RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mdlb21

Dec 18, 2006, 9:46 PM
Post #1 of 5 (685 views)
Shortcut

Koa Toa Thailand Bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey just wanted to find out if anyone on here has been bouldering on Ko Toa. I will be there for a week and want to know if it is worth taking a pair of shoes and chalk (I am sure it is), but I dont know if there will be any place to rent a pad or get any beta for the area. Thanks in advance for any info.

(This post was edited by mdlb21 on Dec 18, 2006, 10:19 PM)

butterboy

Dec 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #2 of 5 (676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mdlb21] Ko Toa Thialand Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Koa Toa is well worth the visit, as it is a under utilized world class bouldering destination. I spent a year there and there is a lifetime worth of bouldering on sharp giant granite boulders. Two of the easiest areas to get to are the front yard and the back yard. To get to these areas you can walk or take a motor cycle straight up the main street, take a left and walk for about 500 feet until you see a store on your left (convenient store type place) turn left, walk up the road and you will begin to see many boulders. Also James March the local guide has his rock climbing school right in between these two fields. The school is called Zen Ghecko and you can rent pads from him, get local beta and he has guide books for a decent price. His web site is http://www.zengecko.com/school.htm. James will tell you everything else you need to know and show you many of the other bouldering areas in the forests and on the beach. Some must do's are Jessica, Cave Painting, The Middle Way, Chock Dee, Total eclipes of the Moon, M-150 is the best problem on the Island, but unless you are a mutant it will take more time than you have. The most beautiful area is Ao Jan Som, with ocean side gems, Haad Sai Ree North is also a jem. You can't go wrong. A nice place to stay is Ao Leuk which is a bit of a distance from the boulders but cheap, bungalows on the beach and good food. James or others can give you other suggestions. Any other questions just ask. Cheers J

butterboy

Dec 18, 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #3 of 5 (675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [butterboy] Ko Toa Thialand Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I messed up the directions, upon review take a right, not a left at the end of the main street. Cheers J

jp_sucks

Dec 18, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #4 of 5 (663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [butterboy] Ko Toa Thialand Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second everything butterboy said. I've spent some time there and the bouldering is amazing. Worth it to rent a bike (very cheap) and explore other areas around the island. James is very helpful and easy to find.

reagan14

Dec 19, 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #5 of 5 (647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Ko Toa Thialand Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not sure if the guys that are posting have not been there in a while...I was there in October and not only has Zengecko (the local bouldering guide) left and moved back to the USA, but a 5 star resort has been built in ao jam (spelling?) the main bouldering area, but they arent wild about guys climbing around on the boulders in the bay. That being said I did just that, pushed my luck a bit and was able to climb for a while. The bouldering was Ok, i certainly wouldnt be going there as a climbing destination, but bring your shoes if your going! The setting couldnt be better!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook