RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

acro

Sep 26, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #1 of 6 (803 views)
Shortcut

Penitente Canyon, CO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, time for your CO ppl to spray about your climbing area knowledge.

We are planning to visit you guys, i.e. climb at Penitente Canyon during the second week of October. I have no clue how the weather is. Is it too climb to cold ? I checked up the current weather and it was in lower 40s.

Any more info is always appreciated. ( like hw's the camping? water facilities? Food? )

Thanks in advance.

-- acro

mother_sheep

Sep 26, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #2 of 6 (803 views)
Shortcut

Re: Penitente Canyon, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A good resource:

http://www.mountainproject.com/...ghtphrase=penitente&

It is not too cold to climb there in October. In fact, it might be quite pleasant, especially on the S. facing lines. There are pay sites. I don't recall the H2O situation there. We packed in water. Fun place. The lines are pretty short but highly enjoyable with easy approaches. Have fun!

mother_sheep

Sep 26, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #3 of 6 (803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good resource:

http://www.mountainproject.com/...ghtphrase=penitente&

It is not too cold to climb there in October. In fact, it might be quite pleasant, especially on the S. facing lines. There are pay sites. I don't recall the H2O situation there. We packed in water. Fun place. The lines are pretty short but highly enjoyable with easy approaches. Have fun!

rockprodigy

Sep 26, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #4 of 6 (803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's the perfect time to climb in Penitente. The nights will be very chilly...probably below freezing. You'll climb in the sun in the morning, then seek shade as the day warms up. There is water available at the road intersection (about 1/2 mile from the campsites)...bring milk jugs or something to hold it. The rangers have been real douchebags lately, so if you're going to stay in the pay camping, make sure you pay right when you get there. There is a lot of free camping around that area as well.

climberman15

Sep 26, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #5 of 6 (803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never been to Penitente but I have heard good things. I am leaving from Oklahoma to do a mini-tour of the front range the same week. Have fun and be safe. :D

rockprodigy

Sep 26, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #6 of 6 (803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's the perfect time to climb in Penitente. The nights will be very chilly...probably below freezing. You'll climb in the sun in the morning, then seek shade as the day warms up. There is water available at the road intersection (about 1/2 mile from the campsites)...bring milk jugs or something to hold it. The rangers have been real douchebags lately, so if you're going to stay in the pay camping, make sure you pay right when you get there. There is a lot of free camping around that area as well.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook