RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

nicrains686

Aug 28, 2006, 3:20 AM
Post #1 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

how to set a highline
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i havnt found out alot on highlining on the web and i need to know what i need to set the safest line.

Partner gunksgoer

Aug 28, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #2 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Re: how to set a highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need to ask on the internet, you are not ready.

What I will say though, is make sure that everything is redundant!

Partner gunksgoer

Aug 28, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #3 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 28, 2006, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may find this highline mini-article helpful.

Partner coldclimb

Aug 28, 2006, 5:58 PM
Post #5 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only standard pre-requisite for highline rigging in existence at the moment is that you should watch and help someone who knows what they are doing rig and walk a highline before doing so yourself.

You CAN theoretically go out and try it yourself, but that's risking winding up dead. If you do things properly, you won't die.

Find someone who knows, and ask them if they want to go rig and walk a line somewhere. You might try www.slackline.com for that.

Do NOT rely on the internet. NOTHING is nearly as good as real life experience in highline rigging.

nicrains686

Aug 29, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #6 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont think i was clear the first time i posted a message, i have highlined before, and i did it with a slackline express slackline. and i was wondering if there is a better custom rig out there. and i was wondering where the pro's get there lines.

greenketch

Aug 29, 2006, 1:43 AM
Post #7 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The point is. There is much more to it than putting a slackline up high in the air when you rig a highline. This may work once or twice or maybe more but when it fails there is no hope. If you have actually walke or been involved with a highline it is readily visible. Once again get ahold of someone with real experience and help rig a real one. It is the best way to find out how.

nicrains686

Aug 29, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #8 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is what i have been trying to do, but it is very hard to find someone that highlines, or that has even heard of one.

45h

Aug 29, 2006, 3:06 AM
Post #9 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which kit from Slackline Express do you have? I have the original deluxe kit and while it is perfect for a simple backyard lowline, I would not use it for highlining unless I had some kind of death wish. Besides, there's a set of guidelines on the website that specifically state that the Slackline Express kits are not meant to be used for highlining.

Maybe you could start a thread looking for other slackers in your area and maybe the people you meet will be highliners or know of someone who is. Good luck with you highline endeavors and slack safely. :)

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 29, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #10 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i was wondering if there is a better custom rig out there.

The line itself isn't the key problem here but complete lack of any sort of redunancy. Also, depending on the hardware that came with the kit leased falls would be a bad idea since we only rate some of them approx 2,000 lb test - which while being fine for lowline use, does not have close to the needed safety margin on anchor hating leash falls.

Please do me a favor and don't use on of our rigs without proper highline knowledge and proper backups - I know for a fact we have not rated our lines for leashed falls w/ a backup much less without a backup system in place.

Instead, I'd recommend you post up where your from and how far your willing to travel to learn from a highliner.

mushroomsamba

Sep 6, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #11 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I agree. if you need to ask you shouldn't be doing it. highline set up wrong = death.

death will ruin your day

jynckx

Sep 9, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #12 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i actually put together a pretty good article about highlining on www.slackline.com.
here is a direct link, i wish more people would read this, its good info!

http://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=117

hope this helps, dont get hurt!

slackinghigh

Sep 12, 2006, 3:04 PM
Post #13 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WARNING: The following are only opinions and could be entirely wrong! Following this advice could get you killed.

One thing that I will add to the Slackline.com advice, and I realize that he probably doesn't agree is the addition of a rope as a backup. What I do is tension a threaded line for walking, a hand-tight backup of new or rarely used 1", and then a dynamic climbing rope underneath all that. The rope serves as much more than just a backup; it keeps the line from going nuts in the wind. With a rope 40mph gusts barley even shake the line. Since the top threaded is much tighter than the backup line or rope, I find that they are not noticed while highlining. I like shackles because often you need more room than caribiners can handle at the anchors. This is especially true of a trad anchor. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and a highline can have a lot of links.

Of course highlining is dangerous and the forces involved are not understood well. There are rumors, but until I have seen the readout on a tension measuring device under different tests . . . how can one be sure? If someone has around $1000 to burn check this sight out http://www.intercompco.com/pdfs/TL6000.pdf

Do not use old, or UV damaged lines in a highline setup. Your life depends on it. Use your head, once you know you have a bomber line, sit down and think long and hard about it. Are you certain?

Backups are you friend.

enjoimx

Sep 12, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #14 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FATTY ROPE, 3 or 4 lines, Seperate bomber bolts/trees, Low tension, locking steel biners all around, check everything for abrasion and friction

Thats it....it doesnt sound dangerous to me....that setup could hold a truck.

:shock:

Partner coldclimb

Sep 12, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #15 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The Titanic wasn't dangerous either. :wink:

enjoimx

Sep 13, 2006, 3:29 AM
Post #16 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The Titanic wasn't dangerous either. :wink:

The Titanic hit an iceberg...if you hit an iceberg while slacklining....well....your badass!! http://forum.slackline.com/...y/high/Eiliv_Ruud_8c

:lol:

slacker_jon

Sep 20, 2006, 9:18 AM
Post #17 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slackinghigh, you wrote:

" I like shackles because often you need more room than caribiners can handle at the anchors."

How big are the shackles you use?

I'm going to get some soon and have been looking at these: http://www.certex.co.uk/dox/sup/lh/shackles/htss.html

I figure the large bow shackles are the best shape to get and have been thinking of getting the ones with SWL 5.75 tons. My logic behind looking at this size is that it has W (on their diagram) of 2 1/4" which would still allow me to couple off the mainline with a rap ring line locker as I prefer this to using a knot.

"One thing that I will add to the Slackline.com advice, and I realize that he probably doesn't agree is the addition of a rope as a backup. What I do is tension a threaded line for walking, a hand-tight backup of new or rarely used 1", and then a dynamic climbing rope underneath all that. The rope serves as much more than just a backup; it keeps the line from going nuts in the wind. With a rope 40mph gusts barley even shake the line."

I agree, this line was rigged exactly as you describe and it didn't move an inch, despite being very windy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_NOjdgn9yw

jynckx -

Nice little article, why don't you walk a threaded main line though?

nicrains686 -

If you are going to learn how to rig a highline over the internet, "I think" you could do worse than go and rig the one you have in mind, but don't walk it or even dress the lines together, just sit and ask yourself what is the strength of every connection in the rig? Then ask yourself what are the obvious dangers? What danger could there be that is not obvious? What could I do to improve the rig? Do I need to buy any more equipment? - if yes, then buy it!

As I said though, this is just what "I think" and my highline experience is limited to just 2 highlines - people like slackinghigh, coldclimb and jynckx have far more experience that I do and I would listen carefully to their advice. In particular I would read this by slackinghigh: http://www.slackline.com/Page.bok?template=tip

Cheers Y'all - stay safe :wink:

slackinghigh

Sep 20, 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #18 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 8.5 ton shackles, but they are certainly heavy and massive. I can not really justify why I choose such beefy shackles except that it makes me feel good inside.

Partner slacklinejoe

Sep 20, 2006, 9:29 PM
Post #19 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a reminder, if extra biners is your main concern rescue rigging plates are fantastic problem solvers. I never thought I'd use them until I got a Petzl Paw.

slacker_jon

Sep 20, 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #20 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feeling good inside seems justification enough, though I think that there is actually quite a good reason for having them so strong - which is that on both of the lines that we've done we've had to have directional anchor lines as well that have been made from a double strand of static rope. These in isolation would act as poorly loaded anchors, and could be capable of generating very high forces should they come under load for any reason. Hmm - hadn't really thought about it like that before...

How much do yours weigh? those ones I was looking at are over 10lb each.

From this post of shawn's from a couple of years ago:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70947&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=0

he advocates a seperate shackle for each line in the set, which would mean I would need 60lbs weight in shackles to rig a highline. I'll need start hiring sherpas :lol:

What are your thoughts on this?

Partner coldclimb

Sep 21, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #21 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My shackles are massive as well, primarily because two huge ones were cheaper than several halfway big ones, and, let's face it, they're not going to break. ;) Shawn's are 4-ton, mine are 10-ton. Using two shackles definitely made a super-clean setup of the Monkey Face Highline in May this year. It was Anchor, shackle, slacklines, shackle, anchor, when all was said and done, but you don't generally have an anchor like that, so that's not usually the case.

Both methods work very well, you just have to decide whether the added redundancy is your thing. :)

jynckx

Sep 23, 2006, 1:30 AM
Post #22 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slacker_jon wondered why i dont like to walk threaded highlines- i do sometimes. In the highline setup, some lines are tight, and some loose. Looser is strionger. What i try to do is have the loose/stronger lines be the threaded, and have the other line tighter for walking on. Its better to have your backup be stronger, plus I like the "lighter" feel of walking on the single line. I find that many times people's highlines are very tight and heavy, and are therefore harder to walk.

slackinjacklyn

Sep 23, 2006, 2:31 AM
Post #23 of 23 (5984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about using type 18 webbing for 1 or more of the strands for your highline. Great feel (to some), and apparently much stronger(?)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook