First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

deltav

Dec 20, 2005, 5:42 AM
Post #76 of 99 (7490 views)
Shortcut

Re: You might be a yuppy climber if.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My image of yuppies includes the "holyer than thou" attitude. So for all you so called "dirt baggers" who think being a yuppy is so dame wrong...I got news for you mutha fukas. :shock:
As far as helmets go, ARE YOU CRAZY? Ever since I saw some chick get beaned in the head with a 5lb rock form about 50ft, I will always wear a helmet...its just smart, dirt bagger or yuppy.

"I'm not afraid of avian flu"
*In Yoda's voice*
"You will be..."
the threat of avian flu becoming the next world-wide pandemic is very severe. 20 million+ people died in 1918 from avian flu.

Thanks for shopping Walmart :lol:

climbs4fun

Dec 20, 2005, 5:46 AM
Post #77 of 99 (7490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh, and hangerlessbolt was the closest of the bunch.

Nice work HB!

GO

That's the best part. ALL of those applied to him. lol

Miss you and ~T Rob. In Portland for Presidents weekend.

curt

Dec 20, 2005, 6:10 AM
Post #78 of 99 (7490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
...you started climbing in a gym.

No, that just makes you a Gumby.

Curt

Not necessarily - you could just be a noob. I know these subtle distinctions in "internet terminology" are tough for you geezers. ;)

GO

Fair enough. You can decide for yourself which of those two categories you best fit in.

Curt

locker

Dec 20, 2005, 6:24 AM
Post #79 of 99 (7490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote..."If you drive a PT Cruiser?"...........good one Jay!!!... cracked me up!!!

squierbypetzl

Dec 20, 2005, 6:24 AM
Post #80 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought yuppies were the ones who invested bigtime in gear they canīt/donīt use just for bragging rights?

Iīm so confused...

Partner cracklover

Dec 20, 2005, 6:34 AM
Post #81 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thought yuppies were the ones who invested bigtime in gear they canīt/donīt use just for bragging rights?

Iīm so confused...

You're thinking of posers. You'd be surprised at the budget they can live on and still be a gear whore. Personally I don't know how (or why!) they do it.

GO

willthethrill

Dec 20, 2005, 6:40 AM
Post #82 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have 2 sets of Trinuts by Omega Pacific.

squierbypetzl

Dec 20, 2005, 7:01 AM
Post #83 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have that BD ring for stacking your rope on multipitches.

Just drape it across your lap or a sling like the rest of us.

twaikker

Dec 20, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #84 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you admit your a yuppy on this post, then bash everyone who has described what it is to be a "yuppy".....yeah thats your cracklover, i dont understand, you claim yuppy, then talk sh#t to all of us hating on yuppies, its like your mexican and claim "spick". if your a yuppy then your a yuppy and in this day and age most people dislike yuppies.

you admit your a yuppy, then go through everyones lists and tell everyone on rc.com that those things dont apply.....maybe your just a f*cking moron and you claim to be yuppy when your only 35% of the way there.

posers are people who choose an activity because of the style, yuppies are posers of multiple activities (and assume they have greater knowledge about all things than anyone else), but you cracklover have just invented something new, a poser yuppy.....you pose to be a yuppy

deserteaglle

Dec 20, 2005, 8:04 PM
Post #85 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you admit your a yuppy on this post, then bash everyone who has described what it is to be a "yuppy".....yeah thats your cracklover, i dont understand, you claim yuppy, then talk sh#t to all of us hating on yuppies, its like your mexican and claim "spick". if your a yuppy then your a yuppy and in this day and age most people dislike yuppies.

you admit your a yuppy, then go through everyones lists and tell everyone on rc.com that those things dont apply.....maybe your just a f*cking moron and you claim to be yuppy when your only 35% of the way there.

posers are people who choose an activity because of the style, yuppies are posers of multiple activities (and assume they have greater knowledge about all things than anyone else), but you cracklover have just invented something new, a poser yuppy.....you pose to be a yuppy

Someone needs a beer...or a nap. :lol:

wildbillc

Dec 20, 2005, 8:08 PM
Post #86 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You hire a guide for your big trips
A long aproach in done in a chopper
You carry a # 5 camolot as part of your standard rack
You carry your girlfreinds gear
You stay in a hotel or condo on overnight trips

mowz

Dec 20, 2005, 8:16 PM
Post #87 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought yuppie was shorthand for young, urban entrepreneur/professional.

I never knew it had to do with "posing".

Why the hate against those who make a living they are happy with, whether financially, personally, or otherwise? How does it affect you and your state of life?

I would love to be able to get a job that pays me much more than I make now. Then I would love to spend that money on alpining lessons in Alaska, new gear, and travel. I would also like to be able to purchase a brand new Audi S8 and own a house near the Gunks. I'd buy a fucking helicopter if I could. Then I would hunt you down and cut your ropes with my chopper blades!!!!!! I would love to live the life of a billionaire and to have that money at my disposal. If that makes me a yuppie, then I'm a yuppie. I just see it as having goals and dreams.

Partner phaedrus

Dec 20, 2005, 8:21 PM
Post #88 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Community.

deserteaglle

Dec 20, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #89 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thought yuppie was shorthand for young, urban entrepreneur/professional.

I never knew it had to do with "posing".

Why the hate against those who make a living they are happy with, whether financially, personally, or otherwise? How does it affect you and your state of life?

I would love to be able to get a job that pays me much more than I make now. Then I would love to spend that money on alpining lessons in Alaska, new gear, and travel. I would also like to be able to purchase a brand new Audi S8 and own a house near the Gunks. I'd buy a f---ing helicopter if I could. Then I would hunt you down and cut your ropes with my chopper blades!!!!!! I would love to live the life of a billionaire and to have that money at my disposal. If that makes me a yuppie, then I'm a yuppie. I just see it as having goals and dreams.

You cannot be told what a yuppy is...how did the rest of that Matrix line go?

Seriously dude, in my opinion it's the people I see that don't know jack about the outdoors but throw themselves out there feeling like it's their right. For the most part it is, but the ones that annoy me are the ones who screw up and I either have to put up with their annoying behavior (excessive noise/disrespect for others) or help them out of a jam. It just so happens that many of these people are good at surviving in an Urban setting, but retarded when it comes to a rural area...the non-yuppies can be total friggin' retards in the yuppies world.

It is fun to make fun of yuppies, and rednecks, and just about everyone else, unless you start taking it seriously. Then it's just no fun.

caughtinside

Dec 20, 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #90 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Did this make any sense at all?

Partner cracklover

Dec 20, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #91 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Did this make any sense at all?

I think he's trying to say that I'm not a yuppie. I guess he can say whatever he damn well pleases about me, facts are facts.

So let me get this straight - the thing that is worst about a yuppie is that he just climbs because climbing is "in style", and he can't actually think for himself, right? Well apparantly yuppies are okay to bash now. I guess that's what's "in style". Apparantly all you hypocrits are guilty of exactly what you think is bad about yuppies!

Look, all I'm saying is if you want to bash climber yuppies, do it properly - for real things they do... oh, like taking climbing trips you'd never be able to afford. Oh wait - but most of you probably *are* yuppies and just don't want to admit it, so never mind!

(hint - that was my whole point).

GO

unabonger

Dec 20, 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #92 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Look, all I'm saying is if you want to bash climber yuppies, do it properly - for real things they do... oh, like taking climbing trips you'd never be able to afford. Oh wait - but most of you probably *are* yuppies and just don't want to admit it, so never mind!

(hint - that was my whole point).
GO

Amen brutha!

I wear a tie at work. I like nice ties and starched shirts.

I drive a 10 year old truck with 240k miles and bad brakes.

I have an apartment at the closest good climbing area to my home.

I have a mortgage.

I have a $130 dollar pair of sunglasses, but they're 3 years out of style and the croakie that keeps them on is probably festering with bacterial colonies that withstand Cipro.

I have a scruffy ungroomed dog. But she had a $3K surgery.

I don't own a couch.

I flew to Thailand and stayed in RaiLai at the "upscale" place. Well. At least compared to Tonsai slums.

I can afford good dental care. But my teeth are yellow.

Being a yuppie, or a dirtbag, isn't an either or proposition. I've been both, I've been neither. At the same time.

So what am I? A DirtYup? A YupBag?

Dirtbag or yuppie, I'll always BE a climber.

The BagBonger

apolobamba

Dec 21, 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #93 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread reminds me of 4 th grade. I was infatuated with Colleen. She was beautiful and 2 years older. Of course, I was crushed when she told me she loved Shaun Cassidy of the Hardy Boys.

From that day on, I hated Shaun Cassidy. I made fun of him every chance I could get but in reality, I wanted his fame, to be his age, and have Colleen's love.

The moral of the story is Twaikker is you can grow up, get a good education, make money and get the girl. But if you continue to grouse about the inequities of the have and the have nots, all you will have is your old ass shirt that you stole from the high school cross country team.

Work hard and spend your money wisely

Partner cracklover

Dec 21, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #94 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This thread reminds me of 4 th grade. I was infatuated with Colleen. She was beautiful and 2 years older. Of course, I was crushed when she told me she loved Shaun Cassidy of the Hardy Boys.

From that day on, I hated Shaun Cassidy. I made fun of him every chance I could get but in reality, I wanted his fame, to be his age, and have Colleen's love.

The moral of the story is Twaikker is you can grow up, get a good education, make money and get the girl. But if you continue to grouse about the inequities of the have and the have nots, all you will have is your old ass shirt that you stole from the high school cross country team.

Work hard and spend your money wisely

Because this is the community forum, I cannot give you a trophy.

So these lovely ladies will have to do it for me.

Cheers!

GO

damz

Dec 21, 2005, 4:09 AM
Post #95 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Re: You might be a yuppie climber if.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Come on guys ! stop fighting back to basics : You're a yuppie when :

- you wear cams on your harness when you're not even top roping at the gym ! (I know it has already been told but I saw it ! I saw it !)

- you own a freelander helly hansen limited edition (this one is for my climbing partner who has heard so much jokes about his car that now I have to drive !)

- You wonder what is yuppie or not ( I personally have a very good excuse I can't sleep)

hangerlessbolt

Dec 23, 2005, 6:00 AM
Post #96 of 99 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Oh, and hangerlessbolt was the closest of the bunch.

Nice work HB!

GO

That's the best part. ALL of those applied to him. lol

Miss you and ~T Rob. In Portland for Presidents weekend.

*Laughs*

You're my hero

worldonastrng

Feb 10, 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #97 of 99 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hangerlessbolt] You might be a yuppy climber if.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...if you post on internet climbing forums

carabiner96

Feb 10, 2007, 2:18 AM
Post #98 of 99 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [worldonastrng] You might be a yuppy climber if.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^ What the hell were you looking for if this is what you found????? Tongue

bakedjake

Feb 10, 2007, 2:23 AM
Post #99 of 99 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hangerlessbolt] You might be a yuppy climber if.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "hangerlessbolt"]You have more than one rope and you can't see the core on any of them
You own cams
You have more than one pair of climbing shoes and they're less than 10 years old
You get a resole when you see a hole in the rubber
You own sewn slings
You own a colored biner of any sort
You drink anything other than bud, coors, or miller
Extra yuppy points if anything you DO drink has "lite" in the name
Your car is less than 15 years old
You listen to rap, tekno, or 90's country
You own a house or rent an apartment in the city
You own a cell phone
You own the book "freedom of the hills"
You have access to and know how to use the internet
Your sunglasses are scratch-free
You spent money on your tattoo(s)
You own approach shoes AND climbing shoes
Your car doesn't have a tape player
Your primary climbing partner is female
You've ever paid to climb
You rely on guidebooks to get down off a route
You meet your 'friends' online
Your climbing pants came from anywhere other than K-mart
You know the difference between down and synthetic
You can properly pronounce abseil, etrier, dulfersitz

Oh who are you kidding...if you live and climb in the US, you're likely a gawddamned yuppy[/quote]

You own two cars - one works

You have your own aparment - and your telephone service isn't disconnected

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook