RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

stellarock

Sep 27, 2006, 1:50 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

A New Fear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have had such a busy summer that I didn't get to climb outdoors much- We went for a trip this past weekend. I found that I was very intimidated by the rock & had a persistent fear that I was going to fall to the ground (we were climbing sport this weekend). This is totally new & it really hurt my climbing- I went from a 5.10d (average) to climbing 5.8's & was still fearful- Anyone have a sudden fear of heights & falling?? YIKES!!
I suppose more trips will help ease this, but any other thoughts would be much appreciated!
Thanks!!

granite_grrl

Sep 27, 2006, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Re: A New Fear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that getting out more and leading helps the head. You can start off slow and work on getting your head on stait, but if you start getting upset over it you'll ruin your day out. Just work on enjoying your self, the falling fear should work itself out.

climberterp

Sep 28, 2006, 2:09 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm, tricky! Is there anything else going on for you that might be causing you stress? That could indirectly effect your climbing I would think....if you're already stressed out about other stuff then I'd think weird fears could come up as your mind might go on overload. Don't know if that makes any sense.

I'll second the suggestion to get out there more and don't worry too much about how hard you're climbing. Be patient with yourself and you'll regain your comfort level more quickly.

Good luck!

gblauer

Sep 28, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stellarock,

In my personal experience, I find that my fear (or lack thereof) goes in cycles. There are times when I am fearless and when I have a great deal of fear. I agree with the post above, my fear typically resurfaces when things in my non climbing life are out of balance. That being said, there are things you can do to overcome your fear.

One thing I learned from Arno, always warm up falling! Yeah, that's right, I try and spend 10-15 minutes when I first start climbing taking some lead falls (if you are totally sketched you take progressively long TR falls). once I feel comfortable and relaxed falling, I can really focus on my climbing and technique. (Please note that you have to set up the proper conditions for taking those warm up falls! i.e. don't take lead falls over a ledge, make sure you have bomber gear, re-check the gear after every fall etc). In the gym, I always take falls and I never clip the last bolts; I always take the "victory whip".

Remember, this too shall pass and you will get your mojo back.

(research some earlier posts in the Ladies forum, there have been a few threads on this topic)

stellarock

Sep 29, 2006, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, as bizarre as it sounds, I am not fearful of lead falls-
This fear is more of a distrust of the rope? belayer? heights? I don't know- It's a feeling of insecurity...but lead falls are not an issue

lmcwil

Oct 3, 2006, 9:20 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All I can say is, in my own personal experience I have gone through periods of weird fear. The first time I took a big lead fall, I got weirded out even on TR for months afterward. I kept reliving the fall every time i climbed.

On one or two other occasions, especially when I had been away from climbing for a month or so, I was freaked out as well when I started up again. The remedy for me was just to keep forcing myself to climb, at least on TR, until gradually the fear went away.

I guess I don't have anything hugely helpful to recommend, but I can tell you this- it is possible to overcome the fear. Odds are, one day soon you'll be out climbing and suddenly you will realize that when you stopped paying attention to it, the fear went away, leaving no trace.

chossmonkey

Oct 15, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, as bizarre as it sounds, I am not fearful of lead falls-
This fear is more of a distrust of the rope? belayer? heights? I don't know- It's a feeling of insecurity...but lead falls are not an issue

It's all tied together.

If it is safe, taking some falls on purpose should help. It will demonstrate that the rope will hold, or your belayer will catch you.

Sometimes though you just need to put in some time and get acquainted with the feelings.

seanhabgood

Oct 16, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey it is normal if you climb long enough you find a place or a time or situation that scares the hell out of you. You keep climbing to get over it or climb things that do not cause the fear. Then work your way back, and make sure you are with some one who you trust and gives strong positive support. I had a friend who fell on an approach to a climb and broke his wrist it got to me at first but with time I was back on the rock. Good luck be positive! Sean

stonefoxgirl

Oct 18, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am in the same boat. I was amazed by my intimidation this past weekend. I left climbing for a while due to injury, work and a bunch of other excuses. When I left I was climbing well and I was in great shape. My first time back outside I was scared to climb above my bolt, rope transfer, fall. I wasn't believing in myself. It's hard having the knowledge of where you were in climbing and having to climb today without those things. You kind of have to deprogram for a second, really look at NOW. It really doesn't take that long to get back into the swing of things. I am now, after a month I guess, climbing in the gym 3 days a week for at least 2 hours and I am climbing outside every weekend. I am gaining my confidence and my composition back. It is a slow process to do it correctly and safely but you will get there. Good Luck to you! Trust yourself-

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook