Premier Sponsor:

carabiner96

Oct 14, 2006, 4:32 AM
Post #1 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

In Mourning
Report this Post
Can't Post

A girl went missing from my hall last weekend. Most people assumed she had gotten drunk and lost or simply ran away, but she was still missing for a long time. I didn't know her at all, maybe had never seen her before; but from her pictures from the missing flyers up on campus you could tell that she was a real nice person. She went missing on Oct. 7, and by the 10th they had the FBI, state police, and volunteers looking for her. But still, we all believed she'd turn up somewhere like montreal - in trouble for running away, but fine.

They found her body today, in a small town outside of Burlington, just off a logging road, shoved between some boulders. She was murdered, they think they have the guy who did it; just a man whose cell phone she asked to borrow when hers died, she met him randomly on the main road in Burlington at 2.30 saturday morning, when plenty of people were still out partying. She was alone, however, her friends still at the bars.

It's a very strange kind of grief; i never knew the girl, nost of us didn't. But the loss is still there; she lived a floor below me for two months, who knows, by the end of the year she could have been my best friend.

The scary part was we knew it could have been any of us who asked that man for a favor. So i guess i just want to say that please, everyone be careful, and don't roam alone; even in a small town like burlington we still need to be careful.

Take care, all.

-Maureen

clausti

Oct 14, 2006, 5:59 AM
Post #2 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Re: In Mourning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a girl at my university got killed this summer. strangled in the apartment complex where my older sister lived for two years. i slept over there a lot.

its weird how it hits you. it happens to a person- a person made real by the people you both knew, by the places you both knew, by the things even besides friends you probably shared. and at the same time, it happens in a place that you know. one of your safe places, even maybe. and you realize it could happen to you.

hope you do ok, 'biner.

-cla

Partner j_ung

Oct 14, 2006, 2:24 PM
Post #3 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sucks when random hits close to home, doesn't it? :(

madriver

Oct 14, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #4 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Caribiner...

It's a very sad day for Burlington and VT. If anyone knows Burlington, you know the vibe there. It is a blow to everyone that lives and loves VT. So sad for her family and all of us that have watched this story unfold. My heart goes out to her friends and family. Please be safe when having fun down on Church St., but don't loose the spirit and Vibe that is Burlington. A rare and horrible event none the less. I am deeply saddend today.

Bob

P.S - what is strange to me is that my reaction is one of great saddness, and not one outrage. I feel like Burlington and VT has lost some of it innocence, it's grace and peaceful demeanor.

chossmonkey

Oct 15, 2006, 2:51 AM
Post #5 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I saw something about that in Yahoo news.

Spooky.

thegreytradster

Oct 15, 2006, 3:20 AM
Post #6 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The other night I fliped from Greta Van Sustrand (Fox Cable) when the lead story was this case.

imediate reaction?

Oh Man! another dead coed story.

The sadder fact is this has become so common that anyone would have that reaction.

I remember whe I was your age and got raked over the coals for proposing in a very "militant feminist" setting that good, what we would now call "situational awareness" was an equal oportunity responsibility.

Keep your eyes and ears open and be aware! but, don't slide into paranoia either.

The leopards in the dark are

few,

rare,

but they are real.

and, your own awareness is your best and ultimately last defense.

phase_nine

Oct 15, 2006, 3:28 AM
Post #7 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The girl who was killed was a good friend of mine's best friend. Fvcking horrible how this shit happens. I absolutely do not understand it.

Partner macherry

Oct 15, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #8 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as a mother of a teenage girl, stories like these hit close to home. she's only a few years away from university. Please stay aware and stay safe out there.

very sad event

Partner brent_e

Oct 17, 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #9 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry, biner.

climberterp

Oct 20, 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #10 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry to hear about that 'biner. I have lots of happy memories from my days at uvm, hard to imagine something that brutal happening in burlington, that's for sure. :( though, there have always been loonies around there and it's sad to say that there really aren't any 'safe' places. A guy broke into my dorm my freshman year (high on god only knows what), busted into my suite screaming and bleeding (we had the door unlocked) and tried to grab me. Luckily I was able to escape into my friend's room before he actually did any damage, but DAMN was it scary! :shock:

I guess the moral of the story is crazy people are everywhere. Keep your eyes and ears open and pay attention to your gut!!

nikegirl

Oct 20, 2006, 3:26 AM
Post #11 of 11 (575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:(

~T

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username: