Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
I am coming from california to Virginia, where do i climb?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

motocrosser21

Dec 30, 2006, 4:59 AM
Post #1 of 16 (13779 views)
Shortcut

I am coming from california to Virginia, where do i climb?  (North_America: United_States: Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Like i said im coming from california to jamestown (my dad is working at william and Marry college), just have a couple questions: Whats the rock like? Where is there relativley close out door climbing?

(This post was edited by thomasribiere on Dec 30, 2006, 8:55 AM)

freeforsum

Dec 30, 2006, 6:27 AM
Post #2 of 16 (13752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [motocrosser21] I am coming from california, where do i climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

motocrosser21 wrote:
Like i said im coming from california to jamestown (my dad is working at william and Marry college), just have a couple questions: Whats the rock like? Where is there relativley close out door climbing?

Where are you going?

nedsurf

Dec 30, 2006, 7:23 AM
Post #3 of 16 (13747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [motocrosser21] I am coming from california, where do i climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you better get a new hobby. how about revolutionary reenactment.

sean678

Jan 5, 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #4 of 16 (13688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [motocrosser21] I am coming from california to Virginia, where do i climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not that sure about the Jamestown area, but the Richmond area has some good stuff. It's about a 2 hr drive I think but I'm not sure. There's a 14,00 sq foot gym also, I go there a lot. West VA has the New River Gorge with hundreds of climbs but that pretty far.

(This post was edited by sean678 on Jan 5, 2007, 12:54 AM)

halfmoon

Feb 5, 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #5 of 16 (13558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [motocrosser21] I am coming from california to Virginia, where do i climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Elizabeths Furnace in the George Washington National Forest has a little bit of climbing with most routes bolted. cresant rocks also both are probably pushing close to three hours from you. I have a climbing wall at my shop, Half Moon Mountain Outfitters and limited climbing gear a few minutes from the Furnace. Like someone else said, the New River Gorge area is where most people go for a climbing destination. Theres also senaca which is almost as far in WV.
Im sure there is some boldering closer to you but you kind of live in the flatland

br

Feb 5, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #6 of 16 (13540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolescences to you and your climbing gear

bajcsi

Feb 8, 2007, 4:24 PM
Post #7 of 16 (13504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sean678] I am coming from california to Virginia, where do i climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sean678 wrote:
I'm not that sure about the Jamestown area, but the Richmond area has some good stuff. It's about a 2 hr drive I think but I'm not sure. There's a 14,00 sq foot gym also, I go there a lot. West VA has the New River Gorge with hundreds of climbs but that pretty far.

Richmond is only 45 minutes from Williamsburg and has a few climbing areas. Manchester wall is the best, but is man made. There is Belle Isle but that place is a joke. There are a few places to boulder around town and downtown is decent for buildering. The gym is a decent one as well.

The new will probably be about 4 hours from where you are at and doesn't have hundreds of climbs, rather thousands.

Bajcsi

Partner j_ung

Feb 8, 2007, 4:47 PM
Post #8 of 16 (13493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

motocrosser21 wrote:

The rock is fantastic. Unfortunately, it's also elsewhere. Not to be crass, but you're fucked. Unsure

patioogden

Feb 8, 2007, 4:58 PM
Post #9 of 16 (13488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey!
I happen to live in Williamsubvrg, and it is pretty much a black hole for climbing. At W&M there is a 90ft. traverse wall made up of rocks glued to the side of a brick building (the kinesiology dept.) and there is a brand new indoor wall at the gym which has about 8 ropes, only 25 ft. tall. Richmond is good for a workout at the gym (1 hr, 20 min. away) or at Manchester (50 min away). To get to some REAL climbing, you have to drive between 3 to 6 hours. Here's what available:
NORTH CAROLINA
Moore's Wall (my favorite), Pilot Mountain, Sauratown, Stone Mt. (great for slab and in the winter), Linville Gorge, Tablerock, Shiprock, Shortoff, Rumbling Bald, Whitesides (long, multi-pitch), Crowder's, and more but that's all that I've been to.
MARYLAND
Maryland Heights, Carderock, Great Falls, Harper's Ferry, Annapolis Rock.
WEST VIRGINIA
New River Gorge, Seneca, Summersville, Franklin
VIRGINIA
In my opinion, Old Rag Mountain has some of the best climbing around. Only 2 1/2 hours away from Williamsburg but you have to factor in a 3 mile steep hike to the top. Definitely worth it though!!!
There's also Iron Gate, MacAfee's, Crescent Rock, stuff around Harrisonburg.
Good luck and get ready to put a lot of miles on your car like me and my fiance do!!!
~Patty

ebonezercabbage

Feb 8, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #10 of 16 (13485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just moved to Virginia ( Fredericksburg, king george area) in September. Consider building a home wall.....

thats what i did. If your ever in the area and want to climb, let me know. You can use my wall.....

Of course, there is always urban bouldering.....

RockWoman

Jul 4, 2008, 4:15 AM
Post #11 of 16 (11941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebonezercabbage] Fredericksburg beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning a trip to the Fredericksburg area at the end of July. How far away is the closest, decent climbing? I'm used to climbing in the Texas Hill Country and wanted to play on some other rock while I was visiting my fam on the East Coast.
-RockWoman

lofstromc

Jul 5, 2008, 5:01 AM
Post #12 of 16 (11903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RockWoman] Fredericksburg beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a little area in Fredericksburg called Little General.
It is on river road at the bottom of a hill. It is right by the river and has a few decent climbs. You can find on t he databases here.
It is not great, but it is rock climbing.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...walk-Little_General/

dhananjay11

Aug 30, 2008, 4:04 AM
Post #13 of 16 (11583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to your complete Rock Climbing Portal! ABC of Rock Climbing is the ultimate brain food for all climbing enthusiasts out there. This site provides you with simply everything related to the sport such as various styles, skills, and techniques. We have separate sections for our information articles, a daily news desk, a climbing gear and equipment shop, a directory of holidays and travel services, and our ever growing climbing community with ongoing discussions and picture archive. Feed your mind, chalk up, and start discovering the exciting World of Rock Climbing.
-----------------------------------
Dhananjay

http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/virginia

(This post was edited by dhananjay11 on Aug 30, 2008, 4:07 AM)

braaaaaaaadley

Aug 30, 2008, 5:00 AM
Post #14 of 16 (11571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dhananjay11] I am coming from california to Virginia, where do i climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All is not lost. Williamsburg is a cool area, but unfortunately there is not too much to do as far as the night life goes. The good news is that your relatively close to Old Rag which is the most underrated area on the East Cost. If you spend your weekends at Old Rag, Seneca, and NRG you will be able to get your fix in. I would avoid Manchester wall and anything outside in Richmond unless your really desperate. Your also about 45 minutes from VB Rock Gym and I hear that another Gym is in the process of being built also in Virginia Beach. In summary, your midweek climbing is shot, but on the weekends you will be fine if your dedicated.

hersheygear88

Aug 30, 2008, 5:29 AM
Post #15 of 16 (11557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welcome to the second worst place for climbing in the US (second only to florida)... you get the gist by now, rock climbing isn't the sport of choice amongst the locals. old rag is definitely pretty solid (2-3hr drive) but i'm not sure i'd discard manchester completely(45-60min drive). it's not bad and with gas like it is, manchester is definitely the closest face you'll find. personally i like peak experience (the gym in richmond) better than the va beach gym too. the closest lifetime climbs you'll find are Great Falls (3hrs north) and NRG (4.5hrs west). basically the further you drive the better the climbing gets.

my advice: make friends from richmond/ roanoke/ harrisonburg/ alexandria/ all of the above so you have places to crash on the weekends when you're heading out to climb... personally i'm just strait moving to christiansburg in a month to get closer to iron gate and nrg.

good luck.

hersheygear88

Aug 30, 2008, 5:33 AM
Post #16 of 16 (11553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAIN SPORTS! I forgot. Right off 199 on Monticello Ave. They are the only place in town where you can buy gear. And surprisingly the selection isn't bad... if we don't have it we can ship it free from another store too.

Hence my employment there... prodeals!! WOO!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook