RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

Flyweight

Jan 27, 2007, 5:53 PM
Post #1 of 20 (2061 views)
Shortcut

What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a new climber and have been climbing indoors only at this point. I find that my feet can get pretty sweaty, but this isn't a problem I usually have in other sports. I wear the 5-10 Siren shoes which I really like (they are synthetic). Should I try something made from learther instead, for more breathability? Should I try some powder? Socks, maybe? It's annoying because my feet tend to slip when the moisture builds up.

Thanks.

sjm915

Jan 27, 2007, 6:58 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Flyweight] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd try out some baby powder, You can even get a spray thats similar to athletes foot spray that dries out your feet.

caughtinside

Jan 27, 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sjm915] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

take off your shoes between climbs. If possible, alternate between two pairs of shoes between climbs.

I think leather shoes do breathe better, but your feet will get sweaty no matter what if you don't take your shoes off. I like slippers for the gym, easy on and off.

charley

Jan 27, 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #4 of 20 (2016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

foot powder after climbing, it leaves some in there to help dry feet next time.
light nylon socks or womens footies.
spray deoderant before climbing.

gblauer

Jan 28, 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #5 of 20 (2009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my feet are super sweaty (after a day of climbing my shoes are SOAKED).

Some people suggest using antiperspirant on your feet, I have never tried this out...not too into the extra chemicals.

I let my shoes air dry, i have tried all kinds of products in my shoes to reduce the stench and none of them can tackle my particular brand of stink.

Sometimes I put odor eaters foot powder in the shoes, but that just gums them up for future climbing. I am now going to try little sacks of cedar shavings. Somehow, i doubt this will work.

Bottom line: welcome to the club!

caughtinside

Jan 28, 2007, 3:11 AM
Post #6 of 20 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for the stink, put dryer sheets in them. The stink will come back next time you climb, but you can use the same dryer sheet for a long time. doesn't leave any residue.

but for the sweating, if I'm doing single pitch cragging, I'll seriously take 3 pairs of shoes and rotate through them.

lhwang

Jan 28, 2007, 5:16 AM
Post #7 of 20 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh...nothing like cragging and pulling on a pair of moist shoes after belaying your partner!

No real suggestions for the moisture, but in terms of stink... T for Toes (from Lush). It's a foot powder with tea tree oil in it. It works like a charm...even takes the stink out of my hockey gloves and my brother's goalie equipment (if you play hockey, you know this is nothing short of amazing).

skycat

Jan 28, 2007, 6:20 AM
Post #8 of 20 (1966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In a pinch I've rubbed climbing chalk on my feet, you can't do that too often or the shoes get really grimy feeling. Sly

Of course the shoes I have now are a bit "comfy" so I can wear them for a few hours strait. The next pair I plan to get will be quite a bit smaller so wearing them for more than one climb at a time won't be possible.

zenelky

Jan 28, 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #9 of 20 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have hyperhydrosis (not sure if I spelled that right). Therefore I have SUPER sweaty hands, feet, armpits, etc. I can't hold onto jugs if I don't have chalk, and in the summer time, chalk just turns to slime. Don't fear though. There are many many good climbers who sweat a lot.

If your feet sweat, do not, let me repeat DO NOT, put any sort of powder into your shoes. Regardless of the type, it'll just turn to slime and even when you get your shoes to dry out it'll still be slippery and gross in there. I would recommend wearing a pair of thin socks. I also always carry one or 2 extra pairs of socks in my pack so that I don't have to put my sweaty climbing socks into my hiking boots on the way out. For my hands, I always carry a "chalk rag" which is just an old bandana or something that I can wipe the sweat and chalk off on when I get through climbing. When we're on multipitch routes, that baby is tied onto my harness.

Don't carry your shoes inside of your pack, hook them on the outside so that they can get air all the time. When I first started climbing, I used to get fungus in my shoes until I relized that it's because I left my shoes in my pack in between climbing sessions. That pack smelled so bad I ended up throwing it awayBlush.

I've seen no difference in leather vs. synthetic shoes. The leather ended up stretching more with me than other people since they were always wet and made my feet itch when I wasn't wearing socks for long periods of time. On the other hand, I do have the same sliding problem you have in synthetic shoes, and they tended to get the funk faster than my leather ones (I don't know why).

Hope this helps.
~Mic

clee03m

Jan 29, 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #10 of 20 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zenelky] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

foot powder. helps with smell and sweat.

acacongua

Jan 29, 2007, 4:14 PM
Post #11 of 20 (1847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're female, use the "no socks socks" - the socks that are hidden and very thin. Usually, those are a wicking material (avoid cotton) and I use them in the winter. My feet sweat and then freeze.

lena_chita

Jan 29, 2007, 4:45 PM
Post #12 of 20 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flyweight wrote:
I'm a new climber and have been climbing indoors only at this point. I find that my feet can get pretty sweaty, but this isn't a problem I usually have in other sports. I wear the 5-10 Siren shoes which I really like (they are synthetic). Should I try something made from learther instead, for more breathability? Should I try some powder? Socks, maybe? It's annoying because my feet tend to slip when the moisture builds up.

Thanks.

I noticed that 5.10 Sirens get really really wet-- I've never had quite so much moisture build-up with any of my other shoes...

What I do about it? Nothing. Though I am tempted to try lhwang's suggestion now...

But I noticed you say that your feet slip when they are wet? And you are considering socks? Maybe your shoes are too big then! B/c while I don't much like putting on wet shoes, my feet most definitely don't slip inside the Sirens even when they are wet, and there isn't room for socks either...

lmcwil

Jan 29, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #13 of 20 (1812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

one thing that helps w/ the stinkiness is to use Crystal deoderant. I'm allergic to most deoderants and antipersperants so I use the natural crystal stuff already for my underarms. But it works pretty good on the feet too.

I also definitely agree w/ the suggestion made earlier about taking off your shoes between each climb. I would think if your shoes fit properly (that is to say, uncomfortably snug) you would already be doing that though.

Flyweight

Jan 30, 2007, 1:51 AM
Post #14 of 20 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

But I noticed you say that your feet slip when they are wet? And you are considering socks? Maybe your shoes are too big then! B/c while I don't much like putting on wet shoes, my feet most definitely don't slip inside the Sirens even when they are wet, and there isn't room for socks either...

I'm a newbie and haven't worked my way up to super tight shoes yet. I have a morton's neuroma that tends to flare up, so I have to work my way into tighter shoes. My feet don't slip around a lot inside the Sirens....I just notice it a bit. I think if I tie the laces really tightly that might help as well.

colotopian

Jan 30, 2007, 3:26 AM
Post #15 of 20 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
foot powder. helps with smell and sweat.

chili powder helps too.Smile

surgicalfocus

Jan 31, 2007, 3:36 AM
Post #16 of 20 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I generally never have sweaty feet but there is something about the 5.10 Sirens that cause this to happen...and they REALLY reek in a weird way too. Even the dog is not interested!

aja

Jan 31, 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #17 of 20 (1723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skycat] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yah, lightly dust chalk in your shows. Heck I don't know? Sweaty feet, sweaty hands; it's all part of it, it's all good!

Try different shoes perhaps...and hopefully you won't get the fungusShocked!

uasunflower

Jan 31, 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #18 of 20 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aja] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i would reconsider buying shoes called 'Sirens' in the first place Wink

lena_chita

Feb 1, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #19 of 20 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uasunflower wrote:
i would reconsider buying shoes called 'Sirens' in the first place Wink

But they really are good shoes, despite the name... and despite turning into mini-ponds for feet... And despite looking a bit like blue and tan version of orange-and-grey Montrails... Wink

Report back from the trenches... I mean walls.

I was going to get Dr, Scholls foot powder, but didn't get to it so far. However, I did have Crystal antiperspirant lying around (don't like it much as an under-arm thing), so I tried it last night. And it definitely works!

Partner brent_e

Feb 2, 2007, 7:27 AM
Post #20 of 20 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] What Do I Do About Sweaty Feet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try some spray antiperspirant.

I haven't tried this yet (for winter use and keeping layers from getting soggy) but i have heard it can be a good solution.

might work in the summer, too!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook