RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

toddm

Jan 19, 2007, 8:03 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1021 views)
Shortcut

Boot Recommendations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a boot that would be another step up from a stiff hiking boot that I can use on mixed routes, mostly just mountaineering, something I can strap crampons on, not serious vertical ice.

So I've been looking at boots like the La sportiva nepal, trango ice, vasque super alpinista etc.

My real question is for years I've had problems with boot fit and blisters. I've tried hiking boots ranging from 9.5-11, wide boots narrow boots etc. and still the problems persist. Generally I get heel blisters and on the upper outsides of my little toes. I do break them in and work into them slowly in the season but even then on long hikes I get heel blisters. I'm starting to contemplate custom made hiking boots but the $1000 price tag is hard to swallow, though I've probably spent that and more trying out various boots that felt good in the store and didn't work out hiking. That or wearing a cross shoe on as much of my trails as possible and packing in boots to switch to.

My other issue is I live in a place where if I want to try on anything other than a light to mid hiking boot it's a 600+ mile drive to an REI etc. and further to a real mountaineering store. Neither of which seem to have anyone that is really and expert with fitting boots at least when I've been there.

However I am planning a trip to the 4 corners area this year and was wondering if people could recommend good shops in the UT/CO/WY/NV area that are proficient with boot fit I could try and work into my trip.

Thanks much

Todd

krusher4

Jan 19, 2007, 8:45 PM
Post #2 of 9 (996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toddm] Boot Recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mad Rock makes a pretty good looking low price Mountain Boot.

alpine_chris

Jan 19, 2007, 8:50 PM
Post #3 of 9 (996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Todd

Is it really not possible to get custom made boots in the US for way less than 1000 $? Some friends of mine with similar problems let made mountaineering boots, specifically designed for their feet profile, for approx. 500 $. A specialized shoemaker in Switzerland did that for them. Spend the price difference for a flight to Europe, get your shoes made and enjoy some world class mountaineering and climbing.

toddm

Jan 19, 2007, 9:27 PM
Post #4 of 9 (979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpine_chris] Boot Recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well maybe someone can recommend something cheaper in the US, but the two places I located were between $1200-$1500 for a set of hiking boots. Evidentially they used to be around $600 but demand has caused them to pretty much double their prices.

They get amazing reviews but I was surprised looking at their web sites they don't actually require a mold of the feet and don't allow you to go to their shop to have them do the actual fitting. You are required to stumble through getting the measurements etc. yourself with a tracing of your foot. Everyone who has a pair seems to love them so their fitting process would seem to work. For $1500 I guess I expected more custom treatment.

Also that's just for a hiking boot, not a crampon ready mountaineering boot either.

(This post was edited by toddm on Jan 19, 2007, 9:28 PM)

reese_7

Jan 19, 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #5 of 9 (942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a Lowa boot this year for Ice climbing. It was my first time Ice climbing and the boot worked really well. I did a fair amount of hiking and my feet never got sore or wet. I have wide toes and a narrow heel. The heel was a bit loose but nothing that different in-soles couldn't fix. They were in expensive compared to the other three boots I tried.

Here is a link to the boots: http://www.rei.com/...&vcat=REI_SEARCH
Reese

andypro

Jan 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #6 of 9 (936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may not need custom boots, but you do need to see a custom boot fitter! There is alot that can be done with a pair of "stock" boots. It will probably cost extra, but shouldn't cost anywhere near 1200-1500 bucks. Ask at ski shops and places of the like. You may just need footbeds and some heel padding, but an experienced and professional fitter would be able to tell you what it is you need.

--Andy P

go_dyno

Jan 20, 2007, 7:09 AM
Post #7 of 9 (890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] Boot Recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The custom boot fitter is a great idea or going to the nearest LARGE city and getting some opinions from a certified podiatrist that specializes in dealing with shoe/boot inserts.

For info on this forum I would first suggest you describe your feet in detail so someone else with feet just like yours can say," hey his feet are like mine" and tell you which boot and inserts he uses. For example:

My feet are size 11US or 45 Euro. They are normal D width up front but have very narrow heels and high arches. Then I have what are called "low volume" feet. They are D width up front but boney/sinewey with no meat on them to fill up the front portion of a boot.

I wore Vasques for years because of their quality and long story short I went to the Dr. after a couple of years in denial of my oncoming diabetes. He tested me and said," you don't have diabetes" I then pulled off my boots and showed him my big toes that had swollen broken festering skin on them that would come and go. He almost laughed after inspecting them. He said I had extremely thickened skin/callouses caused from rubbing. The thickened skin didnot flex well and would break. The toe box in all my Vasque boots was so large volume for my feet that the leather would buckle across the boot when I walked and smush/rub my big toes and the next toe over! Shit I really thought I had drank myself into a diabeticPirate And it was poorly fitting boots! I found La Sportiva and my feet have never been happier! I picked up my new Nepal Extreme Evos today and am fitting my crampons to them as we speak!

mankypin

Jan 21, 2007, 7:21 AM
Post #8 of 9 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've probably scoped out the Scarpa Alphas and Omegas. They have the thermofit liner which gets heated and molded to your foot. While they're billed as steep ice and mixed boots (which they are), they are also super light, toasty and are sticky enough to mountaineer around in. Factor in the ability to tweak the liner with insoles and other tricks and these may be the solution to your problem. Total damage, less than 450 US.

angusmacginny

Jan 21, 2007, 9:07 PM
Post #9 of 9 (829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a ton of problems with boot fit also. Basically just try on a lot of boots until you find one that fits. REI has a shitty selection of boots so dont waste you time there. I suggest you go on line and order a bunch of different boots from places with good return policies. Try zappos.com free shipping both ways. return the ones that dont fit after wearing them around the house for a week.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook