Forums: International: Euro Freaks:
life choices and climbing : after degree should i move to....?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

ghisino

Nov 14, 2006, 8:04 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2133 views)
Shortcut

life choices and climbing : after degree should i move to....?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello freaks...

so it seems that I like climbing so much that when I climb well and in a good place everything seems fine, and viceversa (when I'm fine with my life then I usually climb better)

it also seems that in roughly a year i'll get my degree in environmental/civil engineering.

and i feel like i need new challenges, new people...shortly a new place in a new country.

so after my degree i'd like to try to live at least a year in a place that meets the following :

-outside of italy

-top-quality climbing environment, both in the form of actual rock and climbing community. The best crag in the world would soon turn boring without good, stimulating but relaxed people to climb with, and heaps of the coolest climbing mates out there will be a little sad and bored without good crags nearby.

-Life should be possible. Reasonably cheap (expecially house rents and essential stuff) , decent job opportunities (best if within my range of studies), decent life schedules (a big metropolitan town where everyone is supposed to work 12 hrs a day and then lose 2 hrs driving from and to house would leave little time for climbing, and would provide poor quality social life...).
Easy "rules" will be a plus (eg I wouldn't like to need help from a professionist to be able to look after my taxes, various insurances, papers and such)

Suggestions? Myself I've been thinking of Gap, france and Sheffield, uk.
Keep in mind that I'm no climbing hero (no sponsors in the last 24 years), that I am reasonably talented for learning foreign languages and that I already speak english and some french.

clodfromitaly

Nov 14, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ghisino] life choices and climbing : after degree should i move to....? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to bruxelles. Paolo told me it's fantastic for a climber. A lot of mountaints. Sunny days. Fantastic rock. Many climbers. A big choice of climbing spotsLaughLaughLaugh

So. Whereever you wiil go remeber to invite me to meet you Wink

ghisino

Nov 14, 2006, 8:18 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clodfromitaly] life choices and climbing : after degree should i move to....? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go to bruxelles. Paolo told me it's fantastic for a climber. A lot of mountaints. Sunny days. Fantastic rock. Many climbers. A big choice of climbing spotsLaughLaughLaugh)

italian eurofreak jerkTongue

overlord

Nov 14, 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ghisino] life choices and climbing : after degree should i move to....? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spain, southernish france or frankejura, germany.

alvchen

Nov 14, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well....this is quite the coincidence. I recently got my degree in civil engineering and I've been living in Dublin, Ireland for the last 3 months or so.

Getting up and moving to a foreign country for an extended period of time, especially from the US is not exactly that easy. This mainly pertains to securing a work visa/permit. You can either try to find a job in europe before coming over and have the comapny arrange a visa for you, or do what I did and go through a company at www.bunac.org Since you'd be a recent graduate, they can arrange to get you a temporary work permit (4 months for Ireland or 6 months in the UK) for a small fee. What you can do is move over for 6 months on that permit and if you establish yourself well in a company, they'd be more likely to try to extend your work visa. If you'd like more info, feel free to PM me.

ghisino

Nov 15, 2006, 8:30 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alvchen] life choices and climbing : after degree should i move to....? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well....this is quite the coincidence. I recently got my degree in civil engineering and I've been living in Dublin, Ireland for the last 3 months or so.

Getting up and moving to a foreign country for an extended period of time, especially from the US is not exactly that easy. This mainly pertains to securing a work visa/permit. You can either try to find a job in europe before coming over and have the comapny arrange a visa for you, or do what I did and go through a company at www.bunac.org Since you'd be a recent graduate, they can arrange to get you a temporary work permit (4 months for Ireland or 6 months in the UK) for a small fee. What you can do is move over for 6 months on that permit and if you establish yourself well in a company, they'd be more likely to try to extend your work visa. If you'd like more info, feel free to PM me.

thanks, but since I am already european I don't have any visa problem as long as I move within europe.

I would have it the other way round, if I wanted to move to Canada or the US!!!

paolo75

Nov 15, 2006, 8:43 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well...besides Clod's jerkness (Wink) Bxl is not as bad as you all might think...from here it's easy and really cheap to travel everywhere in Europe. When I was living in Italy it was always out of the question to move for more than 200K...so I was always climbing in the same area...
Around here you also have Fontainbleau, the German area of Pfaltz, the French Alsace and Freyr a to quality crag.

But, if I where you, I'd rather move somewhere where the weather is more "friendly", Grenoble for example, Murcia or Barcellona in Spain.
I wouldn't move to Sheffield...even though they have a huge climbing area and a massive community...the weather is not that good usually...

ghisino

Nov 15, 2006, 9:52 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paolo75] life choices and climbing : after degree should i move to....? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
well...besides Clod's jerkness (Wink) Bxl is not as bad as you all might think...from here it's easy and really cheap to travel everywhere in Europe.

ah if I was to consider this I'd move to the netherlands...CoolLaughAngelic

paolo75

Nov 15, 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

of course! Wink

Partner heiko

Nov 17, 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One basic question: sport or alpine???

If you climb sport: Nürnberg/Germany could be an option. Pretty place, Frankenjura is very close. I assume you're Italian...: it will take all the talent you can provide to learn our language :( I don't know where in Italy you're from, but compared to Trentino Nürnberg and generally most of souther Germany (except Munich maybe) is ridiculously cheap: salaries are higher, and rents are lower.

Otherwise:
Switzerland? Good climbing wherever you look, neat cities, good salary. If you feel like improving your French instead of learning German, they speak that language in Chamonix ;)

The UK? Don't go there if you really wanna climb a lot. It's wet. Dunno if someone from a sunny country can really be happy there.

Honestly... much of your description depicts the cozy, friendly, open-minded and easy-going place with great climbing, good salaries and low rents that we're all looking for. If you found it, let us know.

From my opinion tho: don't underestimate language barriers. We can exchange PMs about that if you like.

Best,
Heiko

ghisino

Nov 19, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [heiko] life choices and climbing : after degree should i move to....? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks heiko.
Sport or alpine?
Sort and sport-alpine. For me being able to climb a lot in places like raetikon or verdon or ceuse would be roughly the same...different, but all top-places of their kind.

I will think about language...

_xav_

Dec 15, 2006, 8:04 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aubagne (France-Provence) has good community (there I rockclimbed for the first time) and is close to many rocks (calanques, mont st. victoire,...) and is 2 or 3 hours driving from the Alps.

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook