RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

jr05

Sep 28, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2036 views)
Shortcut

How often do you have to tighten?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started slacklining a while ago and have found the best tensioning method to be a simple 4 biner one (similar to the one in coldclimb's setup diagrams). However, I have found that I have to tighten frequently with this method. I did not adopt this method until I got some new webbing a couple weeks ago. I am not sure if it is the new webbing stretching, a flaw in my system, or just how it is going to be. How often do you guys have to re-tension your system while you are out?

My line is roughly 40 ft long using blue water climb spec. webbing (feels awesome compared to standard mil spec!)

Thanks

slacker_jon

Sep 29, 2006, 6:05 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2036 views)
Shortcut

Re: How often do you have to tighten? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I reckon the system is fine, it'll just be your new webbing stretching - this is normal.

I think with shorter lines that you need to re-tension more often than with bigger lines, because the tension required on a big line seems to overcome the elastic release you get in the lower tension range... although a big line sags far more if get's wet.

Why do you prefer the feel of the climb spec so much more than mil spec?

jr05

Sep 29, 2006, 6:52 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2036 views)
Shortcut

Re: mil spec vs climb spec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only reason I like it better is that it has a softer feel to it than the regular mil spec. I know it has some better wear resistance due to a finer weave, this may account for the softer feel. Not sure if anybody else agrees, but to me, it is definitely better.

I have only used the climb spec webbing from blue water, and a couple different mil specs from various suppliers. The difference is not extreme, but I think it is definitely noticeable.

Partner slacklinejoe

Oct 2, 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the mil-spec vs climb-spec thing, the only real difference is the weave type which while being more abrasion resistant can be more slick when wet and in my experience cause much worse rope burn if you fall against it. I regard it as strictly personal preference, as I prefer mil-spec and mil-spec is cheaper to boot.

There is a strength difference, but it's not much, usually 4,000 lbs to 4,200 lbs for mil-spec vs. 4,500 lbs for climb spec. (i.e. negligable).

Flat webbing however can have radically different handling characteristics as well as strength & elongation differences.

Tensioning, yep, new web will stretch much more than old web. That problem with go away or at least become less of an issue over time. You'll notice that even a little moisture will make a slackline stretch more too.

ja1484

Oct 2, 2006, 2:04 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To each his own: I'll take the abrasion resistance and extra 4kN or strength in climb spec. (22kN vs 18kN for Mil spec).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook