RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

bigfatrock

Feb 7, 2007, 7:59 PM
Post #1 of 12 (733 views)
Shortcut

Red Point Style
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am still fairly new to climbing and had a question in regards to red point ascents. Is it ever common practice to top rope a route before climbing it on sport or does on usually lead it and take numerous falls to learn the route before climbing it on lead? I am curious because I am always reading about climbers red pointing routes but hear very little about how the got the red point.

anthonycuskelly

Feb 7, 2007, 8:05 PM
Post #2 of 12 (726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Red Point Style [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most people will just try and lead it, the number of falls depends a bit. The only time I know of people toproping before leading is if there's a scary lack of gear, or if they're a beginner. As an indication:

Onsight: Someone lead the climb without beta (knowledge of the climb), and without previously attempting it.

Redpoint: Someone lead the climb. This may involve toproping, previous lead attempts, lots of beta. Some only consider it a redpoint if any gear (trad gear or quickdraws) was placed on lead.

Pinkpoint: Someone lead the climb, on pre-placed gear. Often considered the same as a redpoint.

Dogged: Someone fell lots attempting to lead the climb.

Pinkpointing, dogging, toproping, aiding can all go into a redpoint, it's not considered important. Hope that helps.

Feb 7, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #3 of 12 (717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Redpoint describes the actual 'succseful' ascent.

It says nothing about the previous 'pratice' runs.

bigfatrock

Feb 7, 2007, 8:20 PM
Post #4 of 12 (707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [112] Red Point Style [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

112 wrote:

Right, I realize that, but my question is how do people prepare for a redpoint? Are they working the route on top rope until the have the route memorized or are they taking numerous falls on lead then coming back to the problem to get the redpoint?

silascl

Feb 7, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #5 of 12 (683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Basically, those are both common tactics to practice before you redpoint a route. If there is a bolt right before the crux you're working, not a big fall, may as well lead. If a crux happens to be a dangerous fall (not too likely but possible) then top roping may be a better method. Really just depends on the situation

Feb 7, 2007, 9:42 PM
Post #6 of 12 (648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfatrock wrote:
112 wrote:

Right, I realize that, but my question is how do people prepare for a redpoint? Are they working the route on top rope until the have the route memorized or are they taking numerous falls on lead then coming back to the problem to get the redpoint?

I see, this is a question about different training techniques.

Personnally I don't train for Redpoints. I attempt to climb in the spirit of onsight climbing. 1st time go. If you get it clean on subsequent attempts; its just training.

caughtinside

Feb 7, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #7 of 12 (639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

112 wrote:
Personnally I don't train for Redpoints. I attempt to climb in the spirit of onsight climbing. 1st time go. If you get it clean on subsequent attempts; its just training.

no, if you get it clean on subsequent attempts, it's redpointing.

which can also be training.

Feb 7, 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #8 of 12 (610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Red Point Style [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:

I don't think you understand MY statement. To ME it is just training (a particular form called redpointing). To you it may be a goal in and of itself.

caughtinside

Feb 7, 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #9 of 12 (605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

112 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

I don't think you understand MY statement. To ME it is just training (a particular form called redpointing). To you it may be a goal in and of itself.

No, I got what you were saying.

I just thought it was silly, so I'd harass you about it a bit.

deadhorse

Feb 11, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #10 of 12 (514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Red Point Style [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget to mention flash; a redpoint on the first attempt of a climb that particular visit, but having already climbed it at a previous date

overlord

Feb 11, 2007, 7:55 PM
Post #11 of 12 (505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] Red Point Style [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:
don't forget to mention flash; a redpoint on the first attempt of a climb that particular visit, but having already climbed it at a previous date

no, thats totally wrong...

flash i climbing the climb in first try (no falls) with some beta. it is basicly an onsight with beta.

musicman1586

Feb 11, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #12 of 12 (482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] Red Point Style [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:

As already stated, a flash is a dumbed down onsight, you can't flash a route if you've ever been on it before. You can flash a route in many ways though: if you've watched someone climb the route already before you get on it, then it's a flash if you send it first go, if you get beta while on the ground or while on the climb it's a flash, some go as far as saying that if you've even talked about the climb with someone ie: "the key is to get your left hand on the flake and drop knee" that you only get the flash, etc.

Anyways, to the OP as others have said, a redpoint mearly means you lead it with no pre-placed gear, nothing more, nothing less. However, I would like to say that if your sport climbing (clipping bolts) pink-pointing really doesn't "exist' in alot of places, typically you can claim a redpoint if you had draws hanging already, as most hard sport routes are sent in this manner. This is because the general ease of clipping bolts compared to placing gear. However, with trad climbing pink-pointing and red-pointing are two very different things, as placing gear really does add an entirely different aspect to the climb.
On a counterpoint though, I will say that in some areas people take placing draws on lead seriously, so you might hear some dissenting opinions, and on top of that, there are climbs where clipping bolts is a major part of the route, I can think of one off the top of my head where one of the major cruxes in the route is clipping the second bolt.
Kyle

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook