RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

sonyhome

Jan 9, 2007, 7:51 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1142 views)
Shortcut

2/8/07: Anza-Borrego state park declassification to put power lines
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I came across this in another photography related forum, and I think it could interrest people in wilderness protection of the climbing community, especially people close by interrested in attending the meeting.

In reply to:
Take Action Immediately To Protect Anza-Borrego Desert State Park From Being De-Designated Wilderness

jim posted in Updates & Announcements, Links & Articles, Locations, California, News & Current Events on January 6th, 2007
This went completely under the radar as of late. Federal pressure has the California State Parks and Recreation Commission re-evaluating the wilderness status give to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. To virtually quote Diana Lindsay, the President of the Anza-Borrego Foundation and Institute, this would be the first time in American history that either state or federal wilderness has been de-designated in order to allow development. As you might predict the industry pushing for this change is the energy industry specifically San Diego Gas & Electric Company (SDG&E) who wants to erect 150 miles of transmission line straight through this protected area. If the government is successful in repealing protected status of lands deisgnated as wilderness a dangerous precedent will be set putting all protected land in jeopardy.

Sadly the perception is that this may be a done deal, but with your participation it can be stopped.

The California State Parks and Recreation Commission will be holding
its ONLY southern California hearing on the proposed powerline route on 2/8/07 at 7:30 PM at the Borrego Springs Resort.

http://www.jmg-galleries.com/...esignated-wilderness

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook