Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Metolius Rock Rings for training... awesome!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

tangboy

Oct 12, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Metolius Rock Rings for training... awesome!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As I am still recovering from cancer I have had to go from 200 pounds to 165 finally! So now I am back training again for bouldering. I personally have found that climbing in the gym one day a week and using Metolius Rock Rings every other day have greatly improved my endurance.

Before cancer when I would climb I would burn my fore arms out in the first half an hour whereas on my latest adventure to HP40 the only thing that stopped me from climbing was the blood that was leaking out of my fingers after about 10 hours of intense climbing.

Has anyone else found Metolius Rock Rings to be of use in training? Let me know what you do to really get those muscles ready!
-tangboy

jeep914x4

Oct 12, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Re: Metolius Rock Rings for training... awesome! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have the rock rings but I do have a hangboard. It really improved my finger strength, especially on small holds.

I did hurt my finger on it and had to take a little over a month off but I still like it. I am just more careful now.

One thing is that my footwork still sucks! That's the only thing lacking with the rings or a hangboard. No footwork. Running and biking keeps my legs strong but I still need to concentrate on footwork which is easier when you are more confident with your hands.

Congrats on beating cancer! Climb on!

estwing

Oct 12, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some rock rings to. I use them 3 times in 6 days, then 2 days off. I like to do pullup pyramids, 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 =25 then 2 more drop sets for a total of 50. Then one day a week I do a few hangs on the bottom holds, both open hand and crimp (withought putting my thumb on top).

I think that I am getting stronger. You can vary this adding more reps with longer pauses, or less reps less rest.

krusher4

Oct 12, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have them and think their great. It can get a little boring though, I mix my workout up with a hang board and campus board, of course having the space gives you more options. Things to keep me entertained while training: Mad Libs and Old issues of Climbing & R&I. Sorry got off topic but Rock Rings are great, portable too. I was working this one route at a wall where the warm up routes are 11d and I would throw these in my pack and hang'em from a tree to warm up below the wall.

krusher4

Oct 12, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have them and think their great. It can get a little boring though, I mix my workout up with a hang board and campus board, of course having the space gives you more options. Things to keep me entertained while training: Mad Libs and Old issues of Climbing & R&I. Sorry got off topic but Rock Rings are great, portable too. I was working this one route at a wall where the warm up routes are 11d and I would throw these in my pack and hang'em from a tree to warm up below the wall.

krusher4

Oct 12, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

diophantus

Oct 12, 2006, 5:34 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use mine for offset pull ups and offset frenchies. I like them better than a pull up bar or hangboard for this because the rock rings don't seem to set off my tendinitis in my elbows.

themadmilkman

Oct 17, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I use mine for offset pull ups and offset frenchies. I like them better than a pull up bar or hangboard for this because the rock rings don't seem to set off my tendinitis in my elbows.

Try putting a chair in front of you and using one foot to pull your body further underneath the hangboard, so that you're not hanging completly vertical. I don't know if it will work for you, but it keeps me from straining my elbows.

punk_rocker333

Oct 17, 2006, 6:52 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend gave me a pair of these things and I'm going to start using them. I did the workout that estwing posted but I only did 25 in that sequence with a few hangs on varied holds and some jug pullups at the end. I usually don't train too hard but boulder hard at the gym followed with some pullups. Any suggestions for beginer workouts with these things or should I just jump right in?

pappy

Oct 19, 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had them but I didn't like them that much, but after hearing all post about how good they are I think i will get them again and give them another go.
-Evan

snowjunkie

Oct 19, 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a pair for a few years and had never really used them or liked them. Recently though I set them up figuring that doing pullups on them would be far better then on a bar as they are much more rock climbing specific. I have to admit I like them alot now. I think they're a great training tool and they seem to be helping my grip strength. I can certainly feel it in my forearms much more then when I would do pullups on a bar.

keinangst

Oct 19, 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They dropped the price to $29 recently (used to be $50, IIRC, but now they make them in China) so I bought a pair. Haven't done a full workout on them yet, but noticed a couple of things:

1. When brand new, they are really sticky and "resin-y", much more than I ever noticed with Metolius' climbing holds.

2. The jugs aren't really jugs, they're big slopers. When you hang from the top hold, they rotate pretty substantially in your hands. IMO, this is a design flaw that could be remedied by raising the cord's pivot/attachment point to above the jug, but that would probably make them much larger and possible more fragile. Another user reported this same thing in the gear reviews.

Other than that, I can't wait to start using them. I'm planning to integrate them into my normal back/bicep workout as pullup rings so I can work on contact strength at the same time.

estwing

Oct 22, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because the "jug" rotates, you can use it as a sloper if you don't curl your fingers around to the back. I have yet to meet someone who can hang the two slopes. Something to work up to.

alwaysclimbing07

Oct 22, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i won a pair in a comp, about a year ago, and i don't use them nearly as much as i could, but i think that their awesome, and as far as building arm and back strength i think that they are way better that a hangboard, because u have to control their movement, but as most others said, they can get pretty boring

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook