Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Videos Feature - Response to "New Site Feedackb, Issues and Plan Forward" Announcement
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

stymingersfink

Dec 5, 2006, 1:36 AM
Post #1 of 3 (435 views)
Shortcut

Videos Feature - Response to "New Site Feedackb, Issues and Plan Forward" Announcement
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Inline forum images � We are looking at alternatives and investigating options to bring this back. Unfortunately it is not as simple as "turning it back on". The main issues are the display/branding concerns we have, and the performance and bandwidth issue. Bandwidth in particular is a huge problem for us. Things like photos and videos require lots of it and we're currently hovering close to our limits. To get more requires more money. Nevertheless, we're actively engaged with Gossamer Threads (our technology partner) to find a solution for this, and we'll also get your thoughts on this.
here's a suggestion that might offset the bandwidth consumed by embedded images:

DROP THE "VIDEOS" FEATURE ALLTOGETHER This site has survived this long without hosting video, it will probably survive longer if it leaves the video hosting to sites like "youtube". It's not like someone who wishes to share video can't upload it to one of a myriad of video-hosting sites and then post a link to the forum. Let the other sites do what they do well, keep this site focused on doing what it (used to) do(es) well.

Now, I'm not opposed to introducing some "new" functionality, but before one tries to do this they should make DAMN sure that they are not neglecting the functionality the ones who make this site a "business" are familiar with. Especially features, which judging by the outcry generated so far, are the ones the users identify this site by.

As Dingus pointed out in another thread somewhere...
Dingus Milquetoast wrote:
whatsamatta, never heard of Usenet? **
**not word for word, but the gist of it.

If the users of this site wanted to use Usenet, I believe they would be there right now, rather than here where they (used to) feel quite at home.

~Sty

edit: The thread title was edited by fenix83 to reflect the split thread.

(This post was edited by fenix83 on Dec 5, 2006, 3:52 PM)

jakedatc

Dec 5, 2006, 1:47 AM
Post #2 of 3 (426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Response to "New Site Feedback, Issues and Plan Forward" Announcement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
DROP THE "VIDEOS" FEATURE ALLTOGETHER

i agree 100%.. if that thing is holding up a lot of the other things that people want more. then drop it. there are what.. 30 videos? and we're having bandwidth problems already?? what are you going to do when people actually start actually using the feature? hell make a Videos Forum right next to the Photo forum and have that a place where people can post them up. Most of them are bouldering videos and we already have sites that are dedicated to that with the Bouldering.com, No Rope, Urbanclimbermag that are MUCH better video sites than what you have going on here.

I do not see the videos section ever attracting more paying members.. not at all (this was mentioned as part of what might become part of a pay membership)

Partner coldclimb

Dec 5, 2006, 7:23 AM
Post #3 of 3 (403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Response to "New Site Feedback, Issues and Plan Forward" Announcement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to mention videos too. If the excuse for removing pictures is "ugly" and "bandwidth" and then you add videos, that seems more than mildly contradictory. One video will use up more bandwidth than a TR with a few pictures.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook