I use CONDOMS and take my temperature everyday. There's a good book called "Natural Birth Control Made Easy" by Barbara Kass-Annesse that covers how to watch for your personal fertility signs. Not as reliable as the pill and I am anxious each cycle waiting for my period to come, but it beats being INSANE.
Good luck and don't stop asking questions.

asher84

Nov 25, 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #48 of 48 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spunkyredraider] how do various methods of birth control affect you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm on Ovcon its a very low dose birth control pill, and I haven't gained any weight and am in generally a better mood.

Just had to reply to this one...I took Ovcon for a year, and the last four? months of it my period progressed until the last two months it would be really heavy for about 2 weeks! (as in I'd have the super-mega tampon plus pad, and absolutely have to change it after 45 minutes at the most) I couldn't sleep, for fear of the leaking that would inevitably happen, and sitting in my 5-hour classes would be a nightmare - I couldn't focus on anything else for fear of distraction from this one thing, along with anything else I may be doing throughout the day! Crazy

This, obviously, is just an experience I had and is not necessarily a side-effect of this pill, I'm just sharing my very nasty, very unhealthy and scary experience.

I'm going to check out a new method soon, possibly nuvaring - not just as a birth control, but for other reasons as well. It may just be that my body can't handle it...if so, oh well I suppose.

(This post was edited by asher84 on Nov 25, 2006, 12:28 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook