RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

abtisme

Nov 8, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

r2 jacket vs. monkey man
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im in the market for a new mid-weight jacket and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with either the patagonia r2 jacket or the mountain hardwear monkey man. the r2 seems like it might be a little light, but i like it because it seems like it would be easier to climb in on those chillier days. if anyone has any info/first hand experience with any of theses, id greatly appreciate it.

-aaron

chumbawumba

Nov 8, 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Re: r2 jacket vs. monkey man [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I picked up a monkey man jacket for $30 on sale at REI. The jacket is nice for $30 but the wind passes through it really easily so if its at all cold and windy you need something over it.

alexnees

Nov 8, 2006, 1:10 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

more or less what chumba said.....I've owned both, and definitely prefer the monkey man, but it's not at all windproof. Super warm, very bomber. But if it's windy, you need a windproof layer over top. The R2 stands up to wind a little better, but it's just not warm enough for me. Just doesn't provide the comfort factor as well as the monkey man. But I think windproof fleece is a pretty bogus idea anyway, so I'd go for the monkey man. It does what a fleece is supposed to do: be warm, breathable, not water-absorbent, and tough. The rest is just window dressing.

daniellebo

Nov 8, 2006, 2:55 AM
Post #4 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, well i seem to be going against the rest, but i love my R2. Its the perfect weight for me (i dont tend to get very cold when moving). It works great if there isnt too much wind, if there is a lot of wind, i switch to my shell anyway so its not an issue. I really like the fit, it doesnt get in the way, not bulky, and it works great with my patagonia softshell and my arcteryx hardshell but i have enough room to throw a lighterweight fleece mid layer under it for really cold stuff. I havent tried the monkey man, but like patagonia much more as a company. I have (among many other fleeces) a windproof marmot jacket that i never wear now because its too warm/bulky/doesnt breathe.
Hope that helps,
daniel
p.s. one thing that i am growing to realize being in Chile is that down here everyone doesnt have all these top brand choices, and they climb mountains just as well as everyone else does. In the end, whats the real difference between an R2, Monkey Man, and a $10 no name fleece (kindof scary to consider, given the price difference)

abtisme

Nov 8, 2006, 3:51 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the help you guys.

daniel, i know what you're saying. i guess us americans get used to paying for the extra luxuries when we can afford them. thinking about stuff like that really puts things into perspective sometimes. funny thing is, having said that, ill still probably spend the extra money because i'm used to it i guess.

i still don't know which way for sure i will go. i like the slim-fit/lightweight of the R2, but i feel like as an everday kind of thing id probably like the monkeyman more. thanks to everyone for your help.

-aaron

anykineclimb

Nov 8, 2006, 4:16 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
whats the real difference between an R2, Monkey Man, and a $10 no name fleece (kindof scary to consider, given the price difference)
theres a HUGE difference. I've worn crappy UG military issue fleece which were essentially TNF Denali Jacket knockoffs and they sucked! and those were the good ones.

Fit is probably the biggest factor. the cheap stuff just doesn't fit well. Yeah the materials may be mostly the same (although regulator is far different than "regular" fleece) its thing like fit and little details which make the more expensive jackets worth it

pjdf

Nov 8, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one of the old R2 technical pullovers (forget the name, but it has some stretch panels on the sleeves to assist movement) and I love it. It doesn't provide much in terms of wind protection, so if I'm in a place that wind is a concern, I make sure to have a shell, but it fits really well and as a result layers wonderfully. It's very warm and does a really nice job of keeping my neck warm with it's collar. I'd definitely pay a lot of attention to the fit of the two, since both companies are known for making good fleeces.

daniellebo

Nov 8, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"i still don't know which way for sure i will go. i like the slim-fit/lightweight of the R2, but i feel like as an everday kind of thing id probably like the monkeyman more. thanks to everyone for your help."

yea, as an every day thing i wouldnt get the R2. I love mine, but feel like i am going for the ski lodge pimp look if i wear it around town ( it is stylish in outdoor function sense, not in the street sense).

anykineclimb- I agree that fit is huge, i still buy incredibly expensive jackets all based on fit and function. HOWEVER, while a $10 fleece may not fit well, the basic function is the same (keeps you warm). I wasnt denying the need for technical equipment, rather pointing out an amusing (and depressing looking at my bank account) purchasing pattern we all develop being surrounded by great gear.

sounds like the Monkeyman is the way to go, hope it works out for you,
cheers, daniel

stabla

Nov 8, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Patagonia also has another fleece which I really like. I consider it a midweight-ish fleece. I just picked one up the other day and really like it, its called the retro-X cardigan I believe. It looks like the monkey but is windproof, and very warm. Hope this helps!

hyhuu

Nov 8, 2006, 8:12 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a bad point but considering this. All cars are made out of metal, plastic, ruber and glass and their basic function is to move from one point to another. But there are Yugos then there are Ferraris ... well you get the gist.

Hyhuu

In reply to:

anykineclimb- I agree that fit is huge, i still buy incredibly expensive jackets all based on fit and function. HOWEVER, while a $10 fleece may not fit well, the basic function is the same (keeps you warm). I wasnt denying the need for technical equipment, rather pointing out an amusing (and depressing looking at my bank account) purchasing pattern we all develop being surrounded by great gear.

cheers, daniel

hyhuu

Nov 8, 2006, 8:14 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a bad point but considering this. All cars are made out of metal, plastic, ruber and glass and their basic function is to move from one point to another. But there are Yugos then there are Ferraris ... well you get the gist.

Hyhuu

In reply to:

cheers, daniel

sidepull

Nov 8, 2006, 9:17 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

neither. spend the money on a nice soft shell and some capilene layers.

if you don't like that answer, then decide which is more important: fit or price. If price is more important then buy what is cheaper. If fit is more important then buy the jacket that fits. They're basically the same jacket, both are quality companies. In other words, I doubt you'll be thinking 3 years from now, "I really regret getting this monkey man, I should have gone with the R2." However, it is possible you'll be thinking, "I really haven't used my R2 much, I should have just bought a nicer soft shell and some capilene."

abtisme

Nov 8, 2006, 9:39 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funny you say that because i was looking at the patagonia super guide jacket and it looks pretty sweet. this is why i can never make decisions when it comes to outdoor gear. there's so much sweet stuff and so many different uses.

-aaron

sidepull

Nov 8, 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My take is that the market is designed to get you to buy more than you need and could ever possibly use. I think you need to analyze what you currently own and what holes that presents based upon the conditions that you often find yourself in. I prefer versatility and minimalism.

I mostly boulder and climb routes and then backpack occasionally, so my jacket system looks like this:

long sleeve capilene (good base layer and works in mild conditions wear i'm aerobic - imagine a january morning in Bishop)
soft shell (keeps the wind off and provides a bit more insulation if the capilene is too light - imagine a windy january morning in Bishop)
hard shell (if it's raining and cold I throw this on top of the above layers and maybe even the one below although it hasn't come to that)
Down jacket (when I'm belaying or spotting I love this - I don't bring this backpacking)

So really I only use three jackets and each can last 5-10 years.

In other words, if you don't have a nice soft shell, skip the R2 and use the money on something that will be used and abused a lot.

abtisme

Nov 8, 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good point(s).

i'd like to have the fleece for chillier calm days, but i live in boone, nc right now and i'm running into more windy/misty days. i think i might go the way of the soft shell. i really like the slim fit of the super guide. plus i own a good bit of capilene and it keeps me warm in fleece weather anyway. thanks a load for the advice.

-aaron

sidepull

Nov 8, 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no problem.

yep, the blue ridge can get pretty misty, but it's pretty pretty.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook