Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

olderic

Feb 13, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #26 of 56 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently did a 23 pitch sport route (Time Wave Zero at the Potrero) with my son. He used a Gri-Gri and I used an ATC. We traded barbs the whole way up as to which was more appropriate. When it came to simu-rapping 23 pitches I have to admit that the lad was right.

redpoint73

Feb 13, 2007, 6:37 PM
Post #27 of 56 (2244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
The grigri is a wonderful device but is not for the inexperienced.

And which device would you want an inexerienced belayer belaying you with?Sly

Does an experienced climber count as a device?

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2007, 7:31 PM
Post #28 of 56 (2235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
I recently did a 23 pitch sport route (Time Wave Zero at the Potrero) with my son. He used a Gri-Gri and I used an ATC. We traded barbs the whole way up as to which was more appropriate. When it came to simu-rapping 23 pitches I have to admit that the lad was right.

I'm curious as to why? I recently did my first simulrap, and I was certainly more comfortable with my auto-locking device than my partner was with her tube style one. But I think that was mostly because of the midair shenannigans that, um, happened.

GO

sspssp

Feb 13, 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #29 of 56 (2230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint73 wrote:
sspssp wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Hip belay?

sspssp

Feb 13, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #30 of 56 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
olderic wrote:

I'm curious as to why? I recently did my first simulrap, and I was certainly more comfortable with my auto-locking device than my partner was with her tube style one. But I think that was mostly because of the midair shenannigans that, um, happened.

It is nice to have a device that locks off when you want to untangle a rope while rapping. Grigri for simul-rapping is great for this (the old Cinch is a pain for rapping but I have high hopes for the new one).

redpoint73

Feb 13, 2007, 7:47 PM
Post #31 of 56 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
redpoint73 wrote:
sspssp wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Hip belay?

Sure, why not?

olderic

Feb 13, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #32 of 56 (2226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
cracklover wrote:
olderic wrote:

It is nice to have a device that locks off when you want to untangle a rope while rapping. Grigri for simul-rapping is great for this (the old Cinch is a pain for rapping but I have high hopes for the new one).
Yeah the ability to goes hands free easily with a Gri-Gri is nice (we were taking a lot of other short cuts - such as no friction knot to leg loop back up in the name of speed - I don't want to get into discussion on rappel safety...) when you are trying to keep the ropes out of the cactuses. there were several very diagonaling pitches that required clipping the rope you have weighted back through some fixed direction draws on the rappel - two hands make that easier. And just the lack of friction with a skinny single strand and an ATC when you are getting near the end of the strand means you have to clamp down pretty tight with your hand - gets tiring (again I know several ways to increase the friction with an ATC - this is not about that). Zeb using a Gri-Gri had none of those problems.

the_climber

Feb 13, 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #33 of 56 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

I have been dropped by more people using a GriGri than I care to admit. However, I have never been dropped by someone using a Tube or Plate type device. I realy don't give a hoot what type of belay device someone uses, so long as they are a good belayer; that means they are well versed in many situations and have a good working knowledge of the fact that all equipment has it's limitations, and that opperator error and poor communication is THE cause of 99% of accidents related to belaying. It also means that they are attentive, and NEVER forget that it is Their responsibility to do the work, not the belay device. Remember Kids, that break hand still never leaves that rope regardless of wether or not the device is "designed" to lockoff.

a post I made in another thread wrote:

Devices such as the GriGri and Cinch are great additions to the existing gear, but in my oppinion should only be used be those experianced enough to know that they still have the job to do, not the device. I could see myself using such a device on a long belay while aid climbing where even the most attentive of belayers could unintentionally let their minds wander, but for me there is no replacement for good belay skills with a tube/plate type device, and the experiance gain from years of climbing. There is also no replacement for proper and clear communication.

I'm not that old yet, but remember when half the people you climbed with had stitchplates, almost everone could whip together a biner break, and a GriGri was something no-one had ever heard of. It is truely a shame that because a lot of people thought that these devices were a 'short cut' to good belaying such controversy over their use seems to be a daily topic. This especially when the real problem has been a lax approach to belaying in general by many. Belaying is one of the most important parts of the climbing system, but unfortunatly seems to recive far less respect than it is due.

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #34 of 56 (2190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
I have been dropped by more people using a GriGri than I care to admit. However, I have never been dropped by someone using a Tube or Plate type device.

So how do you explain that? Are you less cautious about checking belaying habits when hooking up with an unknown belayer with a gri-gri? If so, that would suggest that you yourself have unrealistic expectations of the gri-gri.

Or does the gym where you climb insist on gri-gris? If so, that hardly proves that one is any safer than the other - it just shows that clueless gymbies are clueless gymbies.

Please advise,

GO

the_climber

Feb 14, 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #35 of 56 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
the_climber wrote:
I have been dropped by more people using a GriGri than I care to admit. However, I have never been dropped by someone using a Tube or Plate type device.

So how do you explain that? Are you less cautious about checking belaying habits when hooking up with an unknown belayer with a gri-gri? If so, that would suggest that you yourself have unrealistic expectations of the gri-gri.

Or does the gym where you climb insist on gri-gris? If so, that hardly proves that one is any safer than the other - it just shows that clueless gymbies are clueless gymbies.

Please advise,

GO

It more or less shows that many of the noobs these days are being taught how to belay and use GriGri's, and other such devices, wrong. Most noobs I climb with are being taught how to belay by me, and only with a tube style belay device. This way I know they are learning correctly. I more or less put potential belayers through a belay test before trusting them regardless of whether I'm in a gym or outside. Lessons learned the hard way you might say. Auto-locking belay devices tend to encourage a lax approach to belaying, especially for noobs. They tend to put trust in the device before they develop trust in themselves as belayers. So in that sence the blame could be assigned to the nature of the device, but moreso to ingnorance. The rest of the blame is upon those teaching noobs how to use these devices. Most people I see teaching how to use a GriGri have no real clue as to how it was designed to work. Add to this disterbing trends such as many people teaching a hand over hand methood of taking in slack... it's a recipe for disaster. Think about how bad habits translate to new belayer when they use ATC's.
Whereas, most people teaching or using a tube or plate style belay device typically place a little more importance on 'their' roll as belayers (speeking mostly of noobs, but not entirely). Most Gym instructors I see teaching how to use ATC's ensure they instill a great importance that the decive won't do the work for you and that the belaying is up to the belayer and not the device. They drive home a seriousness about belaying that they do not with a GriGri.... after all the grigri catches the climber for you.... right? Whereas the same instructors are raving about how a GriGri locks off and does sooooo much for you when they teach a noob how to belay with said device.

All accept one of my being dropped by a GriGri experiances has been while being lowered. I'm heavier than most climbers and it has been a situation where a noob panics and pulls the lever MORE and holds on less. I have been dropped on lead... I can only suspect, but my guess is the individual in question was still holding down the device to feed rope and was too much of a idiot to a) let go of the device so it could work as designed, and b) to keep his break hand to the rope. Bottom line is that the GriGri should not be tought as a Basic device. You should have developed proper belay skills prior to learning the ins and outs of them. I don't dislike them, in fact I think they are great ADDITIONS to the gear that is out there.

I'm taking this from another thread in the Accidents & Injuries forum:
In reply to:
The worst crime ever perpetrated against the grigri was when someone made the assumption that they are good for beginners because they are automatic. NOT!
Climb safe

cracklover wrote:
Or does the gym where you climb insist on gri-gris?
I have an acute adversion to gym climbing the past few years. I'll do it from time to time, but hey, it just doesn't 'feel' right. I climb ice and rock, and I like the cold... there is no off season. But I have been to a number of gyms that only allow GriGri's... I alway refuse to pay the rental.

deadhorse

Feb 14, 2007, 9:31 PM
Post #36 of 56 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Simul-rapping? Is that when theres a climber on each end of the rope, rapping at the same time? If so, ever get one guy to drop real fast then jerk to a stop so the other guy goes up? haha unsafe i know, but i'd have to try it once.

I agree with the long raps w/ skinny ropes. Or static rope, my static has NO grab in my ATC and I've gotten pretty worried when my hand cramps rapping down off cliffs. I just really REALLY wish there was a twin rope capable autolocking device!! (come on product developers, I know you read here!) I have an 8mm ice twin that my gri gri locks on, but thats pretty sketchy.

Sport climbs that are long- you can't really go wrong with either (i mean, not as your experienced)
Shorter sport climbs I don't like the gri gri because i keep more tension, and i'm (personally) not so hot att feeding i guess.
trad- atc (or xp or guide or reverso)

Partner cracklover

Feb 14, 2007, 9:49 PM
Post #37 of 56 (2139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:
I just really REALLY wish there was a twin rope capable autolocking device!! (come on product developers, I know you read here!)

There are.

GO

bobruef

Feb 14, 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #38 of 56 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Davey] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Davey wrote:
I really like the GriGri for top roping on a long day. But the GgiGri is to hard to feed out...

It gets easier when you learn how to use it properly.

becker513

Feb 15, 2007, 3:22 AM
Post #39 of 56 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobruef] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i suppose one could alway opt for a Cinch

fearlessclimber

Feb 18, 2007, 2:07 AM
Post #40 of 56 (2067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i prefer a grigri for belaying aid pitches

miavzero

Feb 18, 2007, 4:46 AM
Post #41 of 56 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobruef] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bobruef wrote:
Davey wrote:
I really like the GriGri for top roping on a long day. But the GgiGri is to hard to feed out...

It gets easier when you learn how to use it properly.
Actually, it becomes easier to use when you learn to use it somewhat improperly. Sqeezing the device when you are feeding is the way to go. You certainly have to stop sqeezing if the climber falls (duh!)

notapplicable

Feb 18, 2007, 5:17 PM
Post #42 of 56 (2032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miavzero] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GriGri's have there place (although I doubt I will ever own one) but for some reason if my belayer is using one it sketches me out just a little. Kind of like top rope soloing with an ascender, I'm always just a little bit hesitant to weight the thing, I know I'm being neurotic but I cant help it. Also I think I'm to cheap to get a GriGri, they just strike me as being superfluous. To each there own.

zeke_sf

Feb 18, 2007, 5:31 PM
Post #43 of 56 (2024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How much are people hangdogging? I've belayed people who've hung out for extended periods of time with my ATC and it has never been a problem.

perionychium

Feb 18, 2007, 5:46 PM
Post #44 of 56 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [becker513] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I suppose I am going to be one of the few to advocate the grigri. Personally, it depends on what type of climbing you are doing, if I was on trad, the reverso would be my weapon, but when it comes to lead climbing, I like my grigri more due solely to the autolocking feature. Be aware: the grigri may cause sloppy belaying, but just treat the grigri as if you were belaying with ATC.

In the end: it comes down to personal preference and to which device you feel more comfortable using.

notapplicable

Feb 18, 2007, 7:39 PM
Post #45 of 56 (2006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [perionychium] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

perionychium wrote:
if I was on trad the reverso would be my weapon, but when it comes to lead climbing, I like my grigri more

Trad? But not on lead? All that snow induced cabin fever is takeing its toll on you yanks, what is this newfangled sport of which you speak?Crazy Tongue

perionychium

Feb 18, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #46 of 56 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! The snow is starting to get to me. Like, a lot.

But, regardless, I think you misinterpreted my statement. I WOULD use a grigri on lead. My reverso is reserved for trad.

kriso9tails

Feb 18, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #47 of 56 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
How much are people hangdogging? I've belayed people who've hung out for extended periods of time with my ATC and it has never been a problem.

Int's not an issue of it being a problem; it's an issue of what's more comfortable.

patto

Feb 18, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #48 of 56 (1980 views)
Shortcut

Re: gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gri gri has its place. Some people love it for all leading especially hangdogging sport climbing. Personally I use my reverso for everything.

When I take climbing noobs up the cliff I usually try to give them a gri-gri to belay with. I makes it easier for them and safer for me. Though I would eventually get them to belay me with a tube device so they can learn to belay properly.

drfelatio

Feb 18, 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #49 of 56 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:

Int's not an issue of it being a problem; it's an issue of what's more comfortable.

Agreed. It's not that it's a problem, its just that it gets a bit tiring after a while. If you're using an ATC and your climber is hangdogging, have them clip directly into a bolt using a sling girth hitched to their harness. That way you won't have to bear their weight anymore.

drfelatio

Feb 18, 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #50 of 56 (1972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [perionychium] gri gri vs. atc [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

perionychium wrote:
Ha! The snow is starting to get to me. Like, a lot.

But, regardless, I think you misinterpreted my statement. I WOULD use a grigri on lead. My reverso is reserved for trad.

I get what you're saying, but your terminology is confusing. The way you've worded things, you've made it sound like lead climbing isn't a part of trad climbing and that is not true.

Perhaps you mean you'd use the Gri-Gri for SPORT climbing and you'd use the Reverso for trad. Both styles involve lead climbing.

To further your point, I'd say that I wouldn't use the Gri-Gri anytime you have a multi-pitch route, regardless of whether that is sport or trad. Why carry up a Gri-Gri when you're going to need an ATC-like device to rappel anyway? For single-pitch cragging, though, it doesn't really matter which device you use as you most likely won't be belaying a second from above.

(This post was edited by drfelatio on Feb 18, 2007, 11:39 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook