Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Power_Tie

Jan 17, 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #1 of 26 (1550 views)
Shortcut

How much for all the gear?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a new climber, but I am totally hooked. I can't wait to get out and climb hard core in the summertime.

I got a pair of La Sportiva brand shoes, and a wild country brand harness. How much is it going to cost to get all the climbing equipment I need to climb outside when the weather is better?

I am thinking I will probably need a couple extra harnesses and pairs of shoes so that I can take someone with me.

Thank you.

devils_advocate

Jan 17, 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #2 of 26 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Power_Tie] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Before someone else says it... it depends(tm)

...on what type of climbing you're going to be doing. Based on your question, or lack thereof, worry not so much in obtaining the equipment, but finding someone to show you the ropes (bad pun intended).

Power_Tie

Jan 17, 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #3 of 26 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be rock climbing of course!

I will get someone at REI to 'show me the ropes' with regards to the gear.

thank you.

cicali

Jan 17, 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #4 of 26 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah he will be rock climbing stupid! Laugh

seditionarypunk

Jan 17, 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #5 of 26 (1511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cicali] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

... trrrooollll !

And if it isn't it sounds like you should first get a good climbing partner that has experience, knowledge, and your trust then allow them to "show you the ropes." so to speak.

reno

Jan 17, 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #6 of 26 (1508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Power_Tie wrote:

T -4.

What TYPE of rock? Single pitch or multipitch? Bolted sport routes or gear placement trad routes? Granite or sandstone? Summer or winter? Slab or overhang?

devils_advocate

Jan 17, 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #7 of 26 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cicali] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cicali wrote:
yeah he will be rock climbing stupid! Laugh

Duh, it was so obvious... Rock climbing. How did I miss that?

Yeah I agree, troll. And in the unlikely event that it isn't, an introduction:

Power_Tie, this is Majid, he'll be doing your writeup.

Power_Tie

Jan 17, 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #8 of 26 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Power_Tie wrote:

T -4.

What TYPE of rock? Single pitch or multipitch? Bolted sport routes or gear placement trad routes? Granite or sandstone? Summer or winter? Slab or overhang?

Well, someone has to hold the rope and belay me while I climb, so it will be multipitch.

I do not know the difference between sport and trad routes(I do not even know what these terms mean!), but I will pick up a book at REI this weekend and bone up on my climbing knowledge and lingo.

I live in San Francisco, so I will be climbing on Yosemite rock, which is granite. I see you live in Reno? Is the rock up there also granite?

And I will be climbing in summer, when it is warm enough. Although I am not sure how that affects the gear, other than clothing.

Thanks to all for your suggestions so far. You have raised many questions I did not consider, and I'll look into them before I purchase the equipment.

dynoho

Jan 17, 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #9 of 26 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry Reno. He is being taken care of at REI. Majid will have a report by......

Odds are 2:1 August. Paypal accepted, cash preferred.

dharmatreez

Jan 17, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #10 of 26 (1483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

non-climbers will say too much money, and most climbers will say there is always something to buy

no matter if you attempt to enter a specific discipline of climbing or take an all encompassing approach, you will not only start to feel you could always use something else, but stuff will, certainly soft goods, wear out on a regular basis and need replaced (ie. harnesses, slings, ropes, cordage, etc.)

a rope - 125 to 250 bones
TR anchor gear (cordage, webbing, lockers) - 100 bones
set of draws for sport - 50 to 150 bones
TRAD rack - take out a loan or start selling "stuff" to high school kids
*all estimated of course

so short of a trad rack, you'll be looking at around 300 to 500, depending on the rope you want to get and how "nice-looking" you want your draws

avoid REI, stands for Return Every Item, and if you go to a REI store you could get some wanka that has a 200 dollar soft shell he wears to the pub and asks why your hands are scabby

check out gear express for package deals, cosmetic seconds of hardwear, and short rope remnants (if you can get away with that at your local crags) great prices, QUICK service, and good guys that run it

i've never had a problem

http://www.gearexpress.com/

as for buying some extra gear for your tag-a-longs

a great harness is the Bluewater Voyager, cheap (around 30 bones), fully adjustable for everyone from a tiny goddess to your beer belly buddy

grab a cheap extra chalk bag or two (around 20 bones shoud do it) - avoid the brand names with big logos and suddenly they are reasonably priced for all they are and what they do

as for shoes, that has always perplexed me, with wanting a great fit, it will be hard to have just an extra pair or two to help out your friends, what if they don't like it after a try or two. plus good luck finding a cheap pair of rock shoes that you can buy and forget about, you are probably looking around 60 to 70 bones for a pair of Mad Rocks (seen on alot of beginners these days)

any ideas anyone?

i had a thought awhile back about seeing if a gym that rents were going to get rid of any and try to snag/purchase them, but there is no gyms in my area, plus the shoes could be pretty funky (but hey they are for your friends and not you)

good luck and have fun

happy trails and safe climbing

jason

reno

Jan 17, 2007, 1:14 AM
Post #11 of 26 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynoho] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynoho wrote:
Don't worry Reno. He is being taken care of at REI.

Ah, missed that part.

Five will get ya ten he'll show up at the crag with a brown paper bag, full of cams with tags still on, and a rope with that plastic wrap thingy.

markc

Jan 17, 2007, 1:24 AM
Post #12 of 26 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In case this is serious, go look at Steven Cherry's phases of buying gear on Tradgirl. You can start acquiring the gear needed to climb in the gym or tag along with experienced climbers (harness, shoes, a couple locking carabiners, a belay device, chalk, and chalk bag). Then start picking up the gear necessary for going out by yourself (most likely toproping or sport climbing). That means a rope, the gear necessary for building anchors in your area, and a good amount of quickdraws. After you've been climbing a little while, you'll see where your interests take you.

vegastradguy

Jan 17, 2007, 3:45 PM
Post #13 of 26 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Power_Tie wrote:
Well, someone has to hold the rope and belay me while I climb, so it will be multipitch.

get back to us on this one when you've read up on what different terms mean.

granite_grrl

Jan 17, 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #14 of 26 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Re: How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't understand the gear the you have to buy, then you shouldn't be buying it.

shanz

Jan 17, 2007, 4:09 PM
Post #15 of 26 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hrm i really cant tell anymore what is a troll and what is just another noob posting. there are so many similar posts. Must be because i spend most the day at work on here HRM

ill give it a T-3

(This post was edited by shanz on Jan 17, 2007, 4:10 PM)

skinnyclimber

Jan 17, 2007, 4:56 PM
Post #16 of 26 (1307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Power_Tie wrote:

I do not know the difference between sport and trad routes(I do not even know what these terms mean!), but I will pick up a book at REI this weekend and bone up on my climbing knowledge and lingo.

Dude get a copy of Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills and read all the chapters up through "leading on rock". I'm sure that at this point the ice and snow stuff won't be of much use to you (but is certainly good reading). Once you've read that and checked out a guide book for what type of climbing is near you, you'll know approxamately what gear to buy. Then check out internet sites to find good deals.

mgear.com
moosejaw.com
many many others

the approximate prices our friend gave you above are as close of an approximation as you'll need.

PS: sure it's probably a troll, but hey maybe, just maybe by answering 700000000 trolls we'll manage to dispense useful info to one honest to god NOOB.

bill413

Jan 17, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #17 of 26 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinnyclimber] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinnyclimber wrote:
PS: sure it's probably a troll, but hey maybe, just maybe by answering 700000000 trolls we'll manage to dispense useful info to one honest to god NOOB.
Subtle?

markc

Jan 17, 2007, 7:57 PM
Post #18 of 26 (1193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinnyclimber] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinnyclimber wrote:

I operate under the assumption that for every one person willing to ask a question there are three more wondering the same thing. (I know I've been the one to ask the question and the guy trying to figure it out on my own.) If a troll is throwing in tasty enough chum, I guess I don't mind getting caught.

Power_Tie

Jan 17, 2007, 8:35 PM
Post #19 of 26 (1158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you to all who posted! Yes, even those that called me a 'troll.' Climbing may be an exciting new activity to me, but I am no stranger to the internet!

While I didn't get the answer I was looking for here, I do appreciate all your comments and suggestions. I should be at REI this weekend, I'll do some investigation there and see what I need.

I am looking forward to the warmer weather, as the Tahoe ski season has been a bust so far. I am getting quite strong from climbing at the gym though, I can regularly make it up some of the 5.11a routes with only a couple hangs!

johnathon78

Jan 17, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #20 of 26 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He said "I can make it up 11a with only a couple of rests". Hate to break it to ya, but , if you rest....you aint made it up it.

shockabuku

Jan 17, 2007, 8:48 PM
Post #21 of 26 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot.

If you have a significant other - probably more than they think is reasonable.

If you ski, you know you always end up spending more. Things wear out, new things come around and this stuff isn't cheap.

You can probably get by for toproping on a few hundred bucks (rope, shoes, harness, webbing/slings, biners, belay device, chalk).

Bouldering may be a little cheaper but a crash pad costs. I think the hats are pretty expensive too.

Sport climbing, add a hundred or two for draws.

Trad climbing, add at least a couple hundred more to get started and maybe a couple of thousand to achieve a satisfactory inventory.

mattm

Jan 17, 2007, 8:50 PM
Post #22 of 26 (1137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnathon78] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Forget Freedom of the Hills - Get John Longs How to Rock Climb 4th ed. Memorize it cover to cover. Then buy Climbing Anchors 2nd Ed - Read it cover to cover. If you fully understand what it says in there you can start thinking about buying all the gear. If the books is hard to grasp - find someone who KNOWS what they're doing to show you. If you still don't understand or are just repeating what you're shown move on to another sport or stay in side. If you get it you'll need

TR Setup - 100
Sport climbing - 300
trad rack - 1000+
aid - mortgage

hummm

Jan 17, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #23 of 26 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattm] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would get these two books. Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills or Climbing: From Gym to Crag of the Mountaineers Outdoor Expert series. They do a good job explaining all the different type of climbing there is out there, and will show what you need. You will be surprise climbing is not just climbing.

I think you should worry less about how much you are going to spend, but getting a good experienced partner to show you the rope. Mostly like they will have the gear to share with you. You don't want a short lived climbing career. Outdoor is not like the indoor, sorry to say that, often people who only climb in the gym has no idea about how to climb outside, that often resulted in injuries. Yeah.... resting even once on 11a doesn't mean you are pulling 11a.

You can always spend money, and more money, but it will run you about $500 if you are planning on taking some friends out for TR when you got some experiences under your belt.

(This post was edited by hummm on Jan 17, 2007, 10:43 PM)

devils_advocate

Jan 17, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #24 of 26 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hummm] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Books? Trolls can't read.

coastal_climber

Jan 17, 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #25 of 26 (1045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] How much for all the gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't know what to get, you shouldn't be climbing outside. Period. We can't stop you though, so make sure you go with someone that knows what they are doing. Or take a course with a certified guide.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook