RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

jsu

Oct 1, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

What is the best way to do this?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, Ive been lurking here for a bit but this is my first post.

Iam interested in making a indoor wall inside my house. I need a way to mount the holds that uses the existing wall and looks nice. this is going behind the piano :-D . I have a 35-40ft 90 degree wall then it turns into a 60~ degree incline and goes into the roof. so its perfect for climbing.

I guess I can mount the holds to the studs but that limits the possibilities and would be hard seeing as I need rear access to them for the tnuts. any ideas??? thanks!

(i would like to avoid bolting a large piece of plywood to the studs and then bolting the holds to the plywood)

afreeclimber

Oct 2, 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is the best way to do this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you're going to have to make some compromises.
If the studs in your wall are oriented the way they should be, you'll need really long bolts for even the smallest holds, in order to reach the t-nuts mounted on the backside. Also, you're right about having trouble gaining access to the interior of your wall.
As I see it, you can either bolt plywood to your wall or build a free-standing frame (which will require extra support).
Metolius makes a great guide for building home walls. A friend and I used it as a reference when building a wall in his basement.

btw-if you do bolt holds directly into the wall studs over your drywall, you'll probably have problems with spinning holds, crushing the drywall, and generally causing damage.

afreeclimber

Oct 2, 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you're going to have to make some compromises.
If the studs in your wall are oriented the way they should be, you'll need really long bolts for even the smallest holds, in order to reach the t-nuts mounted on the backside. Also, you're right about having trouble gaining access to the interior of your wall.
As I see it, you can either bolt plywood to your wall or build a free-standing frame (which will require extra support).
Metolius makes a great guide for building home walls. A friend and I used it as a reference when building a wall in his basement.

btw-if you do bolt holds directly into the wall studs over your drywall, you'll probably have problems with spinning holds, crushing the drywall, and generally causing damage.

chossmonkey

Oct 2, 2006, 2:18 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(i would like to avoid bolting a large piece of plywood to the studs and then bolting the holds to the plywood)

All I have to say is, GOOD LUCK!

rockguide

Oct 2, 2006, 2:41 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are good online resources on how to build a home climbing wall. Just google "building a climbing wall"

lambone

Oct 2, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear pianos make excellent crash pads!

bill413

Oct 2, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that you're going to have to use some form of intermediary board. That is, you don't want to bolt the holds to the drywall or plaster - not a good scenario. You don't want to use just the studs - long screws, no access to the back - drywall bearing surface - monotony of spacing. So, use some form of board, which gets bolted to the studs, on which you mount your holds.
PAINT IT! Then you don't have the eyesore of a bare sheet of plywood. You also don't have to use a solid 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, you could make "bands" of it that go across the wall, painted appropriately, you'll have an interesting accent to your decor.

jsu

Oct 3, 2006, 6:54 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well i think iam going to try wood screws for a bit and then go from there if I get more serious about this project. I ordered holds with 2 screws so there shouldnt be a problem with them spinning. Do they make bolts that go through a hole and then expand to create a plate on the other side? I know they make them in smaller size but I dont know about anything that could fit this criteria.

svilnit

Oct 3, 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mom & Dad are going to be pissed when they get home and find out what you did!! :lol:

bill413

Oct 3, 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
well i think iam going to try wood screws for a bit and then go from there if I get more serious about this project. I ordered holds with 2 screws so there shouldnt be a problem with them spinning. Do they make bolts that go through a hole and then expand to create a plate on the other side? I know they make them in smaller size but I dont know about anything that could fit this criteria.
I've used holds that I've screwed onto wood with #12 (or even #14) wood screws. That worked fine. Remember to pre-drill an appropriate sized hole first, there is no way you will get good results trying to drive those without doing so.
They do make large expansion bolts - I don't know what size they go up to, and good luck finding them...BUT! Your weight & movements place tremendous forces upon the holds & the system anchoring them. If you are contemplating using a hold held to drywall by a single molly bolt, I would fully expect you to wind up on the floor looking at a rather large hole in the wall. I may be wrong about that, but I wouldn't take that risk in my house. If the walls are not drywall (as we've been assuming), but wood, then you should be allright. If they're plaster, I really don't know...that tends to have a pretty variable substrate.

jsu

Oct 3, 2006, 6:36 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks alot. I have studs every 18inches or so so ill be using those. i wouldnt attach the holds directly to the drywall. I wasnt sure if anyone has used straight wood screws so that was comforting. as for my parents.... my dad is a climber and wants to build this with me and my mom says that she wants a "fun" house.

Oct 3, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I imagine you will have to build some sort of toprope anchor? 35 foot is pretty highball for me. And that alone will be more hassle than running plywood.

I think in the end you will be most happy if you lay some sort of substrate (i.e. 3/4" plywood) to distribute the load to the studs. Otherwise you have little versitility and every time you change the route you are left with an eye sore. Home walls are a pain sometimes, but when done right, they make for some great enjoyment. Done wrong and you will tire of it quickly.

I need more holds (The never ending story)!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook