Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner j_ung

Aug 17, 2006, 3:11 PM
Post #1 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

An Ode to PrAna
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A buddy of mine (not vegastradguy) just got back from OR in Salt lake City and informed me that the folks at PrAna were talking about RC.com. They seemed united, he told me, in their opinion that the company tends to get a bad rap from RC.com users. I have to say, I agree. Nevertheless, I was shocked and saddened by the realization that they feel the same way.

Personally, I have little but admiration for PrAna. They appear to have an environmental conscious (which admittedly, is not unique in our circles). They began as a mom-and-pop under a just a few individuals who seem quite dedicated to their business and the sports to which they market. And despite rumors to the contrary about a drop off in dedication due to the Liz buyout, those same folks remain at the helm today. And I defy any person here to name a company that makes clothing almost exclusively, which has contributed more to our sport and is as involved consistently with the grass roots events we love so much. PrAna has given money, time, personnel and merchandise to nearly every climbing-related cause I can think of and continues to do so happily and tirelessly.

I own several pairs of PrAna shorts and continue to buy more when the odd clothes-shopping moment occurs for me. They're comfy and they fit well under my harness. And you know what? I'm always surprised at how reasonably priced those shorts are. One pair in particular has been with me for a few years now, and I cheerily refer to it as "my sending shorts." And frankly, I don't give a flying fuck that yoga-loving soccer moms also buy their shorts. The more the merrier.

PrAna, my beanie's off to ye. If I ever played any part in your impression of RC.com, I apologize sincerely.

jt512

Aug 17, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #2 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Re: An Ode to PrAna [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I have been an employee at prAna for seven years and have climbed and
ridden mountain bikes extensively with our founder, Beaver. He and his wife Pam are extremely generous, respectful people who work very hard to keep their passions (climbing and yoga) infused into the brand and our company culture.

The decision to go with Liz was very well thought out and made because Pam and Beaver knew that Liz would help us make our products better than ever while keeping our company culture in tact. No suits are coming into this building! At prAna, we are really psyched about the future and know that we can effect positive change in the communities that we love to play in. it's the real deal over here!

To keep your ideals, make sure that:

The ass will split on every stem
The seams will burst at the mention of an offwidth
They cost more than my shoes

That just about says it all.

Jay

Partner j_ung

Aug 17, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #3 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep. :roll:

wonderwoman

Aug 17, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #4 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A committment to the environment is fabulous. I am just as interested in their committment to fair trade and human rights since they moved overseas. Also, all that fuel moving back and forth can't be too good for the environment, either.

cam

Aug 17, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #5 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Prana does get the short end around here. The thing is, in this day and age where 90% of the phone calls I get are from someone who wants very much to separate me from my money, I have a really hard time buying into any degree of altruism expressed by any person or company.

I'm sure they care very much about their Yoga and their climbing and their biking etc, etc, but if their business starts to tank will they continue to clothe the naked climbing-yoga-bikers out there...doubt it.

Hey don't get me wrong, I get it man. They are in buisiness primarily to make money and secondarily to support a community that gives them money. No doubt. My point is this...they are a buisiness. They are selling us a product, an image and membership in a specific clique if you will. If I pay $22 for a beanie, it's not because I don't have other, less costly choices. It's because I want the name and image that go with the beanie. I know that. They know that.

Don't ask me to shed a tear for the way any company is perceived by their target market regardless of how many or how few of their employees wear a suit to the office. Their image is well within their ability to change or shape as they like.

On that note...long live Prana!!!

cam out.

Partner heiko

Aug 17, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #6 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just my 2c: if their reputation among a certain target group is less than positive, they should be thankful for this signal from the market - and having it free on RC.com is even easier for them, they don't need to do any costly research! A complaining customer is better than one that stays away in silence, because you can address him/her.

H.

slowhand

Aug 17, 2006, 5:04 PM
Post #7 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dig Prana and I dig soccer moms.

Partner j_ung

Aug 17, 2006, 5:42 PM
Post #8 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks just for reading folks. I hope we can at least be fair in our judgments. :)

ridefast

Aug 23, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #9 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i havent been on the board very long so i dont know what has been said in the past but this is my take on prana...

i would buy one of everything they make almost, i think their designs/materials/etc are great and very aesthetically pleasing, as well as being quite durable

however, i absolutely hate the fact that the sizing on damn near everything they make is so screwed up. im not the only one that sees this...the girls i work with cant stand this either

for example...in prana shorts, i wear a small...and they almost fall off my ass. a size small pant however almost cuts off the circulation. stepping up to a medium size pant, the waist is definitely too large, and the length would fit someone about 6'5". HOW IS THIS?!

im fairly average sized (5'10", 160 lbs, bout 8-10% body fat)

like i mentioned, this seems to be the case with both mens and womens

please please please work on the sizing issues, use the same measurements for all models of clothing....take care of that and ill be first in line to spend a great deal of $ with prana.

colotopian

Aug 23, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #10 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They made a visor I wear. Its pretty nice. I think its a womans though. I'm ok with that... it goes with my undies! :lol:

scottquig

Aug 23, 2006, 2:53 AM
Post #11 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prana makes hardly any technical clothing. Sure, it may look good, but that's all their clothing is designed to do. I'd pay more for clothing that has undergone research and actually does something besides just covering my body. On the other hand, I'll take the Champion dry tech tee that I bought for $10 at Target. I've worn it every weekend for a whole year, and it dries from soaking wet in about 30 minutes if I'm wearing it. Either way, I'm wearing something that is going to keep me going fast and high. NOT PRANA.

freakyclimber

Aug 23, 2006, 3:01 AM
Post #12 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have toured the old factory a couple times. I have seen the wall. I have hung out at their old house. I used to have the biggest crush on their first daughter paris(she went to my school)

I love PrAna!!!

ja1484

Aug 23, 2006, 3:07 AM
Post #13 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of Prana pants I found on sale one day at the local mountain apparel/outdoorsy store.

They are fine. Actually rather comfortable. But I've had better pants that cost less. That's about all I'll say. If I happen upon some Prana I like and it's at a reasonable price (read: well below their suggested retail price), I'll buy it. Won't go out of my way or wallet for the stuff though.

zenyetta

Aug 23, 2006, 3:08 AM
Post #14 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I 100% agree with you ridefast. (I think). Prana is made for "yoga/climbing...fitness kinda stuff" per say. Yet there sizing is HORRIBLE. There xs pant size slips off on me. What is the deal with that. I mean if your target market was the average tv sittin aroudn doing nothing person. Great ....make them feel good about themself.
But for me who likes to stay fit and am on the smaller side can't even fit into a pair of there pants. IT SINKS! I agree I would spend a lot more money if they sized there product right....and I have heard a lot of the same thing from others too.

ccard257

Aug 23, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #15 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On the other hand, I'll take the Champion dry tech tee that I bought for $10 at Target. I've worn it every weekend for a whole year, and it dries from soaking wet in about 30 minutes if I'm wearing it.

You wear a shirt while you climb? what a n00b :wink:

davidji

Aug 23, 2006, 3:17 AM
Post #16 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More prana bashing?

My single most versatile climbing top is my Prana synthetic long sleeve shirt. It covers the widest temp range, and dries quickly. When temps are warm I can unzip & roll up the sleeves. When it cools a bit I can put the sleeves down & zip. When it gets cold, it insulates pretty well with a windbreaker over it.

Sure I've got other LS shirts, but nothing as "dialed in" for rock climbing as that.

The Prana Zion pants are good too (strech, quick dry, some temp regulation with the roll up cuffs), although not especially durable.

lemon_boy

Aug 23, 2006, 3:20 AM
Post #17 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my main beef with prana is that their clothes don't hold up worth a sh!t. oh, that and the fact that this flimsy sh!t is way overpriced. i wear it when someone gives it to me, but it doesn't take me very long to mangle it. i agree with the quote from angry (via jt512) at the top of the page. too much cheezy trustafarian wheatgrass bs and not enough ummphhh.

beckerw

Aug 23, 2006, 3:46 AM
Post #18 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
however, i absolutely hate the fact that the sizing on damn near everything they make is so screwed up. im not the only one that sees this...the girls i work with cant stand this either

well, welcome to the world of the fit individual. I wear a smedium bottom and a marge top. now, does any company make this. yes, a couple. one is canadian. the times i actually find clothing that fits me are rare.

i have two choices. buy a shirt that fits my shoulders and billows around the waste or buy the shirt that fits my waste and have the sleeves end somwhere around my forearm.

i don't really have an opinion about prana. i bought a long sleeve t and it lasted for ever. their shorts seem nice but the waist feels like it was designed to hide a diaper (which might be good to wear sometimes).

basilisk

Aug 23, 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #19 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i bought a nice pair of shorts from them last year- they've pretty much become my exclusive climbing shorts. i love the elastic waist; buttons and belt buckles suck when that harness get tightened. however, wonderful as my shorts are, i would not call them worth the 50 bucks they retailed at. i don't know what i was thinking that day. a few weeks later i saw the same shorts on sale at ems for $20. a much better buy at that point, but i was kicking myself for gewtting mine too early
in the end, i appreciate their products, but if their prices were lower i'd be much more interested in them

caughtinside

Aug 23, 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #20 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The branding of Prana is just to hippy for me.

Oh, and similar stuff is available for 1/3 the price.

But buy what ya like, sez I!

double

Aug 23, 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #21 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I buy whatever is on sale, so Prana sometimes slips in. I have no complaints with the durability. I've had a pair of their heavy nylon pants that I wear constantly and have dished out a lot of abuse to. They're holding up quite well. Not all their stuff is flimsy.

pendereki

Aug 24, 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #22 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Noone has mentioned my favoite PrAna feature--the velcro fly is great when wearing a harness (for guys at least). I hate fumbling around for that little metal zipper pull thing when I am in a hurry!

CM

lunabruandabby

Aug 24, 2006, 1:32 AM
Post #23 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PranA.....I love you....We love you. Keep on rockin in the free world.

Justin

Partner gunksgoer

Aug 24, 2006, 2:13 AM
Post #24 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think prana gets a bad name because it is worn alot by gym climbers and the weekend warrior type. The idea is that no "real" dirtbag would spend $50-$60 on a pair of pants, so therefor the ones clad in a pair of prana pants, a hat, and shirt arent real climbers. New (mostly gym) climbers seem to buy a bunch of prana stuff because its the "climber brand". So, if you wear alot of prana you are viewed as a tool.

That being said, I am sitting here writting this with a prana shirt on. I have half a dozen prana shirts and about that many pairs of pants and a few pairs of shorts. I have aquired all of that over 4 years or so, with alot of it being on sale. I like the prana shorts and pants alot because they are fairly durable, and (mainly) because they fit well under a heavily loaded harness and are comfy all day. The shirts have that drytech deal going and breathe well so they are comfy around town.

I will differentiate myself from the head to toe prana yuppies by saying that I definatly dont wear it to look like the shit. Many people wont be seen climbing without it, and think that they need to have it on to look like a real climber. This poser aspect is why it has a bad name. I already know that my resume/ability can speak for itself, I dont have to wear prana clothes. I wear them for functionality instead of brand name.

That was alot of rambling but I cant seem to concisely and accuratly describe the "prana complex".

lewisiarediviva

Aug 24, 2006, 3:40 AM
Post #25 of 31 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've bought a few of their shirts. My favorite one is loosing it's stitching and hasn't lasted as long as a few other favorite shirts, form other brands, that I bought at the same time. The other PrAnn shirts shrunk.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook