RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

trapdoor

Oct 3, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #1 of 5 (901 views)
Shortcut

Wind Pants
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to get some pants that block the wind. Does any body have any experience with the mountain hardwear transition featherweight tights? I'm open to soft shells too but have never worn any and don't know how it performs in the wind.

trapdoor

Oct 4, 2006, 6:17 AM
Post #2 of 5 (901 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wind Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nobody?

thetroutscout

Oct 4, 2006, 6:41 AM
Post #3 of 5 (901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't wear them as an outer laying when climbing. I have a top and it snags like crazy!! The best thing I've found is to layer over it with something more snag resistant. For over my top the MH Offwidth jacket is king for climbing. It's unlined and and a really though soft shell. I've fallen and scrapped it against the rock really hard many times and no signs of wear. It's made to take the abuse of climbing. Those transition items are really great and that's really their only bad side. Your best bet might just be some rip-stop nylon pants to go over your tights. I'm sure MH has something to fit that need. They are a sweet company!

^^ike

sspssp

Oct 5, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #4 of 5 (901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm looking to get some pants that block the wind. Does any body have any experience with the mountain hardwear transition featherweight tights? I'm open to soft shells too but have never worn any and don't know how it performs in the wind.

My silver featherweight t-shirt is my favorite windshirt (too bad MH is only making it sun boiling dark red and dark blue).

However, the featherweight pants that I picked up shreded in no time flat. Finding durable climbing pants (despite the hype) is difficult. There have been a lot of clothing threads, if you haven't, you should do a search.

"Soft shells" vary quite a bit on just how windproof they are and how durable (stay away from light weight Schoeller, 400-Shoeller seems ok).

I would also recommend going with a company (e.g. patagonia) or a store (such as REI), that will unconditionally gaurentee them, so you can get a refund/exchange when you blow the knee out with a single fall (like I've done).

climbingaggie03

Oct 5, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #5 of 5 (901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my prana zion stretch pants, they're pretty wind resistant, I've had mine for a year or two now and they don't show any wear except where a flying ember landed on me and melted a hole in them. Or if you don't need synthetic, you could just go with some carhartts, or jeans or something like that.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook