RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mitchummm

Feb 12, 2007, 1:52 PM
Post #1 of 4 (224 views)
Shortcut

CRUX highball pad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.boulderingpads.com/climbing_gear/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=404

I really dont care about weight or size. This mother is huge and thats what i want. Has anybody used it?
Is the foam quality and build quality good? The price is great.

thanks

chalker7

Feb 12, 2007, 4:01 PM
Post #2 of 4 (179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mitchummm] CRUX highball pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've gotta bump this one, because I'm thinking of buying it too and there hasn't been any gear reviews on it yet. Come on people, help us out here...

musicman1586

Feb 12, 2007, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 4 (161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] CRUX highball pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing I would say is that this thing is an ankle snapper, 6" tall, if you hit the side of that thing coming down off a fall your going to twist your ankle badly if not break it. I'm scared of my mad pad at 4" inches thick, 6" is not worth it to me, that's why a lot of manufacturer's are sticking with around 3.5" and going as far as to make rounded corners and "stair-steps" around the edges to prevent ankle twisters when you hit the edge of your pad. Then again, the thing is so big that your less likely to hit the edge if you have a good spotter. Another consideration I'd point out is that the pad is going to weigh a ton, and with the minimal straps it's going to hurt even on shorter approaches likely, as well as being a pain to navigate through cramped terrain.
Not trying to ruin this for you, just trying to point some things out, I had a friend that had a pad that big and he hated it all the time except for when he was landing on it, so if you can put up with all the inconvenience of hauling it around it might be worth it. Just want to get those thought out there before you dish out the cash and realize these things later.

chalker7

Feb 12, 2007, 7:48 PM
Post #4 of 4 (113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [musicman1586] CRUX highball pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for you're constructive response. I am glad you brought up the ankle busting point and will keep that in mind. I, like the OP, am not worried about the size issue. I like the surface area and thickness (I'm a big sissy) so I think I can overcome the inconvenience and the ankle issue (not much of a high-baller here). Thanks again for your insight.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook