Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 6:08 PM
Post #1 of 35 (5186 views)
Shortcut

bouldering at indian creek
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First of all, WHY? Why are you doing this? I think we have enuff problems (NO PUN) without people bouldering right off the main road on private property with loads of white chalk. WTF!!!!
I understand you want to boulder but please just go to big bend neer moab if ya want to boulder. Their has been a lot of new activity with bouldering in the creek and i think it should stop, we dont need to mess up the land any more that we already do. And if you MUST boulder at least have the decency to leave your chalk at home.
it looks so bad on the boulders stands out so much and in a place like indian creek, bouldering has no place along with white chalk.
IMHO

titles's typo edited by thomasribiere (Mod)

(This post was edited by thomasribiere on Feb 28, 2007, 10:16 PM)

Creek_Nostalgia

Feb 24, 2007, 6:26 PM
Post #2 of 35 (5177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [live2climb] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you. And i think we need to bring less negative attention to the creek so we can continue to climb there...

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #3 of 35 (5170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Creek_Nostalgia] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

its getting close to being a fee area, they just put in a new bathroom at beef basin road hopefully this will help with the human waist problem anothor thing that just amazes me that people can be like they are. Sad Sad Sad.

rainontin

Feb 24, 2007, 6:37 PM
Post #4 of 35 (5166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for clarifying what I can and cannot do and what areas are SPORTRAD CLIMBING ONLY. You are correct, bouldering has no place in areas with boulders. All climbers wishing to boulder should proceed directly to the nearest climbing gym to leave the pristine wilderness to other, more important user groups. Thank you for clearing this issue up.

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #5 of 35 (5159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rainontin] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SPORTTRAD HAHAHAHA Have you been to the creek? If so you would relize that it is a beautifull delicat special place with rich history and a fragiel eco system. The veary dirt you walk on is living and takes thousands if not nillions of years to grow. I am not tellin gyou what you can and can not do. Thats your call. am just saying that it is not a veary smart idea to esablish boulder broblems in indian creek with all the issus that awe already face.
Plus the boulders suck their they are all chossy and break so why not just leave them alone.
sporttrad hahahahah
nice to hear from a huggie

kane_schutzman

Feb 24, 2007, 6:50 PM
Post #6 of 35 (5155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rainontin wrote:
Thank you for clarifying what I can and cannot do and what areas are SPORTRAD CLIMBING ONLY. You are correct, bouldering has no place in areas with boulders. All climbers wishing to boulder should proceed directly to the nearest climbing gym to leave the pristine wilderness to other, more important user groups. Thank you for clearing this issue up.

Can't you see that there is a more important subject at hand? Then you decide to pull the race card, not cool..

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 6:51 PM
Post #7 of 35 (5155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an interesting thing both people who have chimed in so far both work at a climbing gyms and totaly differens veiws. one smart and well thought,and the othor just plane lame. that the big diference between huggies and climbers.

Creek_Nostalgia

Feb 24, 2007, 6:52 PM
Post #8 of 35 (5153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice attitude. Indian Creek is better known for its traditional climbing... if you are looking for an ideal bouldering spot hit up big bend in moab, joshua tree, triassic, ibex... i sure you can think up a few.

Creek_Nostalgia

Feb 24, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #9 of 35 (5131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check it out.... friendsofindiancreek.org

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 7:35 PM
Post #10 of 35 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah for the freinds
we all need to be more freindly to the creek

climbingtrash

Feb 24, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #11 of 35 (5093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Creek_Nostalgia wrote:
check it out.... friendsofindiancreek.org

Here's an active link. We all need to do are part to lower the impact at the Creek so just think about what and where you are climbing so things don't become a hug issue.

sidepull

Feb 24, 2007, 8:44 PM
Post #12 of 35 (5085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

live2climb wrote:
it looks so bad on the boulders stands out so much and in a place like indian creek, bouldering has no place along with white chalk.
IMHO

as someone who acknowledges the delicacy of the environment and feels a vehement right to climb there I would expect two things from you (live2climb):

1) you encourage trad climbers to use colored chalk to lessen their impact.
2) you recognize that others also have a desire to climb there, even if their chosen discipline is bouldering, and hence you'd support their desire as long as they showed the same level of respect as you.

Sure, IC is a trad climbing area, access is becoming more tenuous, and there are other, better bouldering areas around. But those facts shouldn't preclude boulderers from climbing there. People need to be more aware of their impact, trad climbers and boulderers alike, and if they were then I don't think this thread would exist. But it doesn't help anyone to single out a user group and make an area off limits to a type of climbing.

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #13 of 35 (5060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well the two things that you expect from i do and try to get othors to do the same.
If you will re read i did say that if you must boulder pleas dont use chalk. I understad that bouldering can be fun sometimes and yes o their are boulders in IC my point is pleas dont chalk up the holds like big bend not sure if you have been their but itf fuc*ing nasty people cant even seam to figure out to read the info board where it tells you how to color your chalk. Now amagian if IC looked like big bend and i rest my case.
climbing as of now is not off limits to anything except buy rock art you can boulder climb the walls you could even clean aid their if you really want to, thats my point, its OPEN TO ALL as of now and we would like to keep it that way, and if people keep up with the bouldering with mass amounds of white chald or any othor chalk for that matter it will not be open to boulders or climbers, and thats the fuckin bottom line
so dont try and twis my workd around to try and make me the bad guy when all i am trying to do is HELP and offer sugestions to keep acess open TO ALL!
happy climbing or no climbing you be the, man?????

jsj42

Feb 24, 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #14 of 35 (5050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

live2climb,

I sure hope English is your second language.

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #15 of 35 (5048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsj42] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sure is buddie

jsj42

Feb 24, 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #16 of 35 (5046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

live2climb wrote:
all i am trying to do is HELP and offer sugestions to keep acess open TO ALL!

No, you're not. You are asking "white chalk using boulderers" to not climb there so access remains open for crack climbers. Well, I can guarantee you that crack climbers make way more of an impact on Indian Creek than boulderers. Not only that, but I can guarantee you that crack climbers are putting an order of magnitude more chalk on the sandstone in Indian Creek than boulderers ever will.

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #17 of 35 (5040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsj42] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

soi cant spell and you cant read
i am asking PEOPLE to not use white chalk on the main road on privet land so that acess will be open to PEOPLE who what to climb
go ahead boulder if ya want to but do it with care for the area and the owners of the land. Yea "trad" climbers put a lot of chalk on the wall and of course you can see that from the road, right? Again thats not my point. Have you been the the creek in the past couple weeks buddie? Its getting out of controll, and that means more issues for Everyone that climbs.
so just lets all try and make a positive change aka pack your shit our and use chalk sparingly if at all and come on, the "new" chalk on the boulders not a positive change and thats that.
or hey screw it, lets turn it in to huco tanks that will be rad eh?

live2climb

Feb 24, 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #18 of 35 (5030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

but hey lets just ask heidi how she feels about it, could go either way?

maldaly

Feb 24, 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #19 of 35 (5009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thinks it's important to remember that bouldering at the Creek has been around just as long as climbing has. In the late 70's and early 80s, when we'd camp down in the cottonwoods right across the road from Think Pink or drive into Fringe of Death Canyon, we'd spend tons of time bouldering. While we didn't go there to boulder, bouldering was an important part of the experience just as it was when we'd go to the Valley. It's hard to beat the boulders in FOD canyon.

All that said, live2climb has an important point. We need to be very sensitive to the impacts we all have when climbing, camping driving and shitting. The Creek has seemed to be a bit beyond it's capacity in the last few seasons and we need to honor and respect that in everything we do there.

Tread lightly, my friends.
Mal

quiteatingmysteak

Feb 24, 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #20 of 35 (4997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Live2climb has a really important point, and it would be a good idea for people visiting to think about their impact.

However, he may not be the best to verbalize it.

If you want to impact a change that will bring outright attention and action (ESPECIALLY on an internet forum Wink) it would be worth your 15 seconds to spellcheck. It's offered in the post coding, it really doesn't take that long, and it helps us to understand what you are trying to get across. I don't care that you can't spell, it says nothing about your convictions or your climbing ability bla bla bla ("every time you can't post a good rebuttle, attack their grammar" - Forum God) but for God's sakes your doing it on a forum, what can you expect Unimpressed

live2climb

Feb 25, 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #21 of 35 (4988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point you have.
And i do expect itWink
But I'm not going to let it stop me from making my point.
And I'm not very good at this forum thing quite yetWink
But I will work on it.

miavzero

Feb 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
Post #22 of 35 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why are you crack climbing at indian creek? We already have enough problems with climbers crowding the place, damaging the fragile environment and leaving crap all over the place.

If you want to crack climb, just go to escalante, the swell or one of the other hundreds of locations in Utah. If you are going to climb at the creek, leave your tape, chalk, poop, trash, annoying dog/girlfriend at home, and pick up after yourself.

sidepull

Feb 25, 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #23 of 35 (4964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] boulbering at indian creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

quiteatingmysteak wrote:
Live2climb has a really important point, and it would be a good idea for people visiting to think about their impact.

However, he may not be the best to verbalize it.

I agree with both statements. I have no problem with people minimizing impact, but it's absurd for white chalk toting tradsters to tell boulderers not to use it. So my real question was, Live2climb, do you ALWAYS use colored chalk? If not, you might want to hold off on some of your overly demonstrative punctuation and try approaching the issue with a bit more of a level head. If so, still, no one responds well to hystrionics.

That said, I think this speaks to a broader issue that bugging me more and more lately. I think LNT ethics are completely gone for most climbers and IC and most areas are examples of our bad behavior. I'm almost always embarrassed when I take someone climbing for the first time and I have to explain what "all the white stuff" is.

I understand that bouldering is perhaps more visible in this scenario because it is so near to the road and seems to be occuring on off limits property. But the seen closer to the cliffs is equally if not more appauling. Go to IC on any saturday and you'll see dogs roaming loose, human waste within 10 feet of the routes (poop, tp, tape, the always enigmatic tube sock), and people cutting across trails to save themselves 20 seconds getting to the car. As a climbing community we really need to demand more of each other. We need to demand that gyms teach better ethics, that mag's talk ethics more often, and that we set better examples for one another.

miavzero

Feb 25, 2007, 1:14 AM
Post #24 of 35 (4953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's always really nice to edit your profile when people start visiting.

Creek_Nostalgia

Feb 25, 2007, 5:14 AM
Post #25 of 35 (4928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its important to understand that we are all a climbing community and that ALL of us (regardless of what we climb) need to make an effort to preserve places like Indian Creek in any way we can.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook