First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lena_chita

Feb 9, 2007, 3:26 AM
Post #1 of 34 (1272 views)
Shortcut

What would you do if...
Report this Post
Can't Post

... you showed up at school to pick up your 2nd-grader from after-care, and discovered that no one knows where he is?

Even though the said child ALWAYS stays in the after-care on Thursdays and he was on the after-care list for that day?

And what would you say if you discovered upon racing home that someone screwed up and sent the child home by bus and the said child had to wait OUTSIDE for 2 hours in 10F weather with God knows what windchill b/c of it?

I'm still shaking. Yes, I called the principal, and after-care director, yada-yada, and complained. Yes, they were properly horrified and appologetic and are promising to investigate the incident and make sure that nothing like this ever happens again...

But it is so inadequate. I want blood! I want to kick and scream and bite and GET someone for doing this to my child! His feet were so cold he could barely walk. He was scared out of his mind standing there in the cold and dark. I want to kill someone!

dr_feelgood

Feb 9, 2007, 3:38 AM
Post #2 of 34 (1268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

two words...
Curb Stomp

"bite the curb... bite the fuckin curb"
I'm livid. And i don't even have kids. Stoopid mofos can't keep accountability of someone's kid. What if it was someone's panel van, or some other potentially dangerous situation.

dr_feelgood

Feb 9, 2007, 3:40 AM
Post #3 of 34 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh and i'd also give your kid a key...

Partner tattooed_climber

Feb 9, 2007, 3:48 AM
Post #4 of 34 (1259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i second the key notion

hopefully you also have some trusting neighbours (give them your work number so your kid can get ahold of you, etc)

hey, shit happens....at the same time, it is your kid we're talking here

screaming and yelling at people isn't gonna turn back what happened or prevent it...collectively figuring out what happened and finding new measures will

lena_chita

Feb 9, 2007, 4:16 AM
Post #5 of 34 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tattooed_climber] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I am kicking myself for not thinking of the key. B/c he always stays in after-care we didn't think it was necessary, but obviously wrong.

DS knows the phone numbers (and has a card with them in his back-ack in case he forgets them), but that didn't help him.

The neighbor situation is rather bleak unfortunately. We have creek on one side of the house, and no one at home during the day in the few houses next to us on the other side.

carabiner96

Feb 9, 2007, 4:33 AM
Post #6 of 34 (1238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should be proud of the kid for sticking put. If i was in that situation, I would have stayed on the step till i saw something shiny or fuzzy, then i'd be off like a lawn dart.

Partner epoch

Feb 9, 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #7 of 34 (1207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What ever happened to lawn darts? I used to throw them in the air and dodge them on the way down...

OK.
Good on your kid for waiting, and it is a learning experience for both of you. My parents had a hidden key just in case something like that would happen. I think that in that situation a phone call ought to be made above whomever you talked to. Then you may get your blood. IMO complain at the highest level possible, shit rolls down hill faster and thicker that way.

granite_grrl

Feb 9, 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #8 of 34 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Re: What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Now that's shitty. I would hope that something will come of your complaints, but I rather doubt it. I feel like no one has listened to a single complaint that I've had over the past few months. The best that I've been able to do is give the insuance companys more work, even if it doesn't give me any more money. I still don't know what I'm supossed to do about Air Canada except refuse to fly with them anymore.

coloredchalker

Feb 9, 2007, 1:10 PM
Post #9 of 34 (1197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what ever you do, don't do it with a diaper on and multiple killing devices, makes you look kinda suspicious.

wjca

Feb 9, 2007, 1:26 PM
Post #10 of 34 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Oh and i'd also give your kid a key...

Alternative to the key, if you have a garage, install a keyless entry pad (about $35 at Home Depot). If your son can remember phone numbers, he'll have no trouble remember a four digit code.

themadmilkman

Feb 9, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #11 of 34 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

But it is so inadequate. I want blood! I want to kick and scream and bite and GET someone for doing this to my child! His feet were so cold he could barely walk. He was scared out of his mind standing there in the cold and dark. I want to kill someone!

Well, since actually killing them would land you in jail, may I suggest the next best thing.

Call a lawyer.

lena_chita

Feb 9, 2007, 4:41 PM
Post #12 of 34 (1161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coloredchalker] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coloredchalker wrote:
what ever you do, don't do it with a diaper on and multiple killing devices, makes you look kinda suspicious.

Yes, I figured that part. Do you think a long black trench coat and a nachine gun would look better?

carabiner96 wrote:
You should be proud of the kid for sticking put.

Yeah, and he actually thought of wedging himself between the storm door and the entrance door. At least it kept kept him out of the wind. Thank God for that b/c I'm sure he would have been frostbitten and much much colder otherwise.

It is quite amazing how many screw-ups had to have happened for this situation to occur, starting with the secretary who put him on the bus list for no reason, then with the after-care people who never thought to check why the child who was on their list for the day never showed up, then with the bus driver who was supposed to wait to make sure the child got inside (rule for elementary-school kids). And of course it had to happen on a day with windchill in the negative degrees...

DS now knows how to open the door and has a key for it and knows how to open the garage door (a few more drills won't hurt). Now I need to think of the contingency plan for when he loses the key and forgets the code for the garage...

climbs4fun

Feb 9, 2007, 4:48 PM
Post #13 of 34 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a "step-daughter" about your son's age. She's also a second grader. She uses a cell phone like a champ. Not sure if that's good or bad, but we discussed the option of giving her one of those cell phones for kids that only dials pre-set numbers. You can program up to four numbers I think. In a situation like this one, that phone would have come in handy.

granite_grrl

Feb 9, 2007, 6:36 PM
Post #14 of 34 (1137 views)
Shortcut

Re: What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that cell phones can come in handy for little kids, but I still hate that it seems like every kid has one.

I guess I grew up in an area where the back door would generally stay unlocked and I had a stay at home mother. Times change.

Why didn't he just go over to one of the neighbours?

lena_chita

Feb 9, 2007, 6:50 PM
Post #15 of 34 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No neighbors at home... We live in a weird place. It is pretty deserted during the day. And sadly, we don't even know many of our neighbors.

Plus, I think he was just terrified of going anywhere. It was dark, the house was familiar, and everything else was the big scary unknown. He probably thought that since he was told to go home by bus, someone must know that he is there and he is supposed to be there... DS is an Aspie, but in everyday life it really isn't an issue. It's when things don't go according to plan, he freezes both figuratively, and, in this case, literally...

One of those pre-set phones does sound like a good idea right now. Though I just KNOW he would lose it.

granite_grrl

Feb 9, 2007, 7:08 PM
Post #16 of 34 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aw geez, I feel for the little guy. He must have been pretty scared.

wjca

Feb 9, 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #17 of 34 (1109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
And sadly, we don't even know many of our neighbors.

First, fix that.

In reply to:
DS is an Aspie,

Second, what's an aspie?

dr_feelgood

Feb 9, 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #18 of 34 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm guessing aspergers...

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 9, 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #19 of 34 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Asbergers?

Oh. My. God. You need to call a lawyer.

I am sorry, and thank GOD your son is safe. Sue. Sue and get your son a nice little bit to be there for him when he is an adult and on his own.

At the minimum, this needs to be not swept away(like the school is desperately hoping) because there is OBVIOUSLY a flaw in the system. Even if that flaw was one person who was having their own issues that day mind screwed up.

I just saw a story in my local paper of a 10 year old boy missing. Gone - at 3:30 in the afternoon. PRIME pedophile cruising hour.

I am so glad your little one is safe at home right now. You must be shaking.

erisspirit

Feb 9, 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #20 of 34 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YIKES I don't have kids but this still scared me. It seems like it should take effort to do so many things wrong :(

My 6 yr old cousin has asbergers, and I can only think of bad things if he were left somewhere alone. Props to your kidlet in doing a pretty decent job given the circumstances.

charley

Feb 10, 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #21 of 34 (1055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am so glad to hear your son is safe. Like others said, don't let it die. Have someones ass and get your son some coin for his education. Those folks are paid well to take care of our children. I have seen folks loose their job for this in pburgh.

themadmilkman

Feb 10, 2007, 8:50 PM
Post #22 of 34 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Asbergers?

Oh. My. God. You need to call a lawyer.

PLEASE do that. There are so many problems that need to be fixed here, and sadly, the courtroom is the best place to do it.

winkwinklambonini

Feb 10, 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #23 of 34 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Give me a break. Where were the neighbors? This is what you get for livin' in the burbs........

Oh no! There's black people around, let's move to Aspen Hills......where everyone has their own lawnmower. Cause god forbid people share anymore, or lookout for each other.

Oh, and by the way, don't sue! That is so wrong in this case. It....was.....a......mistake! They happen. My advice:
Be mad for a little while
Purchase a key or a touchpad thingy
Get over it.

(This post was edited by winkwinklambonini on Feb 10, 2007, 10:35 PM)

carabiner96

Feb 10, 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #24 of 34 (1001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winkwinklambonini] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

winkwinklambonini wrote:
Give me a break. Where were the neighbors? This is what you get for livin' in the burbs........

Oh no! There's black people around, let's move to Aspen Hills......where everyone has their own lawnmower. Cause god forbid people share anymore, or lookout for each other.

Oh, and by the way, don't sue! That is so wrong in this case. It....was.....a......mistake! They happen. My advice:
Be mad for a little while
Purchase a key or a touchpad thingy
Get over it.

Agreed. Shit happens, kids get sent home wrong, but it turned out ok. Its hard to keep track of a bunch of whiny screamy snotty kids, and as angry as parents can and should be, sueing the school will accomplish nothing, just out someone out of their job.

It sucked, but take a breath and just realize everything turned out ok. Give em hell, but that will be enough.

Partner lagarita

Feb 11, 2007, 3:14 AM
Post #25 of 34 (984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] What would you do if... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"carabiner96 wrote:
Agreed. Shit happens, kids get sent home wrong, but it turned out ok. Its hard to keep track of a bunch of whiny screamy snotty kids, and as angry as parents can and should be, sueing the school will accomplish nothing, just out someone out of their job.

It sucked, but take a breath and just realize everything turned out ok. Give em hell, but that will be enough.

What happens the next time and it doesn't turn out OK. "shit happens?Mad What kind of response is that?

Being a father of a three year old, if some thing happend to my daughter while in the custody of a babysitter, teacher or camp counsler, "Shit Happens" should and would be the last thing they would say.

Shit does happen but when these people that we intrust to take all possible means to protect our children are incompetent, some one should burn. The fact that it got past as many people as it did is even more concerning.

my $.02

Sean

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook