Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fishman

Nov 13, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #26 of 28 (982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drfelatio] first sport rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so there is tons of debate on what draws to get. when i first got into sport, as a college student i was hella broke but i still wanted to lead. as a result all i worried about was price for my draws. i got the omega pacific dirt bag draws. i didnt do any homework about them, if i had i would have found out that nobody likes them because they are hard to clip. well i had trouble clipping them but i figured it was because i sucked at clipping because i was new. about a year later i was proficient at clipping them and can now clip any biener really easily while my friend who bought wire gates for his first draws cannot clip anything unless it is a wiregate. i guess it really all depends on what you are used to.

SoloJoe

Nov 29, 2006, 5:10 PM
Post #27 of 28 (923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sick_climba] first sport rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On a long route, a grigri is really nice! Practice in a gym for awhile with the grigri. With practice you can operate the grigri smoothly.
Be sure to practice first - the grigri can be a pain in the but for a leader trying to clip if the belayer is not well seasoned with the grigri. Good Luck!

feanor007

Nov 29, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #28 of 28 (918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] first sport rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "climbsomething"][quote]man... you don't want to lead belay with a griri... well you might but idk didn't work well for me, very... unsmooth. [/quote]
Or you might just want to learn how to use a GriGri?[/quote]

agreed, learn on an atc, but for sport climbing gri-gri's rock, use it right and it's buttery smooth.

if i was getting everything at once i'd get:

-10 mid length petzl spirit draw
-4 longer petzl draws
-2 dedicated top rope draw, probally the long, red Enduros to avoid confusion, i like dedicated tr draws b/c i burn through the rope side carabiners on those in about a year and i like all the wear on on set of biners I can replace easily.
-an Atc (not xp) and a gri-gri, both on the big petzl william biners
-up till this month i'd have said two dynemma slings to girth hitch to the harnass for cleaning anchors, but neither girth hitching to just the belay loop or girth-hitching dynemma seems as awsome as it did in oh, say august.

this is assuming all your doing is sport climbing and all the routes will end in fairly bomber 2 bolt anchors

i wish i'd coughed up the jack and bought all petzl draws when i started. added benifit of them, the thick dogbones make way better "oh s*** hand holds than skinny dynemma. [blush]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook