RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

RoadTripAndy

Nov 30, 2006, 3:19 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1498 views)
Shortcut

+-15 month trip - starting in canada perhaps
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I am starting to plan a climbing trip to start 1 July '07
lasting about a year but perhaps more.
As it will be summer in the northern hemisphere I thought Canada would be the ideal place to start. So far I am interested in Squamish and Niagra falls area. I would like to boulder, do sport routes and perhaps some trad. I have been climbing for about 12 years and will get on anything up to about 13a. I have never been on a trip longer than about 2 weeks and always with friends, so this will be a new experience for me. At the moment I have no travel partner/s but as its still a while off I may find some interesed people.

For now I would really like to get info about climbing in Canada and how to go about it. Also it would be great to make contact with any people keen to climb in July next year, from then on, or any other time. Some question I have are:

- where do full time climbers hang out in Canada
- where to avoid or not avoid if I dont have a car
- is getting a car a realistic option
- is hiring a car a realistic option(perhaps long term car hire is cheap??)
- free camping in Canada?
- is traveling and climbing alone in Canada a good idea or not?

Basically if I start my travels alone and just go to Squamish or Niagra area will I have a hard time getting around and finding people to climb with. Will it be cheap or expensive.

Also is climbing in Canada during July, August, September a good idea - weather wise?

I plan to move south after this, perhaps visiting areas like Horse Pens 40, Joshua Tree, Bishop, Yosemite, Rifle, Red Rocks, Red/New river gorge, Ibex, Joe's Valley, Little Cottonwood Canyon...probably won't get to all these places but you never know.... then making my way down to Hueco eventually by December...

Then perhaps Thailand, Oz, South Africa etc...
I plan not to book any flights or round-the-world ticket as I would just like to just go with the flow.

I look forward to hearing any views or meeting any interested climbers
thanks
Andy

kman

Nov 30, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RoadTripAndy] +-15 month trip - starting in canada perhaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure you don't miss the Banff and Canmore area in the Rockies. There is lots of pretty kick ass climbing here. Not to mention the area has towering mountains which are absolutely beautiful.

In reply to:
- where do full time climbers hang out in Canada

Squamish and Canmore / Banff.

RoadTripAndy

Dec 1, 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kman] +-15 month trip - starting in canada perhaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tip... What about weather or finding other people to climb with... some places are fine if you travel alone but others aren't. Would I need a car..

thanks, Andy

(This post was edited by RoadTripAndy on Dec 1, 2006, 10:26 AM)

kman

Dec 1, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weather is not really a problem in the summer in either Squamish or Canmore. If your doing the big peaks you need to watch out for the afternoon thunderstorms in the rockies. Partners are easy to find. A car is definately useful although not 100% neccessary. Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise are all connected by Brewster bus lines. Greyhound runs from Vancouver to here aswell for transportation from Squamish.

You can also continue from here by bus to get out east, although flying is a much better option for that.

slavetogravity

Dec 2, 2006, 1:00 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're interested in getting off the beaten path, and are looking for something a little more adventurous, consider going to the Bugaboos or Valhallas in the Purcell Mountains of BC. Personally, for the summer months, I wouldn't bother leaving Western Canada. When the weather gets colder, go down south. But in the meantime stay in the Squamish area.

If you're looking for a partner, I'd be interested in climbing in the Bugaboos or Valhallas with ya'.

I know the areas well, and I can confidently lead 5.10 trad.

RSVP.

PS. All the full time climbers hang out in Squamish. You don't need a car to climb there.

Partner macherry

Dec 3, 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] +-15 month trip - starting in canada perhaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slavetogravity wrote:
If you're interested in getting off the beaten path, and are looking for something a little more adventurous, consider going to the Bugaboos or Valhallas in the Purcell Mountains of BC. Personally, for the summer months, I wouldn't bother leaving Western Canada. When the weather gets colder, go down south. But in the meantime stay in the Squamish area.

If you're looking for a partner, I'd be interested in climbing in the Bugaboos or Valhallas with ya'.

I know the areas well, and I can confidently lead 5.10 trad.

RSVP.

PS. All the full time climbers hang out in Squamish. You don't need a car to climb there.

aaron, i'd be interested in giving the bugs another try next year!!!!

RoadTripAndy

Dec 4, 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] +-15 month trip - starting in canada perhaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info...I will look into the areas you mention...Will hang on to your details too so we can perhaps hook up

androids

Dec 7, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the niagara glen and niagara escarpement is crap.
you can climb the same shitty rock here in canmore except 18pitches longer. buy a car when you get here. better yet buy a van when you get to squamish theres always someone selling a travel van.Wink

if youre driving across canada from toronto thers good climbing in northern ontario around lake superior (thunder bay).
go to the bugaboos! screw the rest.

RoadTripAndy

Dec 7, 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1396 views)
Shortcut

Re: [androids] +-15 month trip - starting in canada perhaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cheers dude....straight to the point!!

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook