RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

blondeflag1970

Jan 6, 2007, 6:33 AM
Post #1 of 3 (496 views)
Shortcut

Slovenia climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello Im Keith from Flagstaff,Az,USA and am curious about the great climbing I've heard about in Slovenia. Osp? What is the best season,camping,partners,transportation,food,culture,etc....Any info greatly appreciated! Thanks keithSmile

overlord

Jan 6, 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #2 of 3 (492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondeflag1970] Slovenia climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

best season for Osp, Misja Pec and Crni Kal is spring and autumn (if its dry). summer is climbable, but usually really hot. there is a 'climbers' camp in the village Osp. Transport shouldnt be a big problem as there is a bus station near Crni kal, but the walk to Osp is a bit long. but if youre there during a spring weekend, you should have no trouble with hitching a ride with some climbers going there. once in osp, the approach to the first wall from the camp is about 5min, the big wall is about 15min, Misja pec takes a bit longer.

but if youre planning a summer trip, i suggest picking some other area. check out kotecnik for serious climbing. there are some really good crags in the gorenjska region, especially in and around Bohinj and in the Soca valley.

for partners... we could hook up if my time allows.

ill write some additional info when i get home.

(This post was edited by overlord on Jan 6, 2007, 6:09 PM)

overlord

Jan 6, 2007, 6:18 PM
Post #3 of 3 (487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondeflag1970] Slovenia climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as for food.. if you go to osp you must try prsut. air-dried ham. they also have a local red wine teran that really puts the finishing touches on it. plus some cheese and olives and youre set.

another thing to try, but kindof hard to find nowadays is jota. basicly a sourkraut soup with some improovements. then theres 'prekomurska gibanica', a cake thingy, in bohinj you must try 'bohinjski zganci' (kindof hard to explain what it is, but its traditional mountain food when coupled with sourkraut and soured milk/youghurt), 'kranjska klobasa' is a typical slovenian sausage (its actually a protected trademark)...

as for culture/sightseeing, if you go to osp you really should visit the cave at Postojna and Piran, an old coastal town. then theres the soca river valley, where some serious battles took place during WW1 (and, a bit funny, a slovenian poet actually predicted the war in a poem he wrote about the river), then theres litelary tons of stuff to see either in the countryside or in the cities.

anyway, if you give me some more pointers, i can definitely help you much better than if i just write some general pointers. while this is a small country, it has quite a lot to see/do.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook