RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

go_dyno

Jan 20, 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #1 of 10 (610 views)
Shortcut

Insoles Recommendations?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had a highball bouldering accident which fractured my sesamoids in the ball of my foot years ago and if I walk, climb long distances in hard sole boots (ice, alpine) it inflames the main tendon under my foot and looks feels like there is a steel ball bearing the size of a marble under the ball of the foot. Hurts like Hell and once inflamed takes weeks to calm down.

So, I use Green Superfeet for narrow heel, high arch but need some real cushion under the ball of my feet which superfeet do NOT do. I have just started using Montrails fancy inserts which seem to have more cushion than many, but its still not adequate.

Any great insole suggestions?

kixx

Jan 20, 2007, 3:14 PM
Post #2 of 10 (591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [go_dyno] Insoles Recommendations? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Messner did the same thing you did when trying to climb over the stone wall surrounding his castle after locking himself out. (yeah, you read that right). He fell, injuring his heel and decided that high altitude climbing was now out of the picture for good. He's since taken expeditions accross vast deserts and the poles. Do some research to see what he did to fix the problem.

jmeizis

Jan 20, 2007, 4:34 PM
Post #3 of 10 (577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might try going to a podiatrist because they'll have more knowledge about how to treat the injury and what kind of orthotics would be best for that particular injury (yeah, it's expensive, but how important are your feet?). I use the SOLE thermo-moldable inserts and they're great, but I've never had an injury to that part of my foot so they may be totally useless for you.

brushman

Jan 20, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 10 (562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Though not sure, your foot pain may NOT be related to the highball accident. (Pediatrist can confirm...). However, the pain may be related to what is called a "Morton's Neuroma." (link below) I often dealt with this after long approaches, hikes (bottom/ball of left foot, between 3rd and 4th toes). I tried the Superfeet green insoles with no relief. After much medical research and trial & error, I discovered that wearing softer insoles (Sof Sole brand) and boots/shoes with wider toe boxes allieviated the pain. Some folks wear metatarsal pads under the ball of the feet, but this never felt comfortable for me. So, experiment, and research online, as there is much information available. Good luck!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468

(This post was edited by brushman on Jan 21, 2007, 1:24 AM)

go_dyno

Jan 21, 2007, 2:36 AM
Post #5 of 10 (528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brushman] Insoles Recommendations? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all, but I know exactly what the prob is I have x-rays to remind me. The 2 sesamoid bones are split in half,so instead of being a smooth guide for the tendon to allow it to move and flex under extreme pressure which is what these bones embedded into tendons over joints do... it now creates the opposite...a now rough pressure point irritant for the tendon when its worked hard against a hard surface, such as rigid soled climbing boots or my cowboy boots on pavement or my old bird hunting boots, or dress shoes, etc.

I've got the spenco heavy duty insoles in some day wear boots but they are heavy and too thick in the heel for performance footwear. Plus I'm not certain, but I think the Spenco Greens and the Dr. Scholls blue gels might freeze. I'm gonna go put both outside right now (27 degrees) and see if they freeze. I'll let you know.

Also the last podiatrist I went to said he would have to physicaly modify all my foot wear by carving out a hole where the ball of my foot went and filling it with a special gel. Very expensive (yes, feet worth it) but now I have a big hole in the bottom of my goretex, blah, blah hitech material boots. Kinda scary since I have all my La Sportiva boots sitting in front of me now and that is $1550 in boots and what if this modification after a year or 2 casuse the soles to snap in half or something? I guess I should atleast have my Lhotses done as a test boot.

brushman

Jan 21, 2007, 3:09 PM
Post #6 of 10 (509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I understand...

In my case, when attempting to relieve the Morton's Neuroma tendon/nerve pain (different location, but similar to what you have described), I too, had the issue with the weight and "bulkiness" of various insoles in my performance footwear. I tried everything! Insoles that provided forefoot comfort were too thick in the heel, thinner insoles provided no pain relief, etc. Half insoles? Metatarsal pads? -- neither stayed in place. Arch supports to relieve forefoot pressure? -- I tried the green Superfeet with no success. Of course, as you mentioned, having multiple pairs of boots customized is VERY expensive. What to do?

Well, I started to notice that every time I wore my old, beat-up, broken-in, stretched-out Mountain Masters (Sof Sole -blue- insoles) on long approaches, my foot never hurt! Why? After studying the situation, I realized that they were larger in size than my other boots/shoes, and had very roomy toe boxes. According to the medical research, a wider toe box allows the forefoot to "splay" more naturally when weighted, thus avoiding the pinch-pressure placed on the nerves. This, in addition to softer insoles, allieviates the firey pain. So, now, when buying performance boots/shoes that will be used on long approaches/hikes, I usually go with a larger size to allow for the volume of padded insoles, thicker socks, and spacious (wider) toeboxes. So far, this has worked for me.

Sorry if this seems too much, but I fully understand your frustration and your quest for pain relief!

Best of luck!

thedejongs

Jan 21, 2007, 3:37 PM
Post #7 of 10 (502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got narrow feet/heel, high arches and nearly ruined my knees years ago. I find that Shock Doctor Ultra Arch insoles are the way to go (the arch height is adjustable). About $35 on the web.

go_dyno

Jan 22, 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #8 of 10 (480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thedejongs] Insoles Recommendations? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Guys!
I'm gonna order one of each brand to go with my unbelievably huge insole collection. When I buy a house I'm gonna panel my gear room with insolesWink

Brushman, its ridiculous to think we can answer all questions in posts in just 1-2 paragraphs. The more info the better! As far as toe boxes go you should read my post in the thread "BOOT RECOMMENDATIONS" I think you will get a big laugh out of it! Thanks Again!

sidepull

Jan 22, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #9 of 10 (478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A while ago (6-12 months) a guy was posting about a set of insoles he'd developed that were rubber and were supposedly extremely good at absorbing shock (he claimed that several professional sports teams in the NBA and NFL used his insoles). Sorry, I can't remember the name. It might be in the websites forum - you could try searching.

Good luck.

sidepull

Jan 22, 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #10 of 10 (477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here it is:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ing=insoles;#1356897

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook