RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

socialclimber

Oct 11, 2006, 1:25 AM
Post #1 of 12 (34195 views)
Shortcut

"Intimidating Atmosphere" At Cho Oyu Basecamp Afte
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Following the shooting of a Tibetan nun a few days earlier, tension has been high as armed members of the Peoples Armed Police, a para-military organization under Chinese control, took up occupation of Cho Oyu base camp
Mounteverest.net reports.

rockeys

Oct 11, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #2 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

China tries to gag climbers who saw Tibet killings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This story is starting to break across the world. Makes you wonder how many other similar incidents go unreported when they are not witnessed by western climbers. Write to your local politician, foreign minister, secretary of state or friendly Politburo Member to apply the pressure on the Chinese Government. These human rights abuses cannot be tolerated from a nation hosting the Olympics in under 2 years time.

The Independant
Reuters
International Campaign for Tibet

rockeys

Oct 11, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #3 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Climbers under pressure to speak out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pressure is now starting to be applied to the climbers to come forward and tell their story. Not sure how fair this blogger is towards the climbers involved.

shakylegs

Oct 15, 2006, 2:06 PM
Post #4 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers under pressure to speak out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This video pretty much documents what happened. It ain't pretty.

overlord

Oct 15, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #5 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Intimidating Atmosphere" At Cho Oyu Basecamp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i read in a slovenian newspaper (its pretty big news here since a slovenian alpinist pavle kozjek was one of the climbers) that the climbers were invited to a meeting in chinese ebmassy in nepal. offcourse no one went there. anyway, ill try to dig it up from somewhere in english.

petsfed

Oct 15, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #6 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't Cho Oyu "poached" for want of a better term with a fair degree of consistency? That is, don't climbers come over illegally via Nangpa La to climb it?

polishbob

Oct 15, 2006, 6:52 PM
Post #7 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it should be called killing fields in Tibet, not "intimidating atmosphere". now this is typical pinko political correctness. here you have killing of unarmed civilians and you call it intimidating. let's call murder a murder and get away from this bullshit. on the other hand we are guilty of financial support- even recently Alpinist moved their printing to china. Also Black Diamond, Metolius, North Face (among hunderds of others) relocated their production over there. maybe if we start asking in the stores if the products were manufactured in china they will start getting the message

socialclimber

Oct 15, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #8 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think it should be called killing fields in Tibet, not "intimidating atmosphere"....here you have killing of unarmed civilians and you call it intimidating...

The "intimidating atmosphere" was the feeling that existed after the shootings, when armed boarder guards took over the camp.The reference to an intimidating atmosphere in my title was a quote from within the article, presumably you missed it when you read the story. Your suggestion of "Killing fields in Tibet" for a title leans too far towards unbridled sensationalism, something that is equally as detestable as political correctness in my view and should be avoided at all costs.

polishbob

Oct 16, 2006, 4:58 AM
Post #9 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok see for yourself, here is a link to actual footage:
http://www.protv.ro/filme/exclusive-footage-of-chinese-soldiers-shooting-at-tibetan-pilgrims.html#4265
as you can see it looks like a taget shooting. this is nothing new. the same things were happening on a border between east and west germany for example. so how many people have to die before you'll start calling things how they are. this is not an isolated incident. the practice of arresting people, torture, shooting people on the border is quite common. now you tell me this is not killing fields?

polishbob

Oct 16, 2006, 6:24 AM
Post #10 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is a link to actual footage. http://www.protv.ro/filme/exclusive-footage-of-chinese-soldiers-shooting-at-tibetan-pilgrims.html#4265
i am sure concentration camps during ww2 were just intimidating and alarming about extermination of Jews, Gypsies, Poles and other nation would be a "unbridled sensationalism" in your words.

petsfed

Oct 16, 2006, 8:58 AM
Post #11 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this is a link to actual footage. http://www.protv.ro/filme/exclusive-footage-of-chinese-soldiers-shooting-at-tibetan-pilgrims.html#4265
i am sure concentration camps during ww2 were just intimidating and alarming about extermination of Jews, Gypsies, Poles and other nation would be a "unbridled sensationalism" in your words.

8 posts in and you've already Godwin'ed the thread. Congratulations.

I think "intimidating atmosphere" refers to the feeling in Cho Oyu base camp, where more than a few climbers are thinking "if I say a single word, I'll get deported, arrested, or shot, maybe all three, and in that order".

Incidentally, using sensationalism usually causes well informed people to stop listening. You better believe I sat up straight when I heard about the nun getting killed. You didn't need to embelish the point, and you're probably scaring off erstwhile supporters by doing so. Having lived and protested in the US for the last 8 years, that's one lesson I've learned all too well.

Partner alexmac

Oct 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #12 of 12 (34161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I think it should be called killing fields in Tibet, not "intimidating atmosphere"....here you have killing of unarmed civilians and you call it intimidating...

The "intimidating atmosphere" was the feeling that existed after the shootings, when armed boarder guards took over the camp.The reference to an intimidating atmosphere in my title was a quote from within the article, presumably you missed it when you read the story. Your suggestion of "Killing fields in Tibet" for a title leans too far towards unbridled sensationalism, something that is equally as detestable as political correctness in my view and should be avoided at all costs.

I agree 100% and his following posts of quoting history of mass murder of millions and a world war to one death is silly, never mind that it was a world war and this occupation of one tiny base camp.

Do we feel for the pilgrim , of coure we do. Is tibetan and occupied land yes it is.... Want to talk about Occupied lands, ask the Scottish or the Native Americans or the PLO or Iraq or many Russian states or even lands in Poland that were once German, Hunagrian, etc...

If China is smart they will say the solder exceeded his order and ask him to buy his own bullets for his fire squad and say justice was served for the murder of the pilgrim.

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook