RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

gregouf

Sep 20, 2006, 9:55 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Tokyo/Yokohama
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm from France and i will move to Tokyo (to live and Yokohama to work) in few days. I will stay there several months and i would like to find some climbing partners. I've started one year ago, and my level is lead 5.10. So, if you are looking for someone for climbing or bouldering, give me a reply.

Bye,
Greg.

bill_in_tokyo

Sep 25, 2006, 5:43 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Tokyo/Yokohama [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Greg,

A bunch of us (mixed crew of foreigners and Japanese) climb regularly at the branch of the T-Wall climbing gym located in Edogawabashi, in central Tokyo. It's located five minutes walk from the Edogawabashi station of the Yurakucho subway line.

We generally climb on Tues. and Thurs. evenings, starting at around 7:00-7:30 and continuing on until closing at 10:00 or shortly before. You'd be welcome to join us. We also get outside regularly, so that's a possibility, too.

Web site for the T-Wall climbing gym is here:

http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~t-wall/top/index.html

Click on "gym info" at the top of the first page, then on the second orange button in the "contents" box that appears in the center of the resulting page. Scroll down and you'll see an access map for the Edogawabashi branch, starting from the Edogawabashi train station. Make sure to use Exit 4 from the station.

Also, there's the International Adventure Club (IAC), which runs various outdoor activities, including some climbing. I'm not a member, so can't provide much info. Nonetheless, might be worth a look. Here's a web site:

http://www.iac-tokyo.org/

At the gym, if you make it, look for a bunch of mixed foreigners warming up on the top ropes and then down on the lead walls. I'm personally recognizable due to being ridiculously short (around 163, i.e., 5 foot 4 or so) with graying, thinning brown hair.

Definitely come say hi!

If you need more info. in order to find the place, let me know.

gregouf

Sep 26, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Bill,

Thanks for all info, the climbing room seems nice. I'll arrive next week in Tokyo (but I'll work in Yokohama). It'll maybe hard to join you on Tuesday or Thursday evening , cause i don't know my work schedule, but if you go climbing during week-end, let me know. But I'll try to join asap of course :D

Concerning the map on the web site, on which line is the Edogawabashi train station ?

Thanks for all information, I'll try to join you crew. What is your level ?

bill_in_tokyo

Sep 27, 2006, 6:43 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edogawabashi station is on the Yurakucho Line.

As for my level, well - some stuff is easy, some stuff is hard and some stuff is impossible. Haven't dropped a partner yet. How much do you care?

mountainchick82

Sep 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm looking for a partner to climb at b-pump or whatever that gym is in Yokohama. I live in Ayase which is about 15 min by train, and I pass through Yoko going to work.

Let me know if you're up for climbing. I've taken a break from climbing, but when I was climbing I was leading 5.9 sport. I've got some equip if you want to go out too.

Cheers

cchas

Sep 28, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On weekends you can take the train down to Makaiwa Yugawara which is just south of Yokohama, for some very moderate sports climbing (aa lot in the 5.9-5.11 range). Its been 10 years since I've lived in Tokyo but I think its about an hour south.

gregouf

Sep 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, nice a lot of answer :D .

So :
bill > I will move to my apartment in Tokyo on Thrusday, so i'll try to go to T-Wall this day or the week after. DO you have an e-mail to contact you ?

mountainchick82 > Perfect, i'm working in Yokohama, not far from the climbing room (i'll check), so i'm very interested. But i think that B-Pump it's only bouldering. Same question, do you have an e-mail to contact you ?

Bye,
Greg, 3 days before departure.

bill_in_tokyo

Sep 29, 2006, 6:00 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Greg,

PM with e-mail address sent. Or you can PM me on this site.

cchas is right about Makuiwa/Yugawara - a fun place to climb and easy access. There are various other daytrip crags as well.

See you in a few days, with luck!

By the way, the Yokohama B-pump is actually B-Pump2. The original B-Pump is near Kokubunji. Here's the English language web site for B-Pump2, with access map:

http://www.pump-climbing.com/tmp/bpump2.htm

Hey Mountainchick,
If you can get yourself up to Tokyo one of these days, join us at the gym!

mountainchick82

Sep 30, 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, you can PM me on this site too.

Bill-I'd love to...hopefully in the next few weeks I can get up there. I'm still trying to get settled in my new job. I'll send you a PM when I know

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook